Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-08-2012, 07:40   #91

Boat: Beneteau 393, "Blackthorn"
Re: We are being terrorized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatch View Post

And for what its worth - I have spoke with the city council, they spoke with the city police.
Everyone says there are no funds available for marine patrol, so their marine patrol only comes out once a month, or special events.
Most of the marine patrol is uneducated in marine law, and the ground units rarely respond, if at all, even if it's not necessary to have a boat to help correct situations.

Thank you
Hatch

No marine patrol is necessary if you get the reg. number from the boat. A cruiser can meet the offender when he docks his boat or goes home. The inaction of the police is unacceptable. You need to file a formal (written complaint) with the city council and the police chief with copies to the State Representative for the district and the Coast Guard. No one takes phone calls seriously. Any attorney will tell you that you need a paper trail.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:47   #92
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Now onto 7 pages; given the situation, isn't time for somebody somewhere to suggest prayer as an option - or am I naive in this way of thinking .

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:49   #93
Mooderator

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Heron View Post
capngeo,

My reaction and escalation of the situation all depends on the intent of the aggressor. The inherent right of self defense is not limited to a weapons discharge, although if it comes to that, so be it.

The deputies in my neck of Florida have told me in my discussions that "you should do what you think is neccessary to end the threat". Good advice in my book. No more or no less.

Tell you what, you defend your boat as you see fit and I will defend mine as I see fit. I wont wait for the Police to arrive to defend myself, my family or my property.

The point is rendered moot however because the OP has stated he is a chaplain and I assume a firearm is out of the equation.

cheers
My only issue is that your interpretation of the law is incorrect, and members who follow your advise may well find themselves on the wrong side of the law.

In order to not further derail this thread, I would be happy to discuss the issue (as well as my credentials) further by PM
Old 01-08-2012, 08:43   #94

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler

There are too many other nice spots around for you to stay and put up with that sort of B.S, from the reckless boaters and uninterested authorities. Sticking around while this eats at you may turn out badly.
Steve W.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:28   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Heron View Post
...no one has said to shoot a gun at them for waking or threatening.
Uh... Actually, on the first page someone told the OP that in Florida he could pull a gun and open fire and he would "have a reasonable chance of actually not being charged." Another suggested a "shotgun blast into the air." These things are illegal, given the circumstances, as would be any attempt to frighten them with a firearm.

Of course you can defend yourself if you are actually threatened with imminent death or great bodily harm. "Waking" your boat does not even come close to rising to that standard.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:38   #96
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Of course you can defend yourself if you are actually threatened with imminent death or great bodily harm. "Waking" your boat does not even come close to rising to that standard.

I beg to differ. I bet a competent lawyer could find cases of fatalities or at least severe injury due to "waking" incidents. Lot's of them. I wouldn't be surprised if there is already a history of charges of vehicular homicide or vehicular assault resulting from same. Just speculation on my part, but I bet it's true.

"The Coast Guard has consistently listed boat wakes among the top 10 primary contributing factors for boating accidents in the United States in its annual Recreational Boating Statistics report. It's been determined that the number of boating accidents and personal injuries attributed to boat wakes during the last four years is an average of 193 people hurt each year because of the force of a boat’s wake and that an average of 211 accidents were caused by the force of a wake."
Old 01-08-2012, 11:55   #97

Boat: C&C 34

Let's get this in some sort of perspective here. The OP is generally discussing serious annoyances; waking, loud noise at night, implied threats, etc. And now some posters are suggesting the use of deadly force and justifying it through legal precedent (nomembers of the FL Bar I presume). In a recent concealed carry course I took the instructor began with, "If you use deadly force, your life will change". Note Florida's own George Zimmerman.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:02   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Uh... Actually, on the first page someone told the OP that in Florida he could pull a gun and open fire and he would "have a reasonable chance of actually not being charged."
And I stand by that. Agree with it or not, George Zimmerman's argument is that he felt in danger of a kid whom he was following. And the FACT is that he wasn't charged initially.

Yes, there is a lot of grey area in there, but the point I was making was not to actually encourage such behavior but to point out that retaliation is an all or nothing thing. You can't throw rocks at them, but if you believe your life is in danger, that's all the law requires to end that danger.

And yeah, I think if a powerboat is deliberately throwing a 5 or 8' wake at an anchored boat they are trying to hurt you & cause damage.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:03   #99

Location: Bristol PA, on the Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht club.
Boat: Oday 30, 4'11" draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensc View Post
There are too many other nice spots around for you to stay and put up with that sort of B.S, from the reckless boaters and uninterested authorities. Sticking around while this eats at you may turn out badly.
Steve W.

Really, seems to me it's the best thing to do.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:08   #100

Leave. As per your own description, you're not in a particularly great spot...
Old 01-08-2012, 12:08   #101
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailstoo View Post
Let's get this in some sort of perspective here. The OP is generally discussing serious annoyances; waking, loud noise at night, implied threats, etc. And now some posters are suggesting the use of deadly force and justifying it through legal precedent (nomembers of the FL Bar I presume). In a recent concealed carry course I took the instructor began with, "If you use deadly force, your life will change". Note Florida's own George Zimmerman.

I think you may be misreading some posts. The poster who said you might be better off in FL if you fired on someone rather than brandishing or threatening was clearly making a joke based on current events and the political situation in FL. Don't think that was a serious exhortation to use violence at all. The shotgun blast in the air may have been misguided, but was not suggesting deadly force. The most "violent" suggestion here was the use of floating poly line, and I think that is probably justified and perfectly legal. An anchor buoy with floating line would be easy to explain, and it is actually against the law for them to come close enough to you for it to be a problem (no wake within 50' of another vessel). I would keep a bucket of coiled 1/4" poly line on the foredeck with the float on top for easy throwing when needed. You could tie the bitter end to the anchor and run it up your chain so you can call it an "anchor buoy" when it ends up wrapped around their prop.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:09   #102
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Agreed. Drunk teenagers are not pirates and circling your boat isn't exactly an attack. No offense intended. They're just a pain and a nuisance. Not to belittle your pain, but why not just move to a nicer place or a more secluded place? Boats are portable and the ocean is big. It may be an inconvenience at the moment, but happiness will pay that right back many times over. We enjoy boats because, among other things, it's supposed to be relaxing. Don't bang your head on a wall all day with local police and coast guard who have more important things to do. Just pull anchor and cruise. My two cents.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:12   #103
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic

a 5 or 8' wake
Let's keep things in perspective here. A sport boat that wouldn't be grounded in the shallows of this area can't throw a wake this size. A wake this large would knock a sailboat on its ear, put water in the cockpit and likely the boat and be easily addressable as assault. Not what happened here.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:51   #104

Hmmm. If gulfport is trying to reach out to transients then obviously someone in the city government will care that harrassment risks driving them away. Find out who in the city govt cares and let them fight with law enforcement over their lack of doing their duty.

Make sure they understand that the reputation of gulfport is already tarnished by reports on sites very popular with sailors.

That's what i would do...or i'd move.
Old 01-08-2012, 13:57   #105

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I can't understand WHY the USCG is to busy to do thier duty ??? reports of this type "Wake damage" which by the way is one of the biggist causes of boating accidents, according to thier own records !!! It's seems as soon as they became drug inforcement folks things have changed !!! These folks have a right as US citizens to have the aid of the USCG! I will say we have a local USCG down the Bayou here in Louisiana, and if we have problems with things like this ! they are Jonny on the spot !! to help out and issue citations for wake damage and injury!! Sure a big difference in 6 or 7 hundred miles !! I still say I would send a letter to the Local Commander of the USCG, with a copy to the local news !! With all the stuff going on down there it would sure get some attention !! If ya don't want to do anything then the Only answer to to move !!! just my 2 cents

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: