Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2018, 13:47   #1

VAT issues for Asia Pacific region

We plan on working someplace (very) nice in the West Pacific region, possibly Kiribati, Vanuatu, or one of a number of other similar places. Contract time is expected to be between 1 and 3 years. We are EU citizens and would live there on our nowhere-VAT-paid boat. And we plan on leaving on the same boat after contract ends.

Does anyone have information on whether we would have to officially import the boat at some stage and pay VAT, given that we stay for a longer time as temporary residents?

Any solid information or hearsay appreciated.
McHaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 16:34   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: VAT issues for Asia Pacific region

It depends on the country, but in most situations, you will need to either pay import duty (and maybe VAT/GST as well) or lodge a bond of the equivalent amount to stay longer than 6 months or a year. I'd plan on paying and if you end up somewhere where it is unnecessary, consider it a bonus.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 01:19   #3
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Vanuatu only attracts VAT, not duty for sailboats. Without importing the boat can have a stay of 18 months in a 24 month period with a letter from the director of customs (easy to obtain). You also have the option of importing the boat VAT free as part of your residency but this must be done within (I think) 6 months of the boat entering Vanuatu.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 12:55   #4

Thank you for this information. I will factor it in and see what happens.

I guess reclaiming the money upon leaving/exporting will not work, will it?

Would any of this be influenced if the boat were owned by a company rather then privately?

Thanks NoTies for the Vanuatu info.
If anyone has more detailed knowledge on specific countries in the region (like time to stay before VAT or duties kick in and also how high the actual rates are), it would be very appreciated by me and could serve others as a compendium, as well.
McHaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 13:11   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

Have you looked through the countries of interest on noonsite.com? For example under Customs for French Polynesia
Quote:
Note: The length of time a private yacht can now remain has been extended to 36 months. Nor is it necessary to remain out of the country for 6 months before returning.
Old 25-07-2018, 13:36   #6
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Have you looked through the countries of interest on noonsite.com? For example under Customs for French Polynesia
The problem is that if working then residency is generally required and in some countries the boat will need to be duty paid to qualify for residency (Fiji is one I definitely know about)
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 16:11   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by McHaba View Post
Thank you for this information. I will factor it in and see what happens.

I guess reclaiming the money upon leaving/exporting will not work, will it?

Would any of this be influenced if the boat were owned by a company rather then privately?

Thanks NoTies for the Vanuatu info.
If anyone has more detailed knowledge on specific countries in the region (like time to stay before VAT or duties kick in and also how high the actual rates are), it would be very appreciated by me and could serve others as a compendium, as well.

PNG - 12 months . Import duty 10%.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Asia