Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-05-2013, 12:14   #16

Boat: C&C Landfall 38
Re: What are (Canadian) Ships Papers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post
Vessel Licensing forms also state who owns the Vessel. SO do you need the boat to on the Registry of vessels. No one has ever said boo when I have gone to the states. I may have to ask my mates at the Frenchy Embassy again?

I would register my vessel, if not for any other reason to not carry ugly 14K numbers on the bow, for $250 why screw around, and as the Gov. site says Vessel Licence AND proof of ownership maybe needed entering another country, I have always had a Registered Vessel offshore and never had a problem with the papers. Also I have never had an issue with an unlicensed dinky, they cut some slack for foreign transient vessels.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:23   #17

Boat: Dufour35 1982

I agree. But I had a look at what I need to get registered and I can not find the bits of paper, that is my panic. My ex may have.

Old 04-05-2013, 20:15   #18

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Since you paid off the boat mortgage through you financial institution, you should be able to obtain a copy of the mortgage from your bank. That should help you establish ownership. Next you need to see if your boat was previously licensed or registered. If it was already registered you have to transfer the registry to your name.

If worst comes to worst, contact your ex and see if she might have the paperwork.
Old 04-05-2013, 20:39   #19

The Boat built in France, then American Owned then I bought it and shipped to Canada. Did the License thing paid the tax.

I have found some bits but the registration thing would take months. Would have to do a search in the States to de register it. If it is not needed I can't be arsed. Funny if I went all the way to French Poly and they told me to bog off home:-)
Old 04-05-2013, 20:49   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have no idea how the Polynesians are tossing dice these days but note that every year, international "details" get tighter all over the world. Stolen vessels, stolen children...As I recall you may need to have a prepaid air ticket home before you can enter Polynesia and if you can't prove you own the boat, they would be within their rights to seize the boat and tell you to go home without it until you find the paperwork.

That's the risk you run without having it properly titled and flagged.

If it was previously US owned, it either had a state registration OR federal documentation, sometimes both. If the later, it would be easy to track down. If the former, there's probably a state title for it, but not always. And in either case you may need to find the PO and get a notarized bill of sale or other transfer documents.

Odds are that your bank would not have made a loan without some proof of title, so again, they are the best ones to start asking at.

This is not something to be lightly skipped over, considering the possible problems. And of course, if you have to detour and enter someplace besides Polynesia, that's a whole other potential can of worms.
Old 04-05-2013, 20:56   #21

I am dual citizen Canuck and European so no probs me getting in. I have written twice to the french authorities and get no where fast. Lack of French me thinks.

The paper work I agree is a problem. I am literally digging through everything from my past life. I have found some but not the definitive scrap of paper. But I hear yo I need those bits of paper.
Old 05-05-2013, 22:03   #22

SO found my licensee papers even the bill of sale from the States. So I think I will apply to register as aSmall Vessel.
Old 05-05-2013, 23:16   #23

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Well, there you go. Glad to hear you found the papers. Sounds like you are all set.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: