Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 08:48   #136
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: We are being terrorized

Quote:
... I'm just trying to understand why boaters are considered third class citizens in this area ...
Perhaps, because we don’t support the community services through property taxes.
Not an excuse, but one possible reason.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:15   #137

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

As far as polyline or anything else in the water adds fuel to the fire that liveaboards pollute. They will use this tact to their advantage. It amazes me that the police would excuse a drunk teen on a boat. Doesn't he know that a drunk teen on a boat is a drunk teen in a car?
Personally, I would go to a city council meeting and bring up the issue of the non-response from the city's finest. Secondly go to the USCG commander with the issue and lastly the media. the city hates egg on the face.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:38   #138

Do a Zimmerman, you are in Florida....
searay290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:08   #139

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by searay290 View Post
Do a Zimmerman, you are in Florida....
And Zimmerman, who is in jail, has had his life change forever.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:14   #140
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

[QUOTE=Dockhead; And if the jackass you shot happens to be the spoiled son of a local city councilman whose cousin is a local judge or sheriff -- as is so often the case in these backwater s***hole places -- you will not be able to be sure that justice will prevail at all. .[/QUOTE]

Not pickin on ya there Dockhead but I'm not sure that this is a backwaters***hole.
But why does it seem that everytime the conversation turns to a boater shooting anyone anywhere for whatever reason, it will 95% of the time be a local judge, sheriff or mayors relative and your azz is cooked right or wrong? Seems the logical conclusion to this therory is that local politicos sure are breeding an extra extremly high percentage of local criminals.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:28   #141
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Seems the logical conclusion to this therory is that local politicos sure are breeding an extra extremly high percentage of local criminals.

Criminals do breed criminals!
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:42   #142

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Not pickin on ya there Dockhead but I'm not sure that this is a backwaters***hole.
But why does it seem that everytime the conversation turns to a boater shooting anyone anywhere for whatever reason, it will 95% of the time be a local judge, sheriff or mayors relative and your azz is cooked right or wrong? Seems the logical conclusion to this therory is that local politicos sure are breeding an extra extremly high percentage of local criminals.
It's just one of the hundred ways it can all go terribly wrong, if you shoot someone, no matter how right you are. The point being that being right might not be enough to keep you out of trouble, and it will definitely not keep you out of an immense life-changing hassle.

And it is not a theoretical risk, if you come into a small community, and end up shooting an unruly teenager operating a $20,000 jet boat. What percentage of the local teenagers have the use of $20,000 jet boats? Can you draw a Venn diagram showing the intersecting sets -- small town residents with power (city councilmen, sheriffs, judges) and small town residents who have unruly brat teenagers who have the use of $20,000 jet boats? So now you see.

But the OP has clarified that he has more perspicacious views on the use of firearms to resolve conflicts, than some of the other members. So we're not really talking to him - he's got that one figured out.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:52   #143
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1977 Pearson 30
My $.02

I can't believe that I read all 9 pages. Mostly I was interested in seeing if my first impression would change during the reading. It was only reinforced as I read.

Here are the details that I found the most interesting and since you welcomed criticism, I have decided to share.
1. You are "dialing in" your boat 30 miles away from your house.
2. You have been "dialing in" your boat in this location for over a year.
3. In an area with many anchorage options you have chosen a location in close proximity to a public dock (credit Google Earth).
4. You are a retired correctional officer.
5. You have an opportunity waiting in Guatemala.
6. Local police "friends" hands are tied.
7. No department with authority will enforce existing laws.
8. Your neighbors are also "terrorized", but are quiet types who won't complain.

The armchair conclusions that I have drawn regarding your self imposed situation are as follows (in the same order as presented above).
1. Your house is a safety net to your live-aboard life style.
2. You have been "dialed in" for nearly a year. Rio Dolce is an inland city with protected anchorages which you are prepared for.
3. I do not think you will find a similar public dock in Guatemala.
4. You no longer wear the uniform of a corrections officer. Methods used by a uniformed corrections officer to demand "respect" do not translate to the free space of an anchorage.
5. Guatemala, which sounds great when telling a story, is a world away from a very comfortable life and lifestyle on the gulf coast of Florida.
6. Local police "friends" are being polite by implying that their hands are tied. Police are free to enforce all laws without interference of their superiors.
7. Some laws, like the ones that you want enforced, are at the bottom of the priority list.
8. Terrorize means to create and maintain a state of extreme fear and distress in someone. Your neighbor's are not terrorized. They are polite and will not tell the retired corrections officer to relax and enjoy living on a boat.
Anonymous7500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:31   #144

Boat: OEM, proportional

Drunk kids hooning on a boat, and kamikaze midnight musical fisher"men" should be enforceable....in Florida, or Guatemala.

Yes, the boss cop does call the shots. Try doing your own thing in military/paramilitary setups and you soon become a civilian, sometimes after a stint as guest of your former workmates.

Legalism is increasing, as is lawlessness...the two are intimately related. Good morals (and freedom) were once strong, and they were only dismantled by chipping away a piece at a time...the end will come as a flood. If you want to preserve some decency, you'll have to always be careful, sometimes tough, and increasingly be prepared to move rather than make a last stand. Sometimes the barbarians are just too numerous and well entrenched. The trouble these days, the barbarians are well able to pretend to be civilised, and use civilised rules to their own depraved ends.

OP was trying to relax...but someone else's "relaxation" interfered with that. His polite and reasonable attempt to awaken some spark of decency reaped a foul harvest....he didn't sow the crop or water it, he just got the end of it.

If it were an isolated spot in the third world, I for one wouldn't monkey about with a "retired corrections officer"....but it was supposedly in the land of the free, the home of the brave, etc. That's why he was asking about how to deal with this kind of thing without making himself a prey. Not sure if that's been completely dealt with in this thread, but surely there isn't a whole lot more to suggest. Hope the scumbags learn some manners and leave folks alone.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:44   #145
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i think the op doesnt want to fix it, but only wants to rant--the cure has been given--one that actually did work. is being ignored--therefore--enough is enough.
kids not raised right and violations of laws are not being addressed--MOVE YOUR BOAT. you dont want to do what has been proven to work in this exact type of situation in another place--MOVE.

there is no reason to bring out guns and ammo--isnt robbery. is plain and simply endangerment and reckless boating. video and media and uscg harbor safety. then get the flock out.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 13:08   #146

Boat: OEM, proportional

I can understand the OP's frustration.

Yes; video, CG, Police, Media, anchor up.

Teleport the drunken teens, with boat, to just off the Somali coast; and then hypnotise the midnight fishernut to ignore aircraft carriers...with a bit of luck, he'll go fish within 30 feet of one and get hosed with a .50 for his trouble. That last was merely a pair of vicarious fantasies.
Old 02-08-2012, 18:01   #147

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i think the op doesnt want to fix it, but only wants to rant--the cure has been given--one that actually did work. is being ignored--therefore--enough is enough.
kids not raised right and violations of laws are not being addressed--MOVE YOUR BOAT.

I see...another random judgment on what the op does and dose not want. A lot of Phychics here. If kids break the windows in my house, should I move? There is a solution here some where. There always is. Allowing these snot nose's to get their way is not it.
A year ago in Davis Ca. a UC Davis cop pepper sprayed a group of students peacefully protesting tuition hikes. The Dean shrugged it off, the chief of Police tried playing down but the students and towns people didn't let it go. The shined a spotlight on it. Last week the officer that did the spraying was terminated and lost all benefits. No...you don't run...you stand up for what is right.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 18:13   #148

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
No...you don't run...you stand up for what is right.
A wise man once said
Quote:
You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
Know when to walk away and know when to run.
Old 02-08-2012, 18:24   #149

Boat: Newport 27 S-II

Hatch, I would use floating line as well, but wait until I was provoked to throw it out. When they are circling around for another pass, toss out the line, then kick back and wait, preferably with a crowbar or bat in hand if the A-hole puts 2 and 2 together. Flare guns are always an option, even if you didn't shoot it at them, sending one up will most likely get someone's attention or scare off the ahole boater. Having reports of each incidence was smart, cuz if it ever escalates above this, the police are gonna have a hard time blaming you for any actions you had to take to protect your wife and kids, especially if it was an "accident", and they had to prove intent. Remember, "your word against his" can work for you as well. Anybody know if you can find out a name by doing a registration number search? Never underestimate the value of vigilante justice
elliebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 18:28   #150

Boat: 1984 Johnson Boatworks Inland Scow, 20' and a 1975 sailMFG Bandit 19 Pocket Cruiser

Guys, gals.....look, I'm not a moderator here, but going ionto vigilante justice advocacy can place the forums at risk of lawsuit. I run internet forums for a living, as a consultant for a major media company and I just found this place, and already like it and the people here. I'd really hate to see it get messed up by a lawyer trolling for a damages suit.