Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2010, 01:37   #61

Location: East coast USA (normally)- Paris, France at the moment
Boat: looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesquaukee View Post
The US navy has such a device.
A number of cruisers I know never saw anything on radar, then poof, a searchlight and a US Navy ship "materializes" close by, still no contact on radar. Then a boarding without permission and when asked will not identify themselves.

I like the Mexican Navy who come by, polite, gracious, ask for permission to board. A bit of socialization, offers to help us if a problem should arise, offers of fresh water, and upon leaving wish us well.

I wonder how effective a pressure washer would be, say 3500 PSI, 5 GPM.
Far out....that is freeky!

Aaaah mexican fisherman. I have always quite liked them...when I was a kid living in Tucson we'ld go down often...to a little place called Kino Bay. Just a little fishing village...one of the fishermens wives turned their house into a restaurant, mmmmmmm. I just remember spending all day and all night on the beach. Mango juice running down our chests then the beach dust sticking to it....we looked like a band of miniature head hunters by the end of our trips...

Course a few years later I went for the $2 per gallon Tequila
DangerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 07:56   #62

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
It boggles the mind. How did that deal come about?
Just one of those serendipity things that makes cruising such an adventure. It started with a greeting over VHF.
Fussing about solo in third world countries was an incredible experience. But you must do the counter-culture thing.

Once will anchored off of a very remote island in NW Panama, a dugout approached with a man and a small boy on board. The boy had been bitten by a dog and his father was requesting first-aid for the boy. After patching him up, I was invited to dinner.
Going ashore I enjoyed an incredible feast in their dirt floored, home with no walls, just a palm covered roof with bamboo poles to hold it up. Pigs, chickens and kids all over the place. He builds dugout canoes with hand tools to sell. He drills a hole thru the bottom to measure how much to remove from the inside, then plugs the hole. Fasinating!

This was in the late summer of 2001. I've hundreds of stories like this from my nine plus years cruising.

John

l
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 08:24   #63
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Once will anchored off of a very remote island in NW Panama, a dugout approached with a man and a small boy on board. The boy had been bitten by a dog and his father was requesting first-aid for the boy. After patching him up, I was invited to dinner.
Going ashore I enjoyed an incredible feast in their dirt floored, home with no walls, just a palm covered roof with bamboo poles to hold it up. Pigs, chickens and kids all over the place. He builds dugout canoes with hand tools to sell. He drills a hole thru the bottom to measure how much to remove from the inside, then plugs the hole. Fasinating!

This was in the late summer of 2001. I've hundreds of stories like this from my nine plus years cruising.

John
And we're pleased that you've joined Cruisers Forum to share them with the world, John.

TaoJones
Old 21-02-2010, 12:51   #64

I just was reading on the Indigo Moon thread about the violence in Guatemala (http://www.indigomoon.us/triplog/tr030.html) and I started to think of some possible measures that I could take once I’m able to start my voyage.
Under the assumption that it’s not a good thing when an intruder has boarded your vessel without your permission, perhaps the following might make the difference in a violent altercation.
As a minimum and possibly in addition to weapons maybe the following might be worth considering?
1. Create a bank account back at home that when withdrawn from overseas or when not in person the bank immediately contacts the appropriate authorities and family members. This will set off an alarm and possibly give your last known location to the authorities and family members.
2. When going to bed leave a note and money (marked bills and depending on location, maybe a couple of thousand dollars) in an accessible spot on the boat that can be easily visible once a person boards the vessel. If no one boards the vessel than put the money back in a safe place when you wake up and you lose nothing. It’s not guaranteed but you have nothing to lose and it might make the difference. I’m assuming that most of these intruders are trying to make a quick buck and by not having to talk to them or associate with them it might lower the chances of an altercation.
3. If boarded and you make contact with them instead of being aggressive perhaps try to negotiate a price or a deal to provide you a form of protection from other possible intruders. Turn the situation from a possible violent intrusion to a business deal and let them know that you would pay them in advance on a daily basis.
alfnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 13:02   #65

If you believe that you're going in harms-way when you go cruising, why in the world would you go cruising?
Old 21-02-2010, 13:20   #66

I don't think most victims believe they are going in harms way. If they are then I'm assuming its probably because of lack of options.
Old 21-02-2010, 13:45   #67

alfnator,
Welcome to the forum.
Please forgive my sarcasm. It's just that I was cruising for nine plus years with no problems and I get cranky in these gun threads.
Old 21-02-2010, 13:54   #68

Location: East coast USA (normally)- Paris, France at the moment
Boat: looking
Quote:
If you believe that you're going in harms-way when you go cruising, why in the world would you go cruising?
We are always in harms way...but we still get out of bed everyday.

If you don't think your in harms way on a boat then why have a life raft, life ring or EPIRB...why wear a seatbelt when driving? I know I am in harms way when I drive my motorcycle but I still do it. BUT I wear gear...

So, some might want to go to places where a weapon might be as useful as a helmet, seatbelt or EPIRB...that's all.

Suppose I could have done the "climb the mountain because it is there" bit...lol
DangerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 13:56   #69

Boat: Homebuilt Paddlewheeler, 36'
Crap Cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
I read many threads on the subject and briefly studied the laws of some of the countries that I planned to visit and concluded, as you have, that the inconvenience of carrying a firearm outweighs the advantages.
There's no guarantee that you will need it but having it is a guaranteed hassle.
I really do plan to make a crap cannon. Really.
After one Ill advised evening of drinking and dining near Ensenada, I BECAME a crap cannon.....Perhaps with a little prep when going into dangerous areas..........

nah..
wildshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 14:03   #70

Boat: Homebuilt Paddlewheeler, 36'
Speaking of archaic artillary, I wonder if you could get away with black powder? Stick a nice .75 flintlock in a glassed frame and hang it prominently in the cabin as a decoration. . .. . .in case of piracy, break glass....
wildshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 14:12   #71
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
really bad idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfnator View Post
2. When going to bed leave a note and money (marked bills and depending on location, maybe a couple of thousand dollars) in an accessible spot on the boat that can be easily visible once a person boards the vessel.
Once word gets out that cruiser's are leaving $2,000 in accessible spots on their boats, none of us are going to be safe, whether armed or not.

I'd rather spread the word that we're all armed, and just have those among us who are not armed keep quiet about it.
Old 21-02-2010, 14:34   #72

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
Hey, we all have the makings of a trebuchet right there! Boom, anchor, all we need is a bunch of plague infested rats to launch at the intruders...or would we need health certificates for the rats?
Honestly, given the problems associated with trying to beat the system, however 'wrong' it may be, doing your best to avoid the worst is the best approach. In a world that allows for only the bad guys to have weapons, one that makes you bad if you do, you're out of luck and might just as well relax and enjoy the cruise. As JohnA points out, what might have been ugly situations were you armed might just turn into wonderful memories and stories...
But I tell you what, those coastguard boys that jump aboard without identifying themselves will find me locked below and long pointy things to avoid! Pudles of burning gas on the metal deck etc...
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 15:01   #73

Quote:
alfnator,
Welcome to the forum.
Please forgive my sarcasm. It's just that I was cruising for nine plus years with no problems and I get cranky in these gun threads.

Thanks John for welcoming me to the forum and no harm done. Unlike yourself, the only live aboard experience I have are extended weekends at best. Therefore, my comments and questions may certainly be ignorant due to my lack of real world experiences in cruising. So please forgive me since my intentions are not to beat a dead horse nor to questions others experiences. However they do serve a selfish purpose in my quest to learn as much as possible about the cruising lifestyle before making the transition myself. I still have more than a decade to go before being able to realistically even consider the transition but I enjoy living the life through this forum , other blogs and playing what if scenarios. However, the only down fall I do see in living aboard and abroad is the feeling of being vulnerable on a small floating fiberglass target. Perhaps this is an unjustified concern but it’s a concern for me none the less.

After reading the report about the Dryden’s account I can’t help to wonder what proactive measures can be done in the unlikely event of being boarded by an intruder. I’m not a betting man but if I have to make a bet I like the odds on my side. Therefore,
In my initial comment I was trying to come up with some possible proactive alternative methods when dealing with unknown or questionable areas that one might unexpectedly find themselves in. My intention was not to suggest those circumstances are the norm nor it’s a dangerous lifestyle, but obviously those circumstances have occurred to the unfortunate few. I also assume that those intruders are only interested in making a quick buck so why not give it to them.

Old 21-02-2010, 15:06   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Once word gets out that cruiser's are leaving $2,000 in accessible spots on their boats, none of us are going to be safe, whether armed or not.

I'd rather spread the word that we're all armed, and just have those among us who are not armed keep quiet about it.

Why not do both or in addition to your normal provisions and then you can access the situation on whether to go on a full blown gun fight or not? Also I think in that intance one might be more concerned with the safety of their family than worried about spreading the word.

I could be wrong due to my lack of experience or research but it’s my understanding that you are not allowed to have weapons in certain areas ? Is that not correct?
Old 21-02-2010, 15:16   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerCell View Post
We are always in harms way...but we still get out of bed everyday.

If you don't think your in harms way on a boat then why have a life raft, life ring or EPIRB...why wear a seatbelt when driving? I know I am in harms way when I drive my motorcycle but I still do it. BUT I wear gear...

So, some might want to go to places where a weapon might be as useful as a helmet, seatbelt or EPIRB...that's all.

Suppose I could have done the "climb the mountain because it is there" bit...lol
I suppose that I should clarify my comment.
These gun threads all have the same theme. It's us vs them. Everyone is going to kill us or rob us, therefore we must expect it amd plan for it. Carry a gun and be prepared to shoot first. Do clever things to keep the pain to a minimum. Lock yourself in every night.
Outfit your boat and turn your back on your former life to go cruising and then worry yourself silly to protect your loved ones from what, the boogie man?

You newer posters should realize that these gun threads pop up about every three weeks. They have since the first boater chat room in the '80's. Do a search within this forum. They all have the same theme: us vs them.

These threads will bump and bounce along for awhile and then someone really spins out of control and the mods shut it down.

What I've tried to do is to inform people that based on my experience, cruising was a worry free adventure of my lifetime. No guns, no problems!

What I should do is not open and read gun threads!