Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-03-2010, 06:20   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
I think we need to try and get back on track here...
The Original Posters question is legalities around how to have a gun on board.
Thanks guys.
Which is largely answered here
Firearms Regulations by Country

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:31   #92
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'
For those who decry the whole guns thread thing, it is amazing to see how quickly the pages add up on the subject, kind of like the chicken and the egg argument.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:55   #93

Location: East coast USA (normally)- Paris, France at the moment
Boat: looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
The ones that want to take a gun cruising, are the sameones that keep a gun in their homes and cars, for protection from those "other" people.

Most gun deaths are suicide (over 80%) next is shooting a family member, or someone who knows the other person, then there's acidents, followed by murder during a crime, and I think less then 5% are while protecting ones self. How many times do you hear about someone shooting one of those "others"?

Only people who've never cruised think about taking a gun.IMO

Those of us who cruise or have cruised just yawn.
C'mon John A, words like "always" and "only" are silly.

Ok in the spirit of debate and at the risk of "spinning completely out of control" and getting the thread killed by mods:

I am surprised by the "us them" thing. Surprised it was the "nays" that created it here. People are individuals and should not be pigeon holed into such broad categories. Contrary to what you might think of the thread starter here (me) if I had to be categorized, by anyones estimation I would land firmly in the hardcore left wing on nearly every issue. I am a marine biology researcher, science teacher, and environmental activist (which automatically qualifies me as a left wing nut job).

I did grow up in AZ where guns were a form of cheap entertainment for, in my case, a poor teenager on his own, so I have had a few in the past. But for the record I have not owned one in decades, and even when I did, I never felt it necc. to keep one on me or in a car. Had em in the house only because that is where I kept all my stuff...never felt i needed them for protection in the least. And the notion of keeping one aboard a boat came to me not from my own insecurities or some fearful NRA nut, but from a 40 year cruiser that has been twice around the world (so far). On hearing the places I wanted to go he suggested I look into it...ie: NOT Australia, the US ICW, europe, Caribbean, or the Riviera for example...

I conceded my naivety in posting it here early in the thread, but it is a legitimate question. And am still glad I did, as I received good information (via GordMay). But it is inaccurate to categorize anyone looking into this as someone hell bent on somehow importing a "gun culture" to other developed countries or as an alarmist nut job... neither could be further from the truth in my case. And if you think this thread should die or that it is a silly question, why keep it alive with your posts other than to trumpet an inflated sense of superiority or self righteousness?

It looks like some may not have read the entire thread before commenting and have just chalked it up as another idiotic newbie gun thread. If you read it all you will not only find it highly entertaining, but that it is not entirely ordinary either. As I said earlier in the thread, after doing a lot of research I have decided it is far more of a pain in the ass than it is worth so the original question is now moot as far as this thread is concerned.

A smile, a kind word, and a good heart have seen me through much of 3rd world asia, the middle east, and even France (lol) by land, so I am confident it will get me through by sea as well

So please save your "holier than thou" comments for the next one (yawn)...which won't be long from what I gather

Cheers!
Old 01-03-2010, 07:21   #94
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

DangerCell,
It is mostly a pain in the butt to drag guns around, just from the maintenance stand point, let alone the regulatory issues. I work in a place where piracy is considered rampant and one of the main danger areas of the world; Nigeria. So far after about 6 years of working in the offshore boating industry, including some time on a security patrol boat, I have yet to encounter a situation that has left me saying "if I only had a gun, things would have turned out differently.", 99.9999% of the time, keeping ones wits about them, being observant of the local customs and respectful of the people where you are visiting, will carry you along trouble free. It breaks down to the wit of the person who owns the gun, if the person is of good wit, you will never know they are armed, if they are a dummy, then everyone will know. One cannot legislate good sense or fix stupid. No more than one can start a thread about weapons with a dispassionate examination of the different up sides & down sides.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:45   #95

Boat: Morgan 45 Enchantress
Danger,
As you've found out, mention the words 'guns' or weapons and you bring out strong emotions. You do have a legitimate question and what you should do is research the laws of any place that you might possibly visit and then make your decision on possible safety vs possible hassles.
We have never had guns on our boats but then we never went anywhere where I felt they would be needed (coastal U.S. and the eastern and southern Caribbean).
The one thing we did decide and that I would suggest to anyone is that if you have kids don't have guns. Whereever you put it and no matter how you lock it up, kids will find a way to get at it -- and this does not apply ony to guns. We felt that no matter how remote the chances the consequences were too dire. That applied to our house also.
Finally if you decide that the safety factor outweighs the possible hassles, decide on what threats you really might face and plan your weapons accordingly. It's your choice not anyone else's so if it feel right to you, it's right.
Actually it's not quite correct to say I've never had guns on my boat. Back in the mid to late 60's I had a boat with a Vulcan at the bow, twin fifties port and starboard and 20 mm cannon at the stern. Of course that was on the western Mekong so circumstances were a bit different

SV Enchantress
located Herrington Harbour South, Friendship MD
Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
bloodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:47   #96
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerCell
It looks like some may not have read the entire thread before commenting and have just chalked it up as another idiotic newbie gun thread. If you read it all you will not only find it highly entertaining, but that it is not entirely ordinary either.
Good point!

This was actually a really good "gun thread" for the first four pages or so, with a lot of fun being had and none of the cliched, polarizing positions being taken. (Heh, I never thought I'd ever say that about a gun thread!) Your open-minded good humor did a lot to keep it that way, DangerCell, so thanks for that.

I hope we can avoid having this one go down the tubes after such a great start.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:36   #97
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
DangerCell,
It is mostly a pain in the butt to drag guns around, just from the maintenance stand point, let alone the regulatory issues. I work in a place where piracy is considered rampant and one of the main danger areas of the world; Nigeria. So far after about 6 years of working in the offshore boating industry, including some time on a security patrol boat, I have yet to encounter a situation that has left me saying "if I only had a gun, things would have turned out differently.", 99.9999% of the time, keeping ones wits about them, being observant of the local customs and respectful of the people where you are visiting, will carry you along trouble free. It breaks down to the wit of the person who owns the gun, if the person is of good wit, you will never know they are armed, if they are a dummy, then everyone will know. One cannot legislate good sense or fix stupid. No more than one can start a thread about weapons with a dispassionate examination of the different up sides & down sides.
Well said.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:15   #98

Location: East coast USA (normally)- Paris, France at the moment
Boat: looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
DangerCell,
Well said indeed. Could not agree more

Cool job m8! Pretty wild place eh? Gonna get to africa at some point
Old 01-03-2010, 09:36   #99
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The biggest problem for sailing vessels in the Gulf of Guinea is the lack of wind. Libreville is nice, Equatorial Guinea has some nice places. I would steer clear of Angola. West coast of Africa has some nice scenery, but it is not unlike most other tropical venues.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:32   #100
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
an American thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Ita an American thing right, this obsession with guns ( and gun threads) if your that scared them stay at home, leaves more cruising spaces for the rest of us.
There has, indeed, been an active gun culture in America since our founding. This culture is especially active in states that were admitted to the union after the invention of the Colt revolver, which was patented in 1836. It's understandable that the citizens of nations whose histories begin prior to the invention of the gun might not appreciate our fascination with this particular technology.

I think there's more to the American fascination with guns than our historical culture, however. Ask yourself why the bee evolved its stinger while the grasshopper did not. The bee's stinger evolved to defend the wealth of honey being stored in the hive. This was not a concern for grasshoppers, who would simply move on once their food sources became depleted in any given area.

There seems to be a nearly unanimous message coming from those cruisers who have spent time abroad: you won't need the stingers out here. Equally, if these gun threads are any indication, the ones who are most adamant about the need for strong self-defense are the ones who have not yet left the hive, and probably never will.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:37   #101

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
On a positive note
Yippeeee
Today ive had my 5 yearly shot gun license renewed. Ive held one for 32 consecutive years.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:39   #102
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
On a positive note
Yippeeee
Today ive had my 5 yearly shot gun license renewed. Ive held one for 32 consecutive years.
Held a shotgun for "32 consecutive years"?! That seems a bit on the paranoid side, not to mention it would make a lot of daily activities difficult to perform.

But, to each his/her own, I always say.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:53   #103

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Sneuman: HA! LOL..

Amy I didn't think the UK allowed gun ownership anymore. Is it just that you were already permitted so then allowed to continue renewing? Admittedly, I haven't kept up with this issue on your side of the puddle....
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:54   #104

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
No silly, read what I said. You dont happen to work in the press by any chance? Those guys have an uncanny knack of only seeing what they want to see.
Putting all the stats aside for death, injury, crime etc shore side, isnt the sea one of the last places left where crime is so low per capita, or per square mile?

Staying clear of trouble has to be the best protection.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:03   #105

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
I am a bit dense at times, so evidently something went over my head. No, I despise the press (in general). Sorry.

and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: