Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 18:33   #151

Boat: Newport 27 S-II
Re: We are being terrorized

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailstoo View Post
And Zimmerman, who is in jail, has had his life change forever.
He's in jail cuz of perjury. He also started the fight with the kid. Nice try though
elliebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 18:37   #152

Boat: private yacht always moving

I think the OP should just move,,, and next time it happens move again,, and next time move again,,,keep moving, that will solve the problem,,,just keep moving,,,,stand up to a bully and they run home to momma
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 18:38   #153

Boat: Endeavour CC 40' AbbyGale

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Heron View Post
I would recommend that you seek legal counsel. Retain a lawyer to discuss your options for SELF DEFENSE and what you can and cannot do under florida law...
Here is what will happen if you hire a lawyer.

1. The lawyer will take your money.

Old 02-08-2012, 18:40   #154

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
Guys, gals.....look, I'm not a moderator here, but going ionto vigilante justice advocacy can place the forums at risk of lawsuit. I run internet forums for a living, as a consultant for a major media company and I just found this place, and already like it and the people here. I'd really hate to see it get messed up by a lawyer trolling for a damages suit.
Yes...personally if I was going to try and defend myself, I would come up with a decent plan, with enough help that I did not get over my head and I sure as hell would not be advertising it here. I always laugh the personalities of posters here
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Copy of untitled.bmp (305.0 KB, 80 views)
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 18:40   #155

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober

2 . the lawyer will get a 20 foot jetboat for his 16 year old.
bruce smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 22:56   #156

^^^^ Awesome
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:41   #157

Boat: Long Range Live a-board Trawler
Thank you again for the many helpful replies.

I'm learning that many of you are actually reading them while others are only skimming my replies and not taking my reasons for staying in the area into consideration.

Many of you take a more violent approach to certain things, while others don't.

It might be a great idea if there was a "Navigation Rules and Laws" reference as part of this forms website.

The poly line is a great idea, but first needs to be re-searched for liability on the users end.
Saying that it was just floating, or part of my anchor line or just my MOD ready line, isn't going to protect me.

I've already sat down with an officer from another country who sees and understand my situation and laughed because they do make sense and are helpful, but will cause the thrower problems in court.

Bad people have rights and bad manners in their personality doesn't help in court.

I'm going to call the USCG today and ask if shooting a flare straight up in the air 500-1000' from a public pier is legal, when looking to scare off someone of draw attention for help, like in the original post.
I already know that the answer is no, it is illegal.
But it doesn't hurt to double check.

Some posted that I wasn't being terrorized , and neither were any of my neighbors.

Until I can speak for them in this or any form, I opted to only present this for myself.
If the word "terrorized" was out of place, I apologize, maybe harassed would have been a better word - but this seemed to me, to be on a higher level that included damage, injury and continued over an extended time period.

For the record - I'm not sure how or where the use of a gun came into all this - but none of this is worth going to jail over.

The ONLY time to use lethal force is AFTER they have boarded and with harmful intent.

Thanks,
Hatch
Hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:54   #158

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I would say that throwing out a floating line with the intention of causing damage to someone's boat, even to the boat of a jackass who is doing you harm, would be a criminal act. Might be very hard to prove, so maybe you would get away with it, but you would always know you did it (even if it was fun and entertaining at the time ).

Only you can decide whether it's worth all the hassle and possibly risk to stay and fight it out. If you decide to stay and fight it out, more power to you. If I were you, in that case, I would use strictly legal means, concentrating on making complaints everywhere possible and getting some publicity if possible. The squeaky wheel gets the grease -- so the more noise you make, the more likely someone will take some action to protect you. The reason you should be extremely careful to never step even near, much less over any line of legality, is that you will make enemies, and your enemies will look as hard as they can to find something, anything to hang you on. If they are politically connected, then it won't take much -- maybe even a burned out anchor light or expired insurance would be enough. Much less any kind of retaliation -- floating lines, shooting off flares, brandished firearms, whatever.

Will be a big hassle; hope it will seem worthwhile to you after it's all over. Only you can make that call.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:19   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
...none of this is worth going to jail over.
Thank goodness that you have enough sense to realize that, even if others on this thread don't.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:23   #160
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce smith View Post
this silly floating poly business is another good way to piss a chap off even worse, not to mention it would have no effect on a 20' jetski boat.

I suspect it's just as illegal as booby-trapping your home because you're afraid of intruders, because innocent people can be hurt.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:56   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce smith View Post
2 . the lawyer will get a 20 foot jetboat for his 16 year old.
and then you will have 2 20foot jet boats to deal with, get sued by the lawyer for getting in his sons way of having fun, lose your sailboat,, and end up living on the beach all because you went to a lawyer
Old 03-08-2012, 08:05   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Thank goodness that you have enough sense to realize that, even if others on this thread don't.
hire couple of local thugs to site on your boat till the terrorists come back. some people like that kind of work
Old 03-08-2012, 08:38   #163

Boat: 1973 Hughes 25
Send a message via Yahoo to nosinglesource Send a message via Skype™ to nosinglesource

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannen View Post
Here is what will happen if you hire a lawyer.

1. The lawyer will take your money.

I say this without knowing you, but it sounds as though you have intimate knowledge of the Family Court System!
nosinglesource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 19:00   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I would say that throwing out a floating line with the intention of causing damage to someone's boat, even to the boat of a jackass who is doing you harm, would be a criminal act.
Yes, but...

a) putting out a line with the intent of retrieving an anchor would be perfectly acceptable.

b) Even if the intent was to create a barrier to passing so close, that is a far cry from intent to cause harm.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 19:22   #165

Boat: grampian 26

For all who advocate cutting and running: "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote