Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 12:44   #1

Boat: Picaroon - 40' Hardin Sea Wolf Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to heatherbrie
USDA Certified Veterinarian in Annapolis ?

Hi, all! We're planning to head down to the BVIs this November. Their pet import regulations require that we have a USDA approved vet fill out the paperwork for our two cats (and then have a USDA vet OK it, sheesh!). I've found the information for the USDA vet who will stamp the forms here in Annapolis, but can't seem to find a USDA-approved vet to conduct the examination. I can only imagine that plenty of other cruisers have had the same experience; can anyone recommend a local vet (and, preferably, a cheap one) who has USDA certification?
Old 03-10-2011, 12:57   #2

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts
Re: USDA Cerified Veterinarian in Annapolis?

I will do it for you. Zip on over to Tennessee. There should be plenty of us around in the DC too.
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 19:39   #3

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Try Dr. Mark Remick:

Area Office
Old 04-10-2011, 20:52   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

I've been through the BVI's a half dozen times with my cat(s) and have never been asked for anything from the officials during check-in/out. My felines never leave the boat.
- - However, there is a Vet in Salinas, P.R. that does do the USDA exam and fills out the USDA animal record if you want one. Dr. Héctor Martínez - Clínica Veterinaria de Salinas - Carr. #3 Km. 157.3 Salinas, PR 00751 - Tel: 824-8386
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:47   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

We had the same experience as Osirissail. None of the islands down here require the pet import certifications if the pet remains on the boat at all times. It was only when we moved ashore into a home on Nevis that we had to go through all that. So, unless you plan to actually move ashore and officially "import" your pet, don't worry about the paperwork.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:44   #6

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

However, the Bahamas is a different matter. It is highly advisable to get the Bahamas Animal permits before spending any time in the Bahamas on your way south. You can get the forms off the internet by visiting the website: Bahamas Ports of Entry - Bahamas Vacation Travel Guide by Bahamas-Travel.info
- - The link to the Application for Pet Import is dead, so use:
Pet Importation Documentation
- - Upon receiving your approved import permit, you should also receive a form (IMP/1(B)) for your veterinarian to confirm the age and health of your pet.
- - For entering the Bahamas with cats - the cat(s) has/have adequate levels of immunity conferred by being actively immunized against the following diseases: Feline Leukemia, Feline Rhinotracheitis, Feline Calicivirus, Feline Panleukopenia an Feline Pneumonitis.
- - You can do the Vet certificate thing when you get to your USA departure point for the Bahamas if it is going to be a long time between your leaving your home location and arrival to the Bahamas.
** Note: the "48 hours" reference often cited is referring to the time you have once you have arrived in the Bahamas - planning to live on land - to visit a Bahamas Vet to verify the health of the pet. Cruisers transiting the Bahamas can ignore this requirement.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:53   #7

Boat: Picaroon - 40' Hardin Sea Wolf Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to heatherbrie

Thank you so much for all the advice. It's great to know that most of the islands don't require the pet import certificates if you don't take the cats off the boat. We had planned to go to the Bahamas last year so went through all the rigamarole, but then didn't make it down that winter.

For the record, I found that the area office of the USDA will certify pet health certificates, form 7001, but that they need to be filled out by a USDA registered veterinarian. Of course, they won't tell you who they've certified, so you have to call around and ask if local vets are certified, and then double check the names with the USDA office. I also found that all the vets at the Annapolis Cat Hospital on Bay Ridge are certified, just in case anyone needs a certified vet.

But since I'm not planning to hit the Bahamas this year, I'll just have my old health certificate and rabies titers in hand, and not plan to take the cats of the boat.

Really appreciate all the advice!

Tags
annapolis