Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 14:40   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Yes you can go whereever you like. But as soon as you land in a foreign country you will have 'your' boat confiscated and you will be put in jail untill you get deported at your own cost.

You can be as slippery as you like, but you will not have a boat nor your freedom.

whos d'ont you think this is a little exesive???
I have comited no crimes...how is it illegal to own an unregistered vesel??
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 18:53   #17

As far as I kinow in parts of Canada a pleasure boat less than 10 hp (this is why there are so many 9.9's) does not need to be registered. But if he wants to travel to other countries he may want to see if he could get it documented in Canada.
blgklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 22:04   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgklr View Post
As far as I kinow in parts of Canada a pleasure boat less than 10 hp (this is why there are so many 9.9's) does not need to be registered. But if he wants to travel to other countries he may want to see if he could get it documented in Canada.
when I got the boat I asked for the blue book...non...so I serched for a serial...no serial...what about a hull number...did not find one.

the boat has a brass plate with her old name and register number, iv checked this number and the boat has indeed been registered some time ago...after several contradictive phone calls to the port of registration I was thold that an enginless sailboat has no obligation to licensing...so that is it for licensing.

now in regards to registration a very diferent matter then license...I was thold that older sailboats such as mine dont need to be registered and that I can rename the ship if I want...I can even name her an alredy in use name...however if I do register then I must chouse a name not alredy in use.
It was never mentioned that an unregistered vesel cauld be illigal...my boat has a reciep singned buy the last owner...she will have an engraved identification brass plate screwed on the bulkhead...and all updated serveys and coast garde inspection done acordingly.
I need to understand why can this boat be seized...what reasons??
she belongs to me...I paid for her and have the reciep from the marina that sold her to me...we arent talking about riding a motocross on the freeway...its a ship and she meet all safty and regulation requierments.

tell me what I need to know?
Old 11-11-2010, 23:46   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
In the USA, a 1964 boat would be old enough not to have a Hull Identification Number (some manufacturers took a few years after the Boat Safety Act of 1971 to standardize boat hull numbering) but there's a chance that it might have some sort of manufacturer's number. If the manufacturer is still in business, or if there is an owners' association, you might be able to get some help in learning more about the boat. Boats built in the USA subsequent to the Act might have had their hull number painted over or a hull number plaque removed. If a number has only been painted over, someone who knows where to look might be able to help you find it via some gentle sanding.

Depending upon your jurisdiction, you may be required by law to either register or document your boat. Down here in the Etats-U's, we have some confusion between states which have different thresholds for which (smaller) boats must be registered, and we have some confusion between states which issue titles for boats, and those that don't.

It often makes sense to register a boat in a small waterfront community that has many boats, so that the registration clerks are more familiar with unusual registration situations. There may be special procedures for registering home-built boats, salvaged boats, boats from non-title jurisdictions, abandoned or repossessed boats seized by marinas or banks, etc. -- which some registration clerks may not know. So, it can help if you find out the answer before you go to register the boat.
I found out just this week that in North Carolina IF the boat has NEVER been registered/ titled all you need to have is the receipt. Check with the state you want to register it in. If your state of preference will not do it,. consider getting it titled in a state that will allow this. if all else fails you could always re-title in in the other state later if you had to .
Old 15-11-2010, 11:11   #20

Ok just got off the phone with canada transport....plesure crafts are no longer requested to register in canada...however you can still register them if you wish.

eginless plesure craft are not requested to license in canada...outboards up to 9.9 do not requier a license...but a driver competance license is requiered.

a reciep is a legal proufe of ownership in canada and most contries...a resent servey performend by transport canada clearly stipulates the boat id and its owners and therfor conctitue a legal proufe of ownership....This thread has been very informative to me...Thans to all.
cheers
Old 15-11-2010, 11:28   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

In many countries you'll find that your boats registration document is considered a back-up to your Bill of Sale as proof of ownership... its official and can be easily checked on on-line...
A Bill of Sale however is, in many cases an easily forged document with no easy means of verification..
If you plan on traveling to distant shores... pack away the stubborn attitude and get her registered... save yourself a lot of grief.
I cannot see an official who barely understands english or maybe french being very sympathetic to your arguement... and even less caring about your attitude...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 11:37   #22

ho but I will have her registered mainly because she has no proper identification...was just making a point that she is in no way illigal.

my boat was registered in ontario many years ago and still have her original name brass plate on bulkhead.

These are only words on a forum...mine have no attitude and surly arent meant to offend anyone...they are inquisitive words for the uneducated.
Rgds
Old 15-11-2010, 11:43   #23

Boat: Georgian 23 Whiskeyjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
Ok just got off the phone with canada transport....plesure crafts are no longer requested to register in canada...however you can still register them if you wish.

eginless plesure craft are not requested to license in canada...outboards up to 9.9 do not requier a license...but a driver competance license is requiered.

a reciep is a legal proufe of ownership in canada and most contries...a resent servey performend by transport canada clearly stipulates the boat id and its owners and therfor conctitue a legal proufe of ownership....This thread has been very informative to me...Thans to all.
cheers
Registration is FREE, and does not require a survey, but you don't want to do it. On the other hand you will happily PAY for a survey to avoid registering your boat.

BTW, if you are planning on departing Canadian waters anytime soon, you might want to see what kind of boat paperwork you need to ENTER another country- if every country you want to visit is cool with no numbers, then great... but I suggest you take a look at the number of claimed foreign boats sitting in Havana, and ask yourself whether this is one destination where you might want to have MORE paperwork than you need, instead of just the bare minimum.

Besides, in a world where baksheesh is how things get done, you just raised the price of poker. You have just opened yourself up to additional entrance "fees" because of your "irregular" paperwork. if you really do plan to leave PQ anytime soon, you'll find that the cost of NO registration will exceed the paltry sales tax you are trying to avoid. if it is a philosophical issue, if you simply want to stick it to the man, be my guest, just as long as you understand that that stance will allow THEM to stick it to YOU many times over during your travels.
bljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 11:47   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
ho but I will have her registered mainly because she has no proper identification...was just making a point that she is in no way illigal.

my boat was registered in ontario many years ago and still have her original name brass plate on bulkhead.

These are only words on a forum...mine have no attitude and surly arent meant to offend anyone...they are inquisitive words for the uneducated.
Rgds
I was refering to the 'I'm free to choose' attitude... unacceptable by those who very often are not....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 12:17   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Registration is FREE, and does not require a survey, but you don't want to do it. On the other hand you will happily PAY for a survey to avoid registering your boat.

BTW, if you are planning on departing Canadian waters anytime soon, you might want to see what kind of boat paperwork you need to ENTER another country- if every country you want to visit is cool with no numbers, then great... but I suggest you take a look at the number of claimed foreign boats sitting in Havana, and ask yourself whether this is one destination where you might want to have MORE paperwork than you need, instead of just the bare minimum.

Besides, in a world where baksheesh is how things get done, you just raised the price of poker. You have just opened yourself up to additional entrance "fees" because of your "irregular" paperwork. if you really do plan to leave PQ anytime soon, you'll find that the cost of NO registration will exceed the paltry sales tax you are trying to avoid. if it is a philosophical issue, if you simply want to stick it to the man, be my guest, just as long as you understand that that stance will allow THEM to stick it to YOU many times over during your travels.
I gave a deposite on a hinterhoeller 28 befor this one...when I inquiered for registration I fund out the boat belonged in part to the governement, then I fund out that the original owner died years ago and the transfer was never done (posted about this) the number was engraven 1/2 deep into the bulkhead...some advised me to glue a board over it and be done with it...but sins I am a strait kind of guy I started looking for an other boat and lost my depot...also if I resgister now the boat it become a liability an aset and I am at present in seperations of goods and lost my buisiness, this boat and my clothings is all iv got...I am not trying to be an a$$ you have a wrong impresion...to easy to build your own scenarios on pepoles you know nothing about.
I will register the boat next year when the dust has fallen down.
Old 15-11-2010, 12:33   #26
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Listen to me:

Every boat that leaves a country and goes to another country must be registered.

You might not need it registered in your home country if you are not leaving your country.

Now, just to confuse things most countries have 2 different types of registration: 1) State or Province registration. 2) National Registration.
Its the National Registration you need so you can LEGALLY sail your boat with a Canadian Flag on it in, say for example, Spain or Portugal (the Azores).

You must have National Registration to go to another country.

Don't worry, we don't think you are an a$$. Just dont think you understand us

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 13:53   #27

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Just called the on-duty officer at the Yacht arrival centre here in St.Georges Bermuda, and he told me they require an official document of a state, province or Federal nature to approve inbound vessels.
Old 15-11-2010, 14:15   #28

Boat: 42 hatteras
jobi, let me know before you head out of the country and where you are going. I will meet you there to take care of your boat after they arrest you.

Now if i could only find my stencile kit around here.
Old 15-11-2010, 14:37   #29

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
MarkJ:

Hmmm. I sail to the US all the time. Well, when the wind serves and I have a reason to go...

But Connemara is not a registered ship.

She is, however, licensed in the province of Ontario.

I think there may some misinterpretation all around. I know several people who have sailed out of Canada, down the Erie Canal, to the Bahamas and other countries. Their boats are not registered, but they are licensed.

Jobi is correct that he doesn't need to license a boat without an engine; he got that from the horse's mouth and I seem to recall learning that myself once upon a time.

He also correct that he doesn't have to register the vessel even if it did have an engine.

It's probably true, though, that without one or the other it would be a bad idea to try to leave the country.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 15:13   #30
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
His idea is a bit further afeild:
Quote:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ack-49637.html
From Montreal to Azores . . and Back ?
What is the best route and time of year for this voyage.
But its interesting you mention canada, USA to Bahamas and back is all on local licenses? Does that include the Caribbean countries?

Also Gord posted an article saying next year from Jan 1st the USA is requiring all people leaving and coming back in to have passports, not just drivers licences. Does this affect what you are saying?

I suppose its pretty obvious to allow liency to neighboring countries (that are more or less friends to have a waiver of formalities.

As my country is only surrounded by enemies (except Papua New Giunea) we have it a bit tougher.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote