Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2015, 09:36   #61

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: What Can We Do About Drones?!?

A few random thoughts.

The guy who shot down a drone and had his case dismissed by a judge is still facing what happens when the case goes before a grand jury. The judge was not on sound legal grounds according to some legal scholars. The LEOs arrested the shooter and charged him because they thought it was a good bust and the prosecuting attorney still wants to charge the guy. In any case the shooter would have to hire a lawyer and go to court which is not a win in my book. Bottom line is discharging a fire arm is against the law in many places unless you fear for your life or well being. Even then the LEOs take a dim view of shooting guns.

I have been building flying RC controlled platforms for well over ten years and try and keep up with the legalities. I also have noticed lots of FUD related to "drones", starting with the definition of what a drone is. The FAA says RC craft should fly below 400 feet and (with few exceptions) piloted craft should fly above 500 feet. In reality most folks who fly RC platforms don't like to fly close to objects that could damage their toys. I like to keep as far away from trees, buildings, cars, boats, people, what ever as I can. Not claiming there are not morons who crash and burn, just that there is a good chance the morons will crash and burn quickly.

One post asked the question would you shoot at a dinghy with someone who was using a cell phone to take pix of your boat? What about someone with a big telephoto lens on a camera? I am former military and a big 2A guy who thinks it is a good idea to have small arms on my boat. But it would take a lot for me to discharge a gun on my boat. Also keep in mind that every time a LEO discharges their weapon they have to fill out reams of paperwork and think the same should be true for civilians.

I have also noticed many folks also have misconceptions about RC platforms. As a rule 20 minutes or less is the max time they can spend in the air and a careful operator will cut that to 12-15 minutes as a safety play. The cameras they carry are similar to cell phone cameras in terms of WA lens, so unless they are closer than say 30 feet it is not likely you will be able to ID the person in the picture. At 50 feet it is really not possible to ID peeps in the picture. As for noise that is largely a function of how well the props are matched to the craft. Unbalanced poorly shaped props make much more noise than more expensive quality props, not to mention longer flight time. So if you have a noise complaint it is most likely from a cheap drone.

Finally here is a video I shot.

tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:40   #62

Boat: Beneteau 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulajayne View Post
Throw a net up at it - best way to bring it down.

The drone is not the problem it is the operator. Can you not speak to him/her about it.

I have one and do a lot of filming with it but would never do that more than once.

My last video:-

Nice video - l have a Phantom 3 Pro which is great for ariels off my Beneteau which l fly well away from other boats unless permission sought. Shame there's not such an in depth discussion regarding generators that are left to run all night in the anchorages along with loud music and dinks creating unnecessary wake flying past and people not using lights in their dinks at night. We have the luxury of always moving the boat elsewhere - sling shots, shooting drones with guns? Must be the USA eh? Just ask politely but there will always be idiots out there with drones, generators or indeed boats😉
Peter200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:41   #63

Location: Placida FL on the hard for now real nice place cheep rent .
Boat: 78 Laguna ,Windrose 24'

Get a video camera and film it the whole time, every time it's over you . Call the police and make a report every time. Then sue in civil court for every cent you can get ! And maybe just maybe he wont be snooping on you anymore ! Do not fire a gun period !
sailersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:46   #64

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:47   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hullvenus View Post
I'm having a hell of a time right now with some jerk who keeps sending a drone to my boat.

I'm at anchor and this jerk sends the drone 20' above the boat repeatedly, day after day.

I'm really tired of the noise and I'm not here at anchor to have people looking in my salon windows and stuff.

I'm in Miami. What are my legal rights?

First instinct is to throw things at it.
A slingshot will draw less attention than a shotgun. You might ask what are his / her legal rights to spy with a drone. They can be an excellent tool but unfortunately they are often misused.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:03   #66

Boat: Hunter 420

buy a paintball gun with eco friendly paint....
Old 09-11-2015, 10:04   #67
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Would an unmarked, privately owned, drone that is "captured" by a harrassed boater be considered stolen property?

Would a privately owned drone that is "shot down" or disabled by a harrassed boater over the water be considered "damaging personal property?"
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:06   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Would an unmarked, privately owned, drone that is "captured" by a harrassed boater be considered stolen property?

Would a privately owned drone that is "shot down" or disabled by a harrassed boater over the water be considered "damaging personal property?"
Yes, and yes.

Let's not forget that this is Florida we're talking about. How often do you hear about home owners being prosecuted for harassing boaters?

I'm looking forward to the day when flying drones in public places is considered as antisocial, and unacceptable, as drink driving.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:06   #69
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Good video for this topic.

Shows that a rod cast line can go over a drone at the normal height above the fisherman.

But also shows the fishing line did not disable the drone.

The end of the video makes the fisherman look like the offensive person.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:09   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martkimwat View Post
I'm in UK and not sure whether you use the same frequencies in the USA but over here and in Europe, the most common frequency used for drones and any model flying is 2.4Ghz. I f you can get a portable jammer for that frequency and it is as close as you say, you should be able to swamp it's signal and it will then end up in the drink with luck and without any obvious input from you if you operate it in your cabin out of sight.
It's the same here, and back in the day frequency control was very important, usually we had clothes pins for each freq and you didn't dare turn on your transmitter if you didn't have the pin, or you might "shoot down" an airplane that was flying.
Now 2.4 Ghz changed all of that, by some form of magic the transmitter and receiver are "paired" and many other 2.4 Ghz transmitters can be turned on and will not interfere with your signal. We set the record at Hodges Hobbes some years ago by having something like 200 airplanes in the air at the same time, all on the same freq.
You might be able to shoot down a 2.4 Ghz airplane, but it would be tough.
Now I'm assuming these drones operate on RC equipment.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:09   #71
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Yes, and yes.

Let's not forget that this is Florida we're talking about. How often do you hear about home owners being prosecuted for harassing boaters?
I get your point.

I also suspect that law enforcement officials will side with the home or property owners over the transient boat owner.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:12   #72

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

This whole drone thing seems to be up in the air at present. A thought might be making it obvious that you are taking pics back. Dated pics and a log entry might be worth having. Chances are is if the owner feels you are documenting it, it well stop.
Who have you pissed off?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:12   #73
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
A few random thoughts.

The guy who shot down a drone and had his case dismissed by a judge is still facing what happens when the case goes before a grand jury. The judge was not on sound legal grounds according to some legal scholars. The LEOs arrested the shooter and charged him because they thought it was a good bust and the prosecuting attorney still wants to charge the guy. In any case the shooter would have to hire a lawyer and go to court which is not a win in my book. Bottom line is discharging a fire arm is against the law in many places unless you fear for your life or well being. Even then the LEOs take a dim view of shooting guns.

I have been building flying RC controlled platforms for well over ten years and try and keep up with the legalities. I also have noticed lots of FUD related to "drones", starting with the definition of what a drone is. The FAA says RC craft should fly below 400 feet and (with few exceptions) piloted craft should fly above 500 feet. In reality most folks who fly RC platforms don't like to fly close to objects that could damage their toys. I like to keep as far away from trees, buildings, cars, boats, people, what ever as I can. Not claiming there are not morons who crash and burn, just that there is a good chance the morons will crash and burn quickly.

One post asked the question would you shoot at a dinghy with someone who was using a cell phone to take pix of your boat? What about someone with a big telephoto lens on a camera? I am former military and a big 2A guy who thinks it is a good idea to have small arms on my boat. But it would take a lot for me to discharge a gun on my boat. Also keep in mind that every time a LEO discharges their weapon they have to fill out reams of paperwork and think the same should be true for .....l]
Given your own use of RC craft, what would YOU do if you were being buzzed or circled or flown by closely (as the OP states) repeatedly while anchored?
Old 09-11-2015, 10:25   #74

Boat: American Tug

The FAA is in the middle of rulemaking about all this. The drone operator is in violation of current rules as well as Florida law, as many have noted. Call FAA and make a stink. The FAA's office for that area (called a FSDO) is here:
2895 SW 145 AVE
Suite 120
Miramar, Florida 33027

Phone: (954) 641-6000
Email the Office
Fax: (954) 641-6040

Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday
dochip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:26   #75

Aha, all those hottie chicks on land are simply checking out when the interior is finished so they can come swarming over to his boat. Would save him the time trying to find them on land. They are doing him a big favor.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote