Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2015, 13:27   #196
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 13m aluminium sloop
Re: What Can We Do About Drones?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Ann,
What I think you're missing is that 2Hulls is an exceptional person with an exceptional boat. Above he states very clearly, "Guys, my boat is on par (outside anyway) with some of the best in the world.

It's an attention getter.

People filmed me all the way here from up north.

Mega yacht crews dropped what they were doing to watch the boat.

Hundreds of thumbs up."

These are not things that can be easily dismissed. Many of the above remarks are goals, desires and dreams that people have worked for their entire lives and have never been able to attain. And, this reverence for his boat is not an isolated occurrence during his time spent in Florida, but rather spans the length and breadth of the entire US from the North to perhaps, in the near future, the Bahamas, the Caribbean and ultimately the world. So, when an unwanted intruder spies on an individual of this caliber and with a boat that is an unrestrained fantasy of most on this Forum, we should take note. May I be the first to apologize for Ann to our friend, idol and inspiration--Mr. TwoHulls. We should all make an effort in the future to consider these factors before commenting on any of his enlightening posts with anything that even breaches the standards of respect for such a supernal individual. May I be the first to offer my thanks and humble respect. Sincerely . . . Capt. Rognvald
Absolutely. This outstanding attention-thirsty individual might also want to try and test the drone-shielding capabilities of a public apology for his recently-initiated thread calling for "anchoring laws" to oust the lesser live-aboard community around his expanding empire of notoriety.

Ann happened to politely word some of my thoughts quite accurately!
Old 10-11-2015, 13:38   #197

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Ann,
What I think you're missing is that 2Hulls is an exceptional person with an exceptional boat...
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 13:55   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I don't know enough about electronics to explain why, but I know for example many of the more electronically sophisticated full size aircraft cannot get near an Aircraft Carrier, apparently that thing puts out enough RF so that the on board electronics go bat crazy. Electronics that are not radios, but computers and the like.
Assumption is of course that Naval aircraft are "hardened" to not have this type of interference.
US Army Blackhawk killed several until it was determined that the Stabalator was susceptible to RF.
We used to call them "Lawn Darts" for their tendency to be flying along fast and low, to suddenly nose into the ground

Army Copters Vulnerable To Radio Waves - philly-archives

The joke poster of the time was of a Panamanian Air Defense unit, consisted of soldiers standing in formation holding garage door openers

On edit, if you can shoot down a Blackhawk with a CB, you might can shoot down a drone with an SSB
A couple of years ago I was taken about 100nm offshore in a fairly sophisticated navy frigate. I was filming a TV story and had absolutely no problem with UHF interference on my wireless microphones. Before filming an interview with the commanding officer they did ask what frequency I was using and doubtless recorded that interview for themselves. I had been in the control room and they listen to everything.
Incidentally I also spent a couple of hours flying around Western Samoa in a US Army Blackhawk at anywhere between 5' and 9,000' and we never crashed.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 14:52   #199
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

I bet anyone experienced in kite fighting (Google it) would not have an issue with this.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 15:02   #200

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHO View Post
A couple of years ago I was taken about 100nm offshore in a fairly sophisticated navy frigate. I was filming a TV story and had absolutely no problem with UHF interference on my wireless microphones. Before filming an interview with the commanding officer they did ask what frequency I was using and doubtless recorded that interview for themselves. I had been in the control room and they listen to everything.
Incidentally I also spent a couple of hours flying around Western Samoa in a US Army Blackhawk at anywhere between 5' and 9,000' and we never crashed.
Pardon me! What is the point?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 15:11   #201

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I bet anyone experienced in kite fighting (Google it) would not have an issue with this.
It would look like a falcon hitting a pigeon. You might loose the kite but if you are a wizbang kite fighter you would use your diamond encrusted kite string to foul the rotors.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 15:29   #202

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I was hoping a knowledge HAM would chime in. If as you say, CB is Am or SSB. I liked the SSB. Didn't have all the good buddy chatter and I liked catching skips or telling the wife I was running late from 40 or more miles away. I would think aircraft would be well shielded and only receive a narrow band width?
I was not thinking of jamming the electronics, I was thinking of frying them. An antenna actually recieves all frequencies then the electronics filter out everything but what they're tuned to. The power they usually work with is extremely weak. If one puts too much energy into the electronics the amplifier circuits can have problems. This is why when you key the mike a relay disconnects your reciever circuits from the antenna. SSB. does not have a carrier but has a higher peak output. The reciever circuit has to be pretty sensitive to work over a 2 mile distance. When I'm in the area of city island NY the WCBS transmitter plays over my stereo and my vhf speakers with the units turned off. My wind instrument is useless within 5 miles of that transmitter. I don't expect that kind of effect here, but from a few feet it might cause enough of a problem to bring it down. The antenna on the drone won't be optimal for the frequencies a Marine SSB or a HAM hf radio puts out but it's a cheap thing to try if the op has one on board. I would think that the higher the frequency the better.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 15:45   #203

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I was not thinking of jamming the electronics, I was thinking of frying them. An antenna actually recieves all frequencies then the electronics filter out everything but what they're tuned to. The power they usually work with is extremely weak. If one puts too much energy into the electronics the amplifier circuits can have problems. This is why when you key the mike a relay disconnects your reciever circuits from the antenna. SSB. does not have a carrier but has a higher peak output. The reciever circuit has to be pretty sensitive to work over a 2 mile distance. When I'm in the area of city island NY the WCBS transmitter plays over my stereo and my vhf speakers with the units turned off. My wind instrument is useless within 5 miles of that transmitter. I don't expect that kind of effect here, but from a few feet it might cause enough of a problem to bring it down. The antenna on the drone won't be optimal for the frequencies a Marine SSB or a HAM hf radio puts out but it's a cheap thing to try if the op has one on board. I would think that the higher the frequency the better.
OK, if he has the equipment worth a try. Everything is probably in a chip which is mostly leads going to something head of a pin size on a drone.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 19:41   #204

Quote:
I was not thinking of jamming the electronics, I was thinking of frying them.
If that (frying the electronics of a drone by transmitting on your marine SSB) was possible, then you'd have already fried many of your own electronic devices onboard with equally sensitive RF electronics (eg cellphone).

Show of hands - who's ever fried anything with your marine SSB transmissions?

In other words... no, you won't fry a drone with your SSB. Sorry.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 19:51   #205
Marine Service Provider

Probably not a great idea to shoot it down.

Is It OK To Shoot Down Your Neighbour's Drone? | Gizmodo Australia

A net is an interesting idea but most likely it will end up in the water and potentially you'll be up for damages to it, which could total a lot of cash. The drone if it looks the same as the one in the link above could cost up to or over $2,000.

I would have thought that you'd see someone standing on the shore line that's controlling it....

If you could locate a cost-effective signal jammer, you'd be laughing and could probably sell lots of them.

http://www.qrz.ru/schemes/contribute...one-jammer.pdf
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 20:23   #206

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
SNIP

When I'm in the area of city island NY the WCBS transmitter plays over my stereo and my vhf speakers with the units turned off. My wind instrument is useless within 5 miles of that transmitter. I don't expect that kind of effect here, but from a few feet it might cause enough of a problem to bring it down. The antenna on the drone won't be optimal for the frequencies a Marine SSB or a HAM hf radio puts out but it's a cheap thing to try if the op has one on board. I would think that the higher the frequency the better.
There are VOA radio towers on Sisters Creek that are designed to broadcast propaganda to Cuba, over any interference the Cuban Government can put up; and to a great extent they work. I have taken my boat out Sisters Creek many times and learned to turn off my electronics in Sisters Creek. The towers are in a straight line pointed to Cuba and when my boat crosses that line everything on the boat went crazy the first time I crossed the line.

The thing is there was no lasting damage and once I get passed the last red marker I simply turn on the electronics and go my merry way. This is not to say it is not possible to damage electronics with electro magnetic waves. The most obvious example is the Carrington Event of 1859. This event was the largest solar storm on record and did significant damage. I doubt it would be possible with anything less than military technology to do much damage to drones at any distance.

As I have posted earlier jamming devices like this are illegal and can result in both fines and jail time. The FCC can and does actively look for folks using these things. The problem with trying to use a jammer is if it is powerful enough to do any damage it is also powerful enough to be obvious to people in the area which will draw the interest of the FCC.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 20:30   #207
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
It would look like a falcon hitting a pigeon. You might loose the kite but if you are a wizbang kite fighter you would use your diamond encrusted kite string to foul the rotors.

Sure, but kite fighters have lots of tricks. In Japan, they have monster kite battles with kites of all shapes and sizes. They make huge ones, which obviously would do well. But sometimes the best ones are very sneaky postage stamp sized box kites which are very hard for the opposition to spot....

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 20:34   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Pardon me! What is the point?
You are excused. The point is that if a Navy ship has such a high strength electronic field around it that airliners keep away as has been suggested, I wouldn't have been able to use my equipment.
More likely airliners keep clear in case they are mistakenly shot down as in the The Persian Gulf.
Old 10-11-2015, 21:15   #209

Quote:
When I'm in the area of city island NY the WCBS transmitter plays over my stereo and my vhf speakers with the units turned off. My wind instrument is useless within 5 miles of that transmitter. I don't expect that kind of effect here, but from a few feet it might cause enough of a problem to bring it down. The antenna on the drone won't be optimal for the frequencies a Marine SSB or a HAM hf radio puts out but it's a cheap thing to try if the op has one on board. I would think that the higher the frequency the better.
Not quite to do with the drone, but have you tried an earthed shielding enclosing your speaker leads to prevent the WCBS signal being induced into the cables?
I don't know that signal but I imagine it is AM.
Your speaker leads are most likely acting as an antenna. The same thing can happen with unshielded microphone leads.
Old 10-11-2015, 21:24   #210

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Definitely not a wizbang kite fighter but I do have one of these.

https://www.facebook.com/mike.rowlan...type=3&theater
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote