Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2012, 06:12   #31

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design
Re: We are being terrorized

How about...calling the police. Tell them there is a ski boat full of drunk teenagers and a guy and a girl in a 30 foot fishing boat playing "boat chicken" in the harbor and shooting automatic weapons at each other as they pass, causing 25 people fishing from the pier to flee for cover. If that doesn't get some response, nothing will.
rhr1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 06:12   #32

Boat: Heritage East 40

"We were told not to protect or defend ourselves by both the USCG and the FWC. "

This is simply poor advice. You have a "DUTY" to stand your ground in Florida. I would agree that their actions were harrassment but not threatening or meeting the threshold of you taking action with a firearm such as shooting at them.

Regarding the drunk kids, well I would have let that go. Choosing your battle is important. They were kids and yea they were endangering your crew with their actions but after the police were notified that is the extent of it. I would let it go.

Regarding the guys in the boat, I think you made yourself the target by lighting them with the spotlight. That could be determined to be hostile by them. They have a right to the water ways as much as you/we do. As long as they are not interfering with your lines and boat, there is little you can do. BUT, after they got aggressive, you need to defend yourself. (not saying they were being polite by being loud at those hours)

I would have brought my shotgun up on deck and I wouldnt have cared two craps for what the A-holes in the boat were thinking or were saying if they saw it (I would not point it at them but I would defend myself if they boarded or rammed my boat.) IF they called the police due to their own actions of hostility, I doubt the police would respond according to the timeline anyways unless shots were fired.

At the least, you did the right thing. You called the authorities and are on record for having attempted to have the authorities take care of the issue. This way if you are forced to act in the future, you could prove you attempted non lethal means first.

I would be REAL hesitant to stay in a place with poor security and passive reaction from police. I would also make sure I had a security plan and was prepared to use it.

As pointed out, you could always pull in lines and move on. I would... life is too short.

oh and mean people suck... dont let them get you down. Good luck.
The Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 06:16   #33
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldsusa View Post
BAA BAA BAA

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I agree. Why be run off by a bunch of punk kids. Notify everyone you can that this is going on. I've notified BCYC and the Harbormaster. What about Maximo Marine, and the little boat yard south of Gulfport/Pasadena? What about the other yacht clubs in the area? Lots of people I know will anchor out for the night in the Bay just to be out on the water for a night.

Others have reported a boat *possibly* deliberately cutting their anchor rode. That's really very serious.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 06:17   #34
cruiser

What about shooting up a flare nxt time it happens? Draw some attention to it.
Old 31-07-2012, 06:30   #35

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

You can see the thin veneer of civilization at work here.
It can become a MAD MAX world out there when the authorities wont intervene.
Seriously that is what would happen if law and order were gone away and people felt they could get away with murder, torture, thievery. It is not that far away from that now. People are willing right now to do horrendous things to other people.

You can see how little those people are from being total anarchists and hooligans willing to go as far as possible in pushing the limits to see what they can get away with.

If It were me, I would move much further away from the area. I think you are a more of a target now than before.

Or you can escalate the situation and do something to them that likely will result in much more severe consequences.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 06:33   #36

Boat: Beneteau 393

My take-

I personally would have handled things a little differently than you, perhaps a bit more laid back approach. But you did what you thought was the right action, so that's fine. But there is IMO no point in wasting all your efforts on this....

You've already "won"! You're living aboard a boat, financially independant and/or retired (?), have each other as mates, and are free as a bluebird to go whereever you choose.

Life is waaay too short to get caught up in drama like this. This isn't some great battle of good vs. evil for the cosmos, and the freedom of all the citizens in Florida or the US isn't on the line if you don't retaliate/"stand up for yourself". Let the locals police their own, speak with your wallet and pick up your anchor, and enjoy experiencing a new anchorage.

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 06:43   #37
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhr1956 View Post
How about...calling the police. Tell them there is a ski boat full of drunk teenagers and a guy and a girl in a 30 foot fishing boat playing "boat chicken" in the harbor and shooting automatic weapons at each other as they pass, causing 25 people fishing from the pier to flee for cover. If that doesn't get some response, nothing will.

THat'll get a response all right. Filing a false police report will get you thrown in jail, and then they'll never take a call from you seriously.
Old 31-07-2012, 06:47   #38
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
You can see the thin veneer of civilization at work here.
It can become a MAD MAX world out there when the authorities wont intervene.
Seriously that is what would happen if law and order were gone away and people felt they could get away with murder, torture, thievery. It is not that far away from that now. People are willing right now to do horrendous things to other people.

You can see how little those people are from being total anarchists and hooligans willing to go as far as possible in pushing the limits to see what they can get away with.

If It were me, I would move much further away from the area. I think you are a more of a target now than before.

Or you can escalate the situation and do something to them that likely will result in much more severe consequences.

Can you line up other boaters who will hop in your boat and come join you next time this happens? What's needed is to get the local police to take this seriously, but FL laws complicate things here. To make a charge of harassment doesn't really exist in FL. There has to be a clear and credible threat of violence. This is something I'm very familiar with.

I'd get a video camera. I'd have others ready to join you. If there were suddenly 10 boats out there, and all ten made the same complaint ...

I HAVE seen the Gulfport police boat go racing out of the public marina on occasion. This needs to be talked about in the community. That police force will respond to community pressure.
Old 31-07-2012, 06:47   #39
cruiser

PS I would suggest you move your boat over to the east where there are more live aboards.
Old 31-07-2012, 06:48   #40
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
My take-

I personally would have handled things a little differently than you, perhaps a bit more laid back approach. But you did what you thought was the right action, so that's fine. But there is IMO no point in wasting all your efforts on this....

You've already "won"! You're living aboard a boat, financially independant and/or retired (?), have each other as mates, and are free as a bluebird to go whereever you choose.

Life is waaay too short to get caught up in drama like this. This isn't some great battle of good vs. evil for the cosmos, and the freedom of all the citizens in Florida or the US isn't on the line if you don't retaliate/"stand up for yourself". Let the locals police their own, speak with your wallet and pick up your anchor, and enjoy experiencing a new anchorage.

Frank

Easy for a guy to say. Have any idea how terrifying this would have been for me if I'd taken my boat out there for the night?
Old 31-07-2012, 07:05   #41

Do you own a video camera??

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 07:11   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

The suggestions of brandishing shotguns or flares will not end well for the OP. Also, there is no "DUTY" to stand your ground in Florida, the statute says you have no duty to retreat from a place that you are legally occupying. Only Law enforcement has a "duty" to enforce the law.

The actions described by the OP, do NOT arise to a threat of "great bodily harm" and as such, there is little in the way of force that the OP can do to stop the behavior. Similarly, the floating line, would most likely be frowned upon by the authorities unless appropriately marked at night.
Old 31-07-2012, 07:12   #43

Boat: OEM, proportional

In some countries, at places like train stations where lowlife sometimes hang about and make messes and trouble, they play classical music...perhaps someone playing loud music at night in a dinghy would appreciate the Overture of The Light Cavalry played at them. The cacophony of two totally different kinds of music played at once. Ok, not so nice to the neighbours, and also annoying when you'd rather be sleeping than dealing with rabble.

How about saving the spottie as next level up on the scale of escalation...start off with the speaking trumpet, politely.

Or how about a laser pointer....the little red dot tracking on them, and they're not sure what may be attached to the pointer. Just the vidcam...

If you're forced to solve your own problems, with your hands tied behind your back, you have to get smart about it. Plausible deniability...

In the end, probably up-anchor and go is the best option...some annoying folk just won't get the "leave me alone" message until it's pounded in, and then they squeal foul. Used to be otherwise....but those days are gone. But, Rakuflame's suggestion is great too; those days aren't all that far behind in memory, it just takes a bit of reminding the protect and serve crowd what it used to mean.
Old 31-07-2012, 07:19   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Take a cruise over to Cuba until school starts up again. You will be safe there and the night, in my experience, is very quiet.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 07:21   #45

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober

You call that "terrorism?
Being "hit by a spot" when 35 or 50 feet away and drifting would rile me up.
I think you notched it up and challenged them with the spot.
bruce smith is offline   Reply With Quote