Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2011, 19:07   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: Visa Issues in Schengen Countries

BTW Beware of Spain, contrary to what has been said above.

barnie
Canary Islands, Spain ...
__________________

__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 19:16   #32
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,203
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Visa Issues in Schengen Countries

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
BTW Beware of Spain, contrary to what has been said above.

barnie
Canary Islands, Spain ...
I would agree with that in the current climate...
revenue of any sort is being scavanged together at the moment..
peoples wages cut by 10%... at a minimum wage of 500euro/mth thats a slice that could hurt many/pensions same/schools subsidies revoked/services are being cut so hefty fines for 'luxury lifedtyle' transgressors is attractive.. also locals are gonna be a bit less sympathetic than in the past...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 20:48   #33
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Visa Issues in Schengen Countries

I did make the comment that the recession is changing things, just back from spain, things are very tight there now, all sorts of tax proposals and a talking point is to collect property taxes from all the non-residents ( who are actually residents but under the radar).

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 20:50   #34
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Visa Issues in Schengen Countries

Quote:
well as an aussie myself who has lived in london for past 17 yrs and sail the med from march to october every yr i have had no probs in greece italy fance and spain in obtaining a visa extension and my yacht has been based on the Island of Naxos greece
what visa extension would a person living in the EU for 17 years need, given that Aussies dont need tourist visas. Explain, cause Im bewildered.

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 17:14   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: Visa Issues in Schengen Countries

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post


Spain

(...)

hefty fines for 'luxury lifestyle' transgressors is attractive

(...)

also locals are gonna be a bit less sympathetic than in the past...

Yes. Spain is in trouble. Huge portion of people work in jobs paid by the govt. Huge numbers are unemployed, studying, on grants, etc.. So with economy down the way for the govt is to tax or to cut. Now taxing people paid by the govt (from taxes) is, well ... not efficient. So there are the cuts or new taxes that would tax the non-govt paid people and visitors. But Spanish govt cannot REPEAT cannot tax the visitors too harshly because huge areas of Spain are all about tourism and residents. Frighten the residents / tourists and in effect your govt income drops ...

No. Locals will NOT be any less sympathetic - because Spanish people are nice and easygoing at heart - they are nice no matter what and I am yet to meet a Spanish who would tell me anything rude because of my being a foreigner.

Even in my beloved Sweden I have been verbally abused by a drunk once. I liked that too, as knowing that I am a foreigner the drunk was swearing at me ... in English. How courteous!

Spanish people will remain the way they are - positive, smiling and super nice, even if things are not as easy now as they used to be last 20 years or so.

b.
__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 22:14   #36
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Quote:
No. Locals will NOT be any less sympathetic - because Spanish people are nice and easygoing at heart - they are nice no matter what and I am yet to meet a Spanish who would tell me anything rude because of my being a foreigner.
The locals are the same as ever. But the regional governments are cracking down hard. Reason is that they received a lot of taxes from building . Now that's stopped and they are looking at their tax base and potential revenue streams. This is especially true on the Costas like Valencia, Andalusia, Murcia etc

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 22:25   #37
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,203
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Visa Issues in Schengen Countries

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Yes. Spain is in trouble. Huge portion of people work in jobs paid by the govt. Huge numbers are unemployed, studying, on grants, etc.. So with economy down the way for the govt is to tax or to cut. Now taxing people paid by the govt (from taxes) is, well ... not efficient. So there are the cuts or new taxes that would tax the non-govt paid people and visitors. But Spanish govt cannot REPEAT cannot tax the visitors too harshly because huge areas of Spain are all about tourism and residents. Frighten the residents / tourists and in effect your govt income drops ...

No. Locals will NOT be any less sympathetic - because Spanish people are nice and easygoing at heart - they are nice no matter what and I am yet to meet a Spanish who would tell me anything rude because of my being a foreigner.

Even in my beloved Sweden I have been verbally abused by a drunk once. I liked that too, as knowing that I am a foreigner the drunk was swearing at me ... in English. How courteous!

Spanish people will remain the way they are - positive, smiling and super nice, even if things are not as easy now as they used to be last 20 years or so.

b.
Barnie... man I'm so sorry... I've been wondering for years about the poor buga I threatened to batter for saying excuse me ... may I get to the bar...
But come on.. you should know by now us 'Brits' are territorial.....
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 14:26   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: Visa Issues in Schengen Countries

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

But come on.. you should know by now us 'Brits' are territorial.....
Yeah, I still remember all the 'keep offs' on your lawns. ;-)))

Territorial or not, good people too. I have sailed Scotland and Ireland and everywhere there we were treated very well.

b.
__________________

__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
US Visa Wojo Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 7 16-09-2012 10:11
Countries battle Pirates hatteras Health, Safety & Related Gear 24 06-10-2008 19:52
Citizen of Two Countries Celestialsailor Other 6 13-02-2007 18:50
Entry Requirements for Many Countries and Islands Sonosailor Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 3 05-03-2004 12:30



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:41.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.