Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2014, 12:03   #31

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Re: Washington State proposed NDZ

My opinion is even if it's hard, work on the significant part of the problem first. Seems that vessels are not the main problem. (See first link below.) Most have holding tanks. Less than 5% of the boats are treat and discharge. I didn't see any research on how poorly treat and discharge work, the reports just state that they don't think they work well. So the NDZ law appears to focus on 5% of the boats, where boating is a small part of the problem in the first place.

The worst potential offenders in boating are those with holding tanks that either say it is too inconvenient to find a pumpout, or don't believe that it is an environmental issue. The solutions are more pumpouts and more education. NDZ doesn't affect this at all.

Parent link for most links below: https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/publicat...s/1210031.html

Even the proponent says this is a small source. They seem to say they are focusing on boats discharging in specific areas. Again this is probably mostly a holding tank issue, unless the 5% with treat and discharge are targeting sensitive areas.

State weighs ban on all sewage discharges from boats | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

"Although the total volume of vessel discharge is small compared to other sources of wastewater, the ability to discharge near or in shellfish beds with little or no treatment presents a significant public health risk," Jankowiak said.

My bold below
From: https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/publicat...10031part1.pdf

These problems are highly complex and likely result from a combination of natural and human actions. Sewage discharges from vessels are not suspected to be the root cause of specific impairment listings or beach closures, but certainly contribute to the problem. This contribution may be reduced through the establishment of a NDZ.

From: https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/publicat...10031part5.pdf

3. Marine sanitation Device (MSD)
Porta-potty 3.3% 10
Type I 1.3% 4
Type II 3.6% 11
Type III (holding tank) 91.1% 276
None 0.7% 2

Same link

12. For what reasons do you think people are most likely to discharge illegally?
Pumpout station is broken 34.7% 104
Don't want to risk getting sprayed 8.7% 26
Don't think discharging harms the environment 34.3% 103
Too expensive 7.3% 22
Wait is too long 16.7% 50
Pumpout station not conveniently located 71.0% 213

https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/publicat...10031part6.pdf
Commercial vessels in Puget Sound
See Table 1 in link.
Most are already compliant with NDZ
Those that reported it would be challenging to comply:
The 138 tugboats with 4-7 people onboard have type 1 or 2 MSDs
NOAA research vessels. Not even discussed in document outside of the table.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 12:32   #32

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Fresh macerated human poo is good fish food. The authorities should undertake a full environmental study before they attempt to deny the fish this source of protein.

They should also rate the effects of the pleasure boat discharges compared to the effects of sea mammal discharges and bird colonies. Based on the perceived effects of fresh discharges from boats it could be very beneficial for the environment to wipe out a few bird and sea mammal colonies.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 12:32   #33

The "why?" valve was invented just to solve these bureaucratic issues.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 23:21   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

My major complaint is larger vessels, commercial and private, already have type II msd. These put out clear water. Chlorination in the last chamber is insurance that the water is sanitary. Those of us that have type II msds have already put out at least several thousand dollars meeting the current rules. As a former commercial fisherman, in compliance, I often saw people dump portable toilets. Also, this won't catch other cheats. Unless someone sees a marine head flush, cheaters just have to close and lock a valve. All that is required is a locked valve when in a NDZ. I have an 83' boat and often I can't get to a dock because it's filled with other boats that can jump into small spaces. Also, I have a wood hull, I can't just build in a holding tank. To have one of reasonable size would require removing either fuel or water tanks. With a holding tank, I could just go to the 3 mile limit and dump raw sewage instead of the USCG approved treated, legal, sanitized clear liquid I do now.
Lepke
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
washing, Washington