Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2017, 07:37   #1

Visa Questions in the Carribean - St Martin

Hello,

We are purchasing a sailboat that is located in St. Martin (on the French side). We will eventually be sailing her back to Texas, but want to take advantage of her location to enjoy the island. We would like to fly down in November and begin the trek home in March. I know that we would have to get a visa to stay in St Martin for more than 90 days with our US passports, so is there a way to get around that? For example, how long would we have to leave before re-entry? Could we just sail to the Dutch side or Anguilla for a week or two and come back? If no one knows, what is the best way to find this information? The US consulate to France (there isn't one in St. Martin)? Any direction would be appreciated!
jcc1653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:41   #2

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc
Re: Visa Questions in the Carribean - St Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc1653 View Post
Hello,

We are purchasing a sailboat that is located in St. Martin (on the French side). We will eventually be sailing her back to Texas, but want to take advantage of her location to enjoy the island. We would like to fly down in November and begin the trek home in March. I know that we would have to get a visa to stay in St Martin for more than 90 days with our US passports, so is there a way to get around that? For example, how long would we have to leave before re-entry? Could we just sail to the Dutch side or Anguilla for a week or two and come back? If no one knows, what is the best way to find this information? The US consulate to France (there isn't one in St. Martin)? Any direction would be appreciated!
French St. Martin is very laid back about boaters. If you need to renew, sail out for a weekend, check back in when you get back. Come visit us in Anguilla for a couple of days.
Americans can work in Dutch St. Martin by treaty.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:25   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 57

masonc - can you elaborate on Americans working in Dutch St. Martin by treaty? Not even Schengen Europeans (including Dutch) can work on the Dutch side without paperwork so your assertion really surprised me, as the Americans working legally on the Dutch side mentioned getting permits.

But to the original question - clearing into and out of the French side is done at either the Capitainerie in Anse Marcel, at the (rip-off) Ferry dock in Marigot or for a nominal fee at Island Waterworld on the French side, and they only check your passport to see if the number matches that on the form; so there's really no enforcement there. I'd clear out and head to Saba, Anguilla, Statia or St. Kitts within the 90 days to be formally correct, just in case.

I don't think I could stay in St. Martin for 90 days without getting bored
Old 04-07-2017, 06:55   #4

OK, that is good to know. Another topic: internet. My husband's job and my son's high school is heavily internet based, allowing them to work remotely. Any good resources for internet cafes or businesses that they could utilize for daily internet? We have even considered finding a little business or private residence from which they could rent some space. The boat is in the Anse Marcel Marina.
jcc1653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:22   #5

Boat: Various

Quote:
OK, that is good to know. Another topic: internet. My husband's job and my son's high school is heavily internet based, allowing them to work remotely. Any good resources for internet cafes or businesses that they could utilize for daily internet? We have even considered finding a little business or private residence from which they could rent some space. The boat is in the Anse Marcel Marina.
The Marina has Wifi. Why wouldn't you just use it?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:21   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I never got good internet at Anse Marcel using my WiFi extender, but I think that my dutch-side MiFi dongle (pre-paid internet) worked well there but didn't get a good signal in Grand Case. You could get French-side internet access at Anse Marcel but I haven't looked at the current plans available. The marina at Anse Marcel is pretty well protected, which means that it is probably going to get rather warm without any wind so I hope that you are either acclimated or have A/C aboard.
The Super-U at Hope Estate is closed, so your bulk grocery shopping options are limited at Anse Marcel unless you have a car.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:31   #7

Boat: Outbound 46

On St. Martin, our favorite internet solution is to buy a pre-paid SIM card from Chippie and either a cellular dongle or a MiFi device. The dongle works if you only have one device at a time that needs internet connection, the MiFi can handle multiple devices.

By the way, if you venture to any of the ex-British islands, Digicel is very friendly about no roaming charges for data plans (or voice plans for that matter) between islands.

If you are going to be in the Caribbean for that long, it would be a real shame to limit yourselves to St. Martin. Guadeloupe is an easy overnight passage, and then you can visit LOTS of great places.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 14:23   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I don't think I could stay in St. Martin for 90 days without getting bored
Pigs bum.
If you ever learn to drink beer I am sure you could do SXM for 90 days if I was there 🍺🍻🥃🍷🥃🍻🍺🍻🥃
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 14:26   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

The Chippie rate changed a few months ago so I think Digicell is better value even though it's not LTE.
that's Dutch Side.

Drift between the 2 sides anytime. You'll love it.

While the transaction paperwork is going thru just use a photo copy of the old paperwork.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 19:12   #10

there are lots of boat service/parts outlets there, if you're buying a boat you "may" need some of this. of course it is now hurricane season. have fun!
briblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 19:26   #11

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
If no one knows, what is the best way to find this information? The US consulate to France (there isn't one in St. Martin)?
US consulates are irrelevant for what you need. You want a French consulate, ideally one located in your country of citizenship.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib, St Martin