Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2015, 06:16   #16

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: What Can We Do About Drones?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hullvenus View Post
I'm at anchor. I have no way to know who owns it. It comes from shore daily, repeatedly.

I think I'll go get a casting net. Good idea. Was thinking a slingshot as well.

Wish my casting net wasn't in storage at this time....
Ah... You might drop by a Bass ProShop and pick up an inexpensive Bow Fishing rig. It could/would be useful on the yacht anyway and an easy shot to bring down (with the leader line) an intrusive drone. One could employ a catch and release technique considering that a dunk in the sea will take care of most drones...No?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:20   #17
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

not mine, I built a waterproof one. But I still say shoot the offender down. Hit him where it hurts, right in the thousand dollar pocket.

Ruger 10-22 with a clip full of .22 rat shot?
Old 09-11-2015, 06:21   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Are there other boats anchored nearby? Are there other liveaboards? Are you the only one getting visited?
Ha ha ha!

Catch and release is perfect!!

To answer this one, there is a regular liveaboard anchorage nearby. There is also another "remote anchorer" like myself here nearby. He hasn't been visited. The main anchorage hasn't been visited. Only me.

And... its not like a nice view type video. This thing flies out to my boat specifically, then hovers directly above it for 5 minutes before I shoo it away.

Then, it returns to the houses about 3/4 of a mile away.
2hullvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:42   #19

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

I hate those things! I can't wait for the first politician to get filmed by one doing something stupid.... two weeks later they'll be banned everywhere.

Matt
Old 09-11-2015, 06:46   #20

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34

Quote:
I have my 2nd amendment tool handy and it has a nice dispersion, but... that becomes "destruction of property" or something from what I've read.

Also, firing off in a big city is jusr ethically wrong, in my opinion, if not against the law.

I'm looking for something legal to do.
Pellet gun or wrist rocket slingshot. No noise and lotta fun!
Tbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:48   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Call the Law, at least get it on record that you are being harassed, I assume you can't find the operator?
If you decide to take matters in your own hands, I think a wrist rocket with two nuts and fishing line would be a whole lot more acceptable to Johnny Law than a shotgun, and may well be just as effective if not more.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:49   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Your legal rights are "up in the air" (pun intended).

The Freedom from Unwarranted Surveillance Act (FUSA)*, which took effect in Florida on July 1, 2015, prohibits a person, state agency or political subdivision from using a drone to capture an image of privately owned property or those on the property – including an owner, occupant or invitee – with the intent to conduct surveillance. The law further requires that those using drone technology in such a manner must have written consent from the people on the property under surveillance if a reasonable expectation of privacy exists.
* ➥ http://laws.flrules.org/2015/26

Trespass, as defined under Florida law, is “invasion of someone’s personal property without their consent”. I’m not aware of any cases where courts have ruled on how the law of trespass and self-defense should apply to drones.

The Courts, In United States v. Causby (1946) have affirmed that "the air above the minimum safe altitude of flight ... is a public highway and part of the public domain."

However, modern drones will most likely fly at lower altitudes, potentially putting them in airspace that the courts may (I'm not aware of any specific rulings) consider to be the controlled by the owner of the property below it.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:49   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Ha ha ha!

To answer this one, there is a regular liveaboard anchorage nearby. There is also another "remote anchorer" like myself here nearby. He hasn't been visited. The main anchorage hasn't been visited. Only me.

And... its not like a nice view type video. This thing flies out to my boat specifically, then hovers directly above it for 5 minutes before I shoo it away.

Sounds like the guy is looking for his wife
Old 09-11-2015, 06:52   #24

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Ha ha ha!

That is downright strange.....the only person who might do something like that is an ex wife or creditor or DEA ...jilted girl friend?
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:55   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

An aircraft (there are exceptions, helicopters and part 137 aircraft for example) is not allowed to be operated within 500' of persons, property or things.
http://www.flightsimaviation.com/dat...rt_91-119.html

One argument is of course are these things, aircraft, does the FAA have authority?
I don't think they do as they are not being operated by "Airmen", and the FAA I believe only has jurisdiction over Airmen.

Reason I would call the local cops as opposed to the FAA FSDO

On edit, I'm better than 99% sure an anchorage would be considered a congested area by the FAA, That FAR would be good to show the local cops
Old 09-11-2015, 06:56   #26

Boat: Custom 55

Hey, I know what happened!

The drone owner is a CF reader and was reading about 2hull's extensive collection of nubile young hotties.

Can't blame the guy for wanting a look!!
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:58   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
Hey, I know what happened!

The drone owner is a CF reader and was reading about 2hull's extensive collection of nubile young hotties.

Can't blame the guy for wanting a look!!
It's going to have to follow me ashore, then. Boat is a construction site inside. Not ready for entertaining quite yet...
2hullvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:58   #28
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Your legal rights are "up in the air" (pun intended).

The Freedom from Unwarranted Surveillance Act (FUSA)*, which took effect in Florida on July 1, 2015, prohibits a person, state agency or political subdivision from using a drone to capture an image of privately owned property or those on the property – including an owner, occupant or invitee – with the intent to conduct surveillance. The law further requires that those using drone technology in such a manner must have written consent from the people on the property under surveillance if a reasonable expectation of privacy exists.
* ➥ http://laws.flrules.org/2015/26

Trespass, as defined under Florida law, is “invasion of someone’s personal property without their consent”. I’m not aware of any cases where courts have ruled on how the law of trespass and self-defense should apply to drones.

The Courts, In United States v. Causby (1946) have affirmed that "the air above the minimum safe altitude of flight ... is a public highway and part of the public domain."

However, modern drones will most likely fly at lower altitudes, potentially putting them in airspace that the courts may (I'm not aware of any specific rulings) consider to be the controlled by the owner of the property below it.

Good post Gord!

However, I bet some lawyer would argue that the rule on protected "property" would not protect an anchored boat on the water if the drone was flying above or beside the boat, but over water, which is probably considered public and navigatable space.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:00   #29

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

I'm a non-violent person by nature but a drone might cause me to lose it. They definitely should not be allowed, especially the type of harassment you are having. Killing a drone is not killing a person. I wouldn't use something illegal in its own right though. In some towns slingshots are illegal too but I always carried one on the boat. Never had drones then though.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:00   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

I believe that FAR part 91 clearly establishes "minimum safe altitude" to be 500', or higher, or that would be my argument