Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2012, 15:18   #76
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: We are being terrorized

is never ok to launch a projectile of any sort at another vessel of any sort--that, me dear, is considered under maritime law, under which it is spozed to be tried, as an act of war.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 15:20   #77

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Last year we had an issue north of anclote with drunkenjet skiers racing around our boat at night with no lights. They were actually going between our boat and anchor chain where it met the water. We were yelling g warnings and shining a spot on the chain so they would avoid and then slammed into the side of our boat. Wanting to fight for shining a light in their eyes. The one "billybada$$ was so drunk he fell off his jet ski. We called. The Fwc, CG, and local police dept. We were pretty much told the same thing. Unless someone was dead or dying. There would be no intervention. When they we're asked how would it look if someone ended up dying or killing others after they were warned they said sorry hands are tied. Bottom line. It is almost unheard of that any type of law enforcement will go on the water after dark. I guess not enough bikinis and hot dogs. Now if it were a drug bust probably theyvl would be there. Your best bet ignore the jerks and they will go away.
Unreal!
Old 31-07-2012, 15:21   #78

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
I agree wholeheartedly, but I do have a question/wonder about where the line is sometimes.

If for example you threw a water balloon, would that be assault or self defense? (think of whale wars type tactics)

In Florida it seems like if he actually pulled a gun and opened fire, he'd have a reasonable chance of actually not being charged, but anything less and the OP becomes the bad guy?
In florida pulling a gun a shooting a bullet int eh air is worse than shooting someone. some lady is looking at 20 plus years for pulling a gun at a robber and firing in the air. she scared the robber off and got arrested for shooting a firearm. she would have been better off just shooting him and claiming self defense
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 15:25   #79

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
I have a different view than all of you, so you are probably not going to like it.

My experience tells me that the OP did something, possibly subconsciously, that caused you to become his target. In my experience, a face-to-face discussion will go a lot further than anything you have done or anything that has been suggested. People prone to aggressive behavior, generally escalate a notch when they feel they have upset their target, or when their target photographs them, videos them, or takes some other aggressive move.

If it were me, I would ask the person if he would tell me what I did wrong so that I could apologize. Sounds like you have had more than one chance for a face-to-face.

Think about this. Suppose the CG or police interviews this guy based on your complaint. Don't you think he will know who reported him? They are not going to put him in jail. What to you think the outcome will be from his scolding?

Hope this helps.

Bill
that makes lots of since ,,,,,probably get shot,,,let see,,,,,kids drinking,,,you ask them to move politely, they tell you to F--c off, you get in dingy and say lets talk,,,,,you get shot or run over that way. by the way, what was the outcome of asking them to move. video tape then the police,,,then protect yourself with a gun,

captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 15:25   #80

Boat: Long Range Live a-board Trawler
I see by some of these replies, that some of you are in my area.

I appreciate the info on the news articles and how Gulfport is looking to improve their "Boater Friendly" appearance to help generate more merchant income.

Funny thing is, I spend my money here as well, I go around and pick up trash if I see it on the streets, and we pick-up other people's dog poop.
(I'm assuming because the pet owner is unable or irresponsible.)

The point is, we contribute in other ways in addition to spending our money with the merchants here.

One post suggested that we should talk with the "Top people" who help run the city.

I have talked with the chief of police, I've sat with him for close to an hour.
I've sat with city council members, I sat with many people that I thought would help make a difference, and help.

Everyone is very polite, but I'm sure they have their own agendas.

As for how I handle this last situation, I'm anchored across from a karaoke bar that closes at 3am.
I'm use to loud and bad music.

This last situation was like having their boat inside mine !!
I realized even with my yelling, they couldn't hear me, that was why I flashed my spot light to get their attention, and they were less than 50' away. ( my nearest neighbor is 300')
I took it personal when they came back a second time, closer and louder.

Could I have handled it differently, maybe.
I didn't mind the name calling, the swearing, or the physical threats - but without an eye on them with my spot light (the second time continually on) I wasn't sure what their intent was, coming around a second time.

Using a video camera is a good idea, I'll try it with my current spot light to see what the results are.
As for the newspaper, Gulfport wasn't perceived well in the last article involving a beached boat from TS Debbie.
I'm really just a visitor here and I want to continue feeling welcomed.

We do need help out here, and I have asked my neighbors to please speak up, but they are either afraid, or just hope it magically stops one day.
There are a few of them that are starting to slowly say something, but since the police don't do anything, their afraid to stick their necks out.

Most people say that it's because it's summer, not true, it's year round here.

Thank for all that have replied, I appreciate your interest in helping us.

Maybe those of you who are in this area would be willing to meet with me. (if this topic is relevant to you)

Thank you all very much.
Hatch
Hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 15:42   #81

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

If it was I. I would write a letter to the Area Commander of the Coast Grd, Stateing you have or your animals have been injured by folks wake in his area and were refused help with the problem by his local group!! they should of at least taken a report !! and the vidio idea is great !! If you don't recieve an answer, or if he gives you some silly reason then report that to the local news !! The use of guns or anything like that is just DUMB!! Thats my 2 cents
Old 31-07-2012, 17:55   #82

Boat: Heritage East 40

"Lion rule Number ONE... Defend what is yours...."
The Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:27   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
The deputy who's got a brand new job?

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude
wow

The local comments on the original news story are pretty amazing.

As is the contrast between his resume for the job and hers. Reminds me of that saturday night live skit: "things that make you go Hmmmmm?"

That guy should be digging ditches somewhere. Somewhere else, I'm amazed he's not shunned by EVERYONE in that county.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:09   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Heron View Post
Capngeo,
You are splitting hairs on the the Stand your ground statute. Absence of a duty means duty. That is the reason of logic behind the statute. The courts have ruled that Police actually have no duty to defend anything.
The OP would be reasonable to presume a threat and arming himself.
The discharge of the weapon would depend on the other guys actions.
Proportionality is the key element here.
Non lethal means of fire extinguisher or water hose would be appropriate and I would lay on the horn to attract attention or ring the bell.
Board my boat, the bad guy establishes intent. I will defend my vessel.
The hair is split between the first and second bolds; The first would land the person brandishing the weapon in jail, the second would be justifiable.

Never said the police have a duty to protect anyone, they DO have a duty to enforce laws. IF the OP decides to make a complaint to FDLE for the local LEOs inaction (and can back it up with evidence), I suspect that GP Police and FWC would do their DUTY in the future.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:27   #85

capngeo,

My reaction and escalation of the situation all depends on the intent of the aggressor. The inherent right of self defense is not limited to a weapons discharge, although if it comes to that, so be it.

The deputies in my neck of Florida have told me in my discussions that "you should do what you think is neccessary to end the threat". Good advice in my book. No more or no less.

Tell you what, you defend your boat as you see fit and I will defend mine as I see fit. I wont wait for the Police to arrive to defend myself, my family or my property.

The point is rendered moot however because the OP has stated he is a chaplain and I assume a firearm is out of the equation.

cheers
Old 01-08-2012, 05:56   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
In florida pulling a gun a shooting a bullet int eh air is worse than shooting someone. some lady is looking at 20 plus years for pulling a gun at a robber and firing in the air. she scared the robber off and got arrested for shooting a firearm. she would have been better off just shooting him and claiming self defense
Okay, this is kind of off-topic, but you've got so many of your "facts" wrong here that I just have to respond.

First off, it wasn't a robber, it was her boyfriend. And she started the fight with him, followed him from room to room, then went and got a gun and came back after him. That's when she tried to scare him by firing the gun into the ceiling. Afterwards her attorney actually DID try to claim that it was self-defense.

Quite rightly, the jury rejected her idiotic argument that this was a legitimate case of self-defense, and found her guilty of a number of different charges.

Florida may have a reputation as the "gunshine state," and the reputation may even be well-deserved, but I can assure you that if you shoot someone (or just shoot AT someone, or even just threaten someone with a gun) in this state because they got too close to your boat, and "waked" you, you are ASKING for a long vacation in the hospitality of the state.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:56   #87
Armchair Bucketeer

I don't think the spotlight was out of order (albeit apart from the initial flash I would not have kept it shone directly into their boat, just enough to light them up) - I accept that they may have reacted badly to that, but f#ck 'em Sounds like you were dealing with mindless morons so being subtle isn't an option. IMO the light not simply to encourage them to go away, but to let them know you are onboard (maybe they had not realised?).....after that goes badly / doesn't work? well, apart from shooting some video (it does unsettle folks, even when the camera doesn't work - I would suggest not getting into exchanging name calling / threats apart from making clear you would like them to 'eff orf - and IME that can be conveyed fairly quickly )..........if all that doesn't work you just have to then suck up them being dickheads - whether for a few mins or a few hours.....the good news is that they won't likely be trying to board - and if they do that new rules apply (see multiple CF threads for ideas ).....

......so when no boarding to oppose, you win no matter what. You have a nice boat and are living a nice life . They are still a dickhead ....

........how much more you want to win later is a choice that is helped if you can ID the boat enough to track it and the owner down later..............

If you are in an area with lots of dickheads it is natures way of saying time to move somewhere civilised.

In 5 weeks time, let alone 5 years you will have forgotten all about them / this incident - but they will still be dickheads Revenge is a dish best served cold .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:05   #88

Denver, no one has said to shoot a gun at them for waking or threatening. What was said is a boater is within his rights to defend himself. IF it escalates and for all appearances it has the ability to do so, the OP would be within his rights to defend his boat if they rammed him, attempted to board or threw projectiles at him. His actions to date havent worked and sought the real world advice of those on the forum. Not all of us would cower in the cabin or cockpit hoping the problem goes away. The simple fact I have a firearm in view on the boat COULD make the guys think twice before boarding. A weapon being visible doesnt constitute "brandishing".

if they attempt to board all bets are off.

we can armchair QB this to death, but the simple fact remains that Florida state law ALLOWS you to defend yourself.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:20   #89

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling

Yeah....no matter how you look at this...it sucks. And true, we could all 'arm chair QB this' and hindsight will always be 20/20 but the science behind it says 'fight of flight'.

A similar thing happened to me...and my children were present....and the answer for me was to simply remove myself (and family) from the equation.

Going forward you can do one of those two things.....fight or flight. If that job as a CNA is that important to your wife and your ministries at that same place are that important to you...then you will probably want to fight. But seeing that you are of a spiritual nature, maybe a little Matthew 10:14 is what you need more. IMHO....No matter what faith you have, there is wisdom that can be found in that message!

Good luck to you, in which ever course you steer!
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:23   #90

I would look into a very loud directional speaker and play car alarm type noise for the loud music problem.

For the other problem of circling the boat, look at the other Sea Shepherd tactics. The only problem with that is that you might disable their boat pretty close to you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote