I've got an upcoming trip and I unfortunately didn't get around to submitting my application for reissue of my Certificate of Documentation
until only 2 weeks ago. I'm flying out in two days (this Friday) and I'm worried about sailing without that certificate. Does anybody have any experience with this situation?
I emailed USCG Vessel Documentation
last night and received a reply this morning stating:
"Your paperwork was received on 5-3-12. A verification letter will be sent to you under a separate email
to state this. We are authorized to say that you cannot operate the vessel until a certificate of documentation is issued. However, our office does not do the boarding and the verification letter states that your paperwork is pending."
I did some searching on the web and I ended up finding this note:
Coast Guard Documentation Information - MarineTitle.com
Can I operate my vessel while awaiting the certificate of documentation?
- If the vessel is used for recreational purposes only, you can operate it while waiting for your document to be issued. However this only applies if you are in compliance with any state level requirements for registration
of documented vessels. You can not engage in commercial
operations without a properly endorsed certificate of documentation on board the vessel. While operating without a document, you should keep copies of your application and any documents which serve as proof that you own the vessel.
I unfortunately couldn't find any "offical" details from the USCG site and from the email
they sent me I'm guessing that I'll be risking a fine. I've printed off my submitted forms, the verification letter, and the marinetitle.com quote but I'm not sure what else I can do besides hope that it arrives today or tomorrow. I've unfortunately got a lot of people with flights booked for this trip so I can't really call the whole thing off. The plan is to sail to Bimini
from Marathon, FL and then bring the boat back to Fort Lauderdale
What do you guys think?