Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-11-2010, 16:26   #31

The guy at transport canada has been very clear and took the time to answer all my questions...in doing so he guided me to the according articles. no responsible owner should navigate with an unserveyed vesel, and I fully agree with this...this said document clearly state the boats condition its name and owner...the survey also make recomendations.

when a vesel meets the canadian requierments it most likely meets that of other contries as well...he clearly said that no contry he knows about would tern my vesel arounde for not having registrations a serial number and much less a license witch is not federal...if such was the case 10.000s vesels would be siezed every year and pepoles would hear about it.

geuss you guys can stop all the nonsens about me being arrested befor my a$$ ends up on death row.

I use to own a vitage car in witch it was legal to ride without seat belts (there where non) this didnt make me a criminal

ho buy the way the other hinterhoellers owner that had never change documents has been voyaging to the USA 14 years without paperwork...that was his argument when trying to sale the boat. I would not take this chance on a vesel in those conditions...but my boat is mine and mine alone...no part of it belongs to someone els...id feel comfortable sailing it anywhere.

Old 15-11-2010, 16:35   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
His idea is a bit further afeild:

But its interesting you mention canada, USA to Bahamas and back is all on local licenses? Does that include the Caribbean countries?

Also Gord posted an article saying next year from Jan 1st the USA is requiring all people leaving and coming back in to have passports, not just drivers licences. Does this affect what you are saying?

I suppose its pretty obvious to allow liency to neighboring countries (that are more or less friends to have a waiver of formalities.

As my country is only surrounded by enemies (except Papua New Giunea) we have it a bit tougher.

I apliyed for my passport last week...it was easy sins my doter has also aplied for one (shes leaving for Cuba on the 19dec with my ex)...there was a few things I did not understand in regards to my citezenship, but peapoles on this board informed me that a passport can be renewed even if I am not in canada...so yes my passport will be in order.

Old 15-11-2010, 17:24   #33

Boat: Georgian 23 Whiskeyjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
The guy at transport canada has been very clear and took the time to answer all my questions...in doing so he guided me to the according articles. no responsible owner should navigate with an unserveyed vesel, and I fully agree with this...this said document clearly state the boats condition its name and owner...the survey also make recomendations.

when a vesel meets the canadian requierments it most likely meets that of other contries as well...he clearly said that no contry he knows about would tern my vesel arounde for not having registrations a serial number and much less a license witch is not federal...if such was the case 10.000s vesels would be siezed every year and pepoles would hear about it.

geuss you guys can stop all the nonsens about me being arrested befor my a$$ ends up on death row.

I use to own a vitage car in witch it was legal to ride without seat belts (there where non) this didnt make me a criminal

ho buy the way the other hinterhoellers owner that had never change documents has been voyaging to the USA 14 years without paperwork...that was his argument when trying to sale the boat. I would not take this chance on a vesel in those conditions...but my boat is mine and mine alone...no part of it belongs to someone els...id feel comfortable sailing it anywhere.
Okay, at the start of this thread you say you aren't going to register your vessel, then you say you are going to register it next year when the dust settles, then you say that the person you spoke with at Transport canada says you never need to register it and you will "most likely" meet the requirements of other countries.
He's wrong.
Let's say you want to go to Cuba:
Viva Cuba
See the part where it says you need to show "Port of registration"? If your boat is not registered, you have no port of registration. Buh-bye, Cuba. No biggy, you'll just sail to the Bahamas.
Bahamas Ports of Entry - Bahamas Vacation Travel Guide by Bahamas-Travel.info

Oh, you need "ship's documentation/registration" there too. Okay, off we go to the t&c, where you might get lucky.

Why would you rely on a Canadian bureaucrat's opinion on the requirements of other countries, when those countries happily post their info on the web and you can get the information directly from the source?
Old 15-11-2010, 17:41   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Why would you rely on a Canadian bureaucrat's opinion on the requirements of other countries, when those countries happily post their info on the web and you can get the information directly from the source?[/QUOTE]

Egg-xac-lee
Old 15-11-2010, 18:39   #35
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Just called the on-duty officer at the Yacht arrival centre here in St.Georges Bermuda, and he told me they require an official document of a state, province or Federal nature to approve inbound vessels.
Is the Black Horse Still there?

Gunpowder Cavern?

Shinbone Alley (Help me Bob I'm Bully in the alley)
Old 15-11-2010, 18:51   #36

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
I don't know the details for Canada, but in the USA most sailboats must be numbered and registered (similar to Canadian licencing) even if they have no motor. The typical exceptions are very small non-motorized sailboats (no more than ten, twelve, or fifteen feet long or so; varies by state), windsurfers, and paddle craft such as canoes, kayaks, and small non-motorized rowboats.

Ownership title is a different concept than registration/licencing and not every US state issues titles for small boats.
Old 15-11-2010, 19:21   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
I registered my vessel, or rather changed the name on the registry, when I bought it. There was a small one time charge ($100 maybe?). The option, for me, was register or license it. I agree Jobi, for you, neither are required but it is a fact that the US may not allow you passage through their waters. The same is true for those that choose the licence route. They may though and they often, but not always, do. Bonus of a registry is that you do have sole use of the name, it is searchable in the event of a sale, you may be able to use it as collateral and, best of all, you transfer one of sixty-four shares to her majesty in event she requires your services when the Americans have another tea party

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 19:49   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
I registered my vessel, or rather changed the name on the registry, when I bought it. There was a small one time charge ($100 maybe?). The option, for me, was register or license it. I agree Jobi, for you, neither are required but it is a fact that the US may not allow you passage through their waters. The same is true for those that choose the licence route. They may though and they often, but not always, do. Bonus of a registry is that you do have sole use of the name, it is searchable in the event of a sale, you may be able to use it as collateral and, best of all, you transfer one of sixty-four shares to her majesty in event she requires your services when the Americans have another tea party
That is probably the no1 reson id not register...but if I have to I will its not such a big deal.
my boat original name is ALCYON...it was registered under that name...then the next owner renamed the boat BRAVEHART...This name just dont do anything for me and I will chage it to anything els if I have too...However the name I really want is AVIAN_WAY but this name alredy belongs to a ship...according to the law un unregitered or unlicensed vesel can be named any name even if its alredy in use.

Whatever the case my boat will not be registered befor next october, I am not against regulations...I simply needed to know if I can still use the boat until then...from this thread I got all answers...exelent

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: