Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2014, 16:36   #166

Re: What is the current FL anchoring policy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Have you ever used a mooring field?

Boats are much closer together in both FMB and Boot Key Mooring fields than any 2 boats would anchor.

And no, anchoring is allowed outside the mooring field (and buffer zone).
Yes, I have. Is that an argument FOR mooring fields?

They add efficiency in a limited space, at the expense of confining cruisers into that small space.

Again, not really for the benefit of cruisers, but instead for the benefit of those who want an activity confined to a controlled space.

There are certainly some advantages, but also some pretty big disadvantages. What are the motivations of those pushing this legislation? WHO is pushing this legislation? I think most cruisers are content with the freedom to anchor out where they wish.

Otherwise, they could just build the mooring fields, people would flock to them, and they wouldn't really need to offer up the local ordinances confining anchoring to those fields.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 16:53   #167

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I do not want mandatory mooring fields
Nobody is suggesting mandatory mooring fields.
Old 19-12-2014, 17:00   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
.........They add efficiency in a limited space, at the expense of confining cruisers into that small space.

Again, not really for the benefit of cruisers, but instead for the benefit of those who want an activity confined to a controlled space.

There are certainly some advantages, but also some pretty big disadvantages. What are the motivations of those pushing this legislation? WHO is pushing this legislation? I think most cruisers are content with the freedom to anchor out where they wish.

Otherwise, they could just build the mooring fields, people would flock to them, and they wouldn't really need to offer up the local ordinances confining anchoring to those fields.
Limiting boats to mooring fields and charging a nominal fee to use the moorings is a simple way to keep people from "storing" unused boats or from living on them rent free while dumping refuse and sewage overboard at night and using government services without paying property taxes.

Whatever the argument, these laws and mooring fields wouldn't have come to be if there wasn't a problem to be solved.

Realize that you are still free to anchor in most of Florida's water. Just not maybe where you would like to.
Old 19-12-2014, 17:04   #169
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Nobody is suggesting mandatory mooring fields.

What would you call an anchorage that your not allowed to anchor, you have to take a mooring then? Seems mandatory to me.
Oh, I guess your saying it's not mandatory because I don't have to stop in that town, I can just keep going?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 17:35   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
What would you call an anchorage that your not allowed to anchor, you have to take a mooring then? Seems mandatory to me.
Oh, I guess your saying it's not mandatory because I don't have to stop in that town, I can just keep going?
I wouldn't call it a "mandatory mooring field" because it's not mandatory that you moor there. We seem to be having a problem with words here.

Yes, you can keep going or you can anchor before you get there. It's not unlike parking meters on city streets. You can park next to a meter and pay for parking or you can look for a free parking space on another street.

I don't understand why you feel you have the right to park your boat just anywhere you wish for an unlimited time.
Old 19-12-2014, 17:51   #171

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Yes, I have. Is that an argument FOR mooring fields?

They add efficiency in a limited space, at the expense of confining cruisers into that small space.
No, feel free to anchor where you like outside the mooring field.

Quote:
No cruiser would anchor where the west mooring field is at FMB prior to the moorings, too many derelicts and sunken junk.

Quote:
To clean up the junk that a 'cruiser' leaves behind when their derelict sinks.

Quote:
Again, read the rules. Yes, there is a buffer zone around the mooring field, outside the buffer zone, anchor where you want. Why is this hard to understand?

Not confining of activity to a controlled space, just controlling the activity within a space. Anchor where you wish outside the mooring field.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 19:00   #172

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Let's talk about another dimension to this extravaganza that has just been introduced.

When Cuba opens it's going to destroy the florida boating industry. Florida boat manufacturers will flock there to produce and service yachts. All these megayacht facilities being built here in FL will close up shop. Cruisers, no longer welcome in their home state will flock to cruise Cuba instead of the Keys or the pain in my ass Biscayne bay marinas. Even modest income local 20 footer boats will move to Cuba because it'll be like a $30 airline ticket.

Then, florida will be begging for us to return and we will remember how badly we were treated.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 04:08   #173

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Let's talk about another dimension to this extravaganza that has just been introduced.

When Cuba opens it's going to destroy the florida boating industry. Florida boat manufacturers will flock there to produce and service yachts. All these megayacht facilities being built here in FL will close up shop. Cruisers, no longer welcome in their home state will flock to cruise Cuba instead of the Keys or the pain in my ass Biscayne bay marinas. Even modest income local 20 footer boats will move to Cuba because it'll be like a $30 airline ticket.

Then, florida will be begging for us to return and we will remember how badly we were treated.

In your dreams!

Zboss, you are (or recently were) in Saint Augustine, correct? You know that there are two mooring fields on the Matanzas River, one just north of the Municipal Marina, and one just south of it. What do you see just north and south of those? A bunch of boats at anchor. Who do you think occupies most of the mooring fields? Local live-aboards who need to commute to work every day, rain or shine, and who are willing to pay a relatively modest sum to be closer in to the dinghy dock.

Personally, I don't see where the problem is.

Believe it or not, people in Saint Augustine actually LIKE having boats on their waterfront (even the "rich" ones). It's always been part of the panorama, and the town wouldn't be the same without them. What we don't want sitting out there are 4-story megayachts (ŕ la Fort Lauderdale) or derelicts a go-go, and I don't see a problem there, either.

Jacques
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 04:49   #174
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Well there is no ICW in Cuba and the north coast is quite rough in the winter. It's actually not the best cruising destination but perhaps some marine service businesses may move. Their is a sanctioned trip of marine vendors visiting Cuba in Feburary to check things out. I may head over in April to see the mid N coast I have not been to.
Old 20-12-2014, 05:19   #175
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Have you ever used a mooring field?

Boats are much closer together in both FMB and Boot Key Mooring fields than any 2 boats would anchor.

And no, anchoring is allowed outside the mooring field (and buffer zone).
In season more boats would fit in Boot Key under anchor than at the mooring field of nowadays. People would anchor closer than the moorings and they were able to anchor in more areas. A full harbor nowadays would be about 350 boats. In the old days while anchoring a full harbor would be well over 400 boats.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 05:53   #176
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

It was a funky Wild West type place then. Now it's an RV park.
Old 20-12-2014, 06:30   #177
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
It was a funky Wild West type place then. Now it's an RV park.

Yup, sure miss the old days:-). Still a good place to get projects done on the boat as everything is close by and convenient.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 06:45   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post

You are kidding, right? I hope you don't really believe that.
Old 20-12-2014, 07:28   #179

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
In season more boats would fit in Boot Key under anchor than at the mooring field of nowadays. People would anchor closer than the moorings and they were able to anchor in more areas. A full harbor nowadays would be about 350 boats. In the old days while anchoring a full harbor would be well over 400 boats.
... And that would be a good thing? It already looks like the Mother of All Sardine Cans as it is!

Granted, I don't see why they don't allow anchoring further up the harbor (further away from the main amenities), but then, I've only seen Boot Key on Google Maps, so I really don't know what I'm talking about. Are they afraid of mass anchoring tearing up the harbor bed? Pollution issues? Navigational issues? There's got to be a reason (at least, a given one).

Jacques
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 07:44   #180
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

What I do not like about it is loss of freedom, pure and simple. Barring some major catastrophe similar to the stock market crash of the 1930's or similar, I do not think I am in any danger of becoming a derelict live-aboard, essentially a homeless person on a boat, that seems to be the biggest driving force behind mandatory mooring fields. Truthfully, I do not see myself being anything but a transient in South Fl, so honestly I'm not real concerned, I do not like crowds, my idea of paradise is a secudled anchorage all to myself, not Walmart within easy walking distance. I have a few concerns though.
1. Currently you speak of buffer zones. I see those going away and boats only being allowed to stay in mooring field, dropping anchor will be illegal. Like being able to pitch a tent anywhere you want to in a State park is disallowed.
2. Once you lose a freedom, or the ability to do something that you have always taken for granted, it may not be possible to re-gain that right.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, current