Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2015, 17:44   #136

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: What Can We Do About Drones?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Sounds like the guy is looking for his wife
No, it's 2Hulls. The guy is looking for his daughter
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 17:49   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojadito View Post
Use a Bola, very effective, silent, and it will brig it down with minimum damage. You may be able to hold it for ransom $$$$
Nyah, just cut your fishing line and watch the whole shebang sink to the bottom. A nice mini reef for the fishies.
lilolme55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 17:49   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
He's in bloomin' Miami.

Can you hear the newsflash?

"Dumpy run-down illegally anchored-out boat trash skipper has a problem with a law-abiding McMansion homeowner who feels threatened by this boat mere 2 miles away from his glorious abode! Film & details at 11!"
Guys, my boat is on par (outside anyway) with some of the best in the world.

It's an attention getter.

People filmed me all the way here from up north.

Mega yacht crews dropped what they were doing to watch the boat.

Hundreds of thumbs up.

But... that didn't bother me. The drone is different because it's able to see me doing private things and sneak up on me.
2hullvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 17:50   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
No, it's 2Hulls. The guy is looking for his daughter
Very accurate.
Old 09-11-2015, 17:52   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Havent read all the posts...any one suggest mooning the drone? : p
Was trying the other day but it left before I could drop trou.
Old 09-11-2015, 17:54   #141

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorageGuy View Post
If you shoot it down or otherwise destroy it you are breaking the law and depending on the value of the drone, could spend some time in jail, incur lots of legal fees. Is it worth it. You will be in the wrong. File a complaint with the FAA at the nearest airport. Probably nothing will get done, but you never know. Best to ignore it and go down below when it shows up. Or move. The owner will get bored and move on. Chuck
that's the way it is, now. decent people are always told to be the good victim. run away. let them take your stuff. don't resist the rapist. go below and have your free will controlled by this aerial stalker. or, better yet, move your boat from a place it is legally anchored. you can't defend yourself. that would be wrong.

it's like that Tool song:

"someone told me, once, that there's a wrong and right. all this meant was joy for those who dare to cross the line...."

that's the way it works. the buttholes of the world are free to do as they will but, let one of their victims respond and it's time to crucify someone.
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 17:55   #142

This posting has moved faster than any other post I have seen in the two months I have been following the forum. I did not realize the extent that drone phobia has grown in such a short time. I have been flying RC devices of some type or another for 40 years and the recent technology advances are putting these in the hands of everyone and will eventually destroy my hobby.

I wish the original poster could meet the pilot of the quadcopter and appreciate his (or her) hobby. I am confident that the pilot doesn't realize that it is offending him. The responses you get are one extreme or the other. Many people would be flattered that someone was taking an interest in their boat enough to photograph it. When I encounter anyone that shows displeasure I immediately leave the location and move on.

I took my Inspire 1 (a $3500 investment) to the BVI's this year and couldn't imagine two things that where mean't for each other any more. I have watched the videos a hundred times reliving seven days in paradise.

BVIme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 17:58   #143

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I'd think you'd need several tries at least with a wrist rocket, even with "bolo" ammo. I'd go with a pellet rifle, scoped. About $150 for a Gamo with scope that shoots @ 1250 FPS. Pellet rifles aren't what they were in our youth anymore! Vastly more accurate and powerful. All break barrel, no pumping. I'd leave the companionway and hatches open at about the usual time, then shoot that sucker down from inside the boat, without coming on deck. Inside of the boat will be too dark in bright sun for video footage.
excellent suggestion
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 17:58   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hullvenus View Post
Guys, my boat is on par (outside anyway) with some of the best in the world.

It's an attention getter.

People filmed me all the way here from up north.

Mega yacht crews dropped what they were doing to watch the boat.

Hundreds of thumbs up.

But... that didn't bother me. The drone is different because it's able to see me doing private things and sneak up on me.
Ummmm Any chance of seeing a few pics of your yacht. Just enough to make me jealous.
lilolme55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 18:04   #145

Ok, I like the jammers best of all. Cleanest solution.

If the guy keeps it up, I'll order one and drop his drone into the drink.

Thanks for the responses. Had no idea there was an off the shelf jammer.
Old 09-11-2015, 18:10   #146

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

And maybe 2hullvenus is an energy sink, someone who really wants some attention, rather than a solution to the problem... Ten pages now, a number of non-warlike solutions offered, no mention of taking up any of them....

Seems to me that if my anchorage became unpleasant to me for some reason, I'd move. Why did he not do that? according to his post, there is anchorage nearby.

Ann
Old 09-11-2015, 18:27   #147

Boat: Pinisi, 30m (81ft)

@ PaulaJayne - your video looks great, what drone &/or camera are you using?

Apologies to the OP
RajaNagaLaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 19:15   #148

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner

Try taking your clothes off.

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 19:17   #149

Having spent a great deal of time and effort researching the matter ( 5 minutes on Google) I have the following to contribute.

From a legal perspective given that the abuse by drone is new because the technology itself is new. However the act of using a camera to take unsolicited pictures is not new to the law with a number of laws that could be enforced in order to protect the victims.

Criminal voyeurism statute of some states cover "a place where [one] would have a reasonable expectation of privacy", meaning:

A place where a reasonable person would believe that he or she could disrobe in privacy, without being concerned that his or her undressing was being photographed or filmed by another; or

A place where one may reasonably expect to be safe from casual or hostile intrusion or surveillance.

Given the similarity to voyeurism, a jury might find that using a camera on a drone in an otherwise considered private location may amount to the torts of outrage or negligent infliction of emotional distress.

Intruding upon another's solitude or private affairs, physically or otherwise, is subject to liability if this intrusion would be considered highly offensive to a reasonable person. This type of invasion of privacy is commonly associated with "peeping Toms," someone illegally intercepting private phone calls, or snooping through someone's private records. While taking photographs of someone in public would not count, using a long range camera to take photographs of someone inside his or her home would qualify. This raises the question of being photographed on board your private boat. Does a boat have the same legal protection of a home. In most cases I would think so.

The tort of negligent infliction of emotional distress (NIED) is a controversial cause of action, which is available in nearly all U.S. states but is severely constrained and limited in the majority of them. The underlying concept is that one has a legal duty to use reasonable care to avoid causing emotional distress to another individual. If one fails in this duty and unreasonably causes emotional distress to another person, that actor will be liable for monetary damages to the injured individual. The tort is to be contrasted with intentional infliction of emotional distress in that there is no need to prove intent to inflict distress. That is, an accidental infliction, if negligent, is sufficient to support a cause of action.

Creating a public nuisance is a crime. This also may be used.

My thoughts are that the use of "Peeping Tom" laws are the best for snaring the invasive drone operator. It could be successfully argued that your boat being your home has just as much expectation of privacy against being peeped on in your home in the suburbs. In fact one could consider that you chose living onboard a boat so as to have even a greater expectation of privacy than living in a home on land with neighbors on three sides of your home.

Anchoring your boat in the middle of a non throughway waterway by itself is placing yourself in a place of great privacy that is violated by uninvited peeping by way of drone.

Taking legal action or getting the local police to charge the person is in reality an uphill battle. On balance the cheapest way out would be to buy a radio signal jamming device and bring that little sucker crashing to the ground.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 19:19   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
And maybe 2hullvenus is an energy sink, someone who really wants some attention, rather than a solution to the problem... Ten pages now, a number of non-warlike solutions offered, no mention of taking up any of them....

Seems to me that if my anchorage became unpleasant to me for some reason, I'd move. Why did he not do that? according to his post, there is anchorage nearby.

Ann
Post #145 directly above the one of yours I'm quoting?

Time for a visit to the eye doctor.

Maybe you are a person who likes starting arguments