Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2013, 21:10   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: USCG to Implement Fee to Renew Documented Vessels

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
I don't think it's even a net revenue increase. Do you really think that the processing of your documents is going to cost the government less then 26$? Wouldn't be surprised if in the end it actually is a net cost to all involved.
NOT THE POINT

They are charged to do a job and provide a service. THey are NOT tax collectors nor are they - or any other agency empowered to frisk the citizens. If Congress wants to charge then Congress can pass a tax law. What part of "they are not constitutionally empowered" is too hard to understand? This is no different than TSA demanding another 20 per head to get on a plane.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 17:31   #47
CLOD

Boat: none

don't like it, don't pay

move, leave the country, we will survive go find your perfect place

what will you complain about then?
Old 22-04-2013, 17:56   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
don't like it, don't pay

move, leave the country, we will survive go find your perfect place

what will you complain about then?
One may get away with this in the Carib but to travel the planet, you must have proof of ownership and country recognition. The fact is, we had a contract. They are proposing to break it. They are not constitutionaally authorized to conjure up taxes to suit their percieved needs. If you all think this is OK then Mexico, Panama, Columbia, Saudi Arabia are world leaders and we are just followers. They can't even complain.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 18:00   #49
CLOD

Boat: none

no I mean it, if it is so bad and the gov't is so unfair ............... move/leave/get out

don't hide in other excuses that you use as "reasons"
Old 22-04-2013, 18:06   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Don,

My posted comment on the GOV site was that we should pay more for the first listing and have a user-friendly on-line renewal process. To ask for $26 each year to support an archaic paper form is crazy.

If one can renew a D/L, car registration, boat registration- heck in FL you can renew the LLC's filings on-line, why should we pay to continue a paper system?
Just take your boat out of documentation if you don't like it! In FL you technically have to pay state rego anyway, so why have both. A future buyer of your boat can easily redocument if they want.
Old 22-04-2013, 18:11   #51

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
I first read the e-mail and thought it was a CF prank. But the knuckleheads really want to charge $26 a year to renew the docs for a documented vessel.

It isn't the money, although this will deprive me of 1-2 doubles a year, but the principle of it. Renewal of the docs is the only renewal you cannot do on-line. They still want !@#$@! paper! So why should we pay for their refusal to join the 21st century?

Okay rant over- please go to Regulations.gov and post a comment.

Bill
Ive owned a number of USCG documented vessels and to my recollection there has always been a renewal fee. Certainly in some years past if not all.

Also, yes you can renew online. Done it many times. Just received my most recent renewal docs ...done online at the NVDC site.

So whats this really about?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 18:17   #52
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

So a $26 fee now equals all american being stripped of their rights? Again, just drop the documentation or sell the boat. Problem solved.

And to those that suggest it be privatized? Sure it will only cost the company $5 to run the forms online thru Bangalore, but they will certainly jack the price up way over $26. these are "rich" yacht owners right? And they need to keep that flag of convenience status current on the shareholders mega yachts.
Old 22-04-2013, 19:11   #53

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Ive owned a number of USCG documented vessels and to my recollection there has always been a renewal fee. Certainly in some years past if not all.

Also, yes you can renew online. Done it many times. Just received my most recent renewal docs ...done online at the NVDC site.

So whats this really about?
I have owned several USCG documented vessels too. There is an initial fee to document the vessel. After that yearly renewal is at no charge except for the postage stamp to mail the form to the USCG. Unless you don't renew in the specified time in which case I think there is a $5USD fee. See their FAQ here:

Renewal FAQ
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 19:28   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post

Just take your boat out of documentation if you don't like it! In FL you technically have to pay state rego anyway, so why have both. A future buyer of your boat can easily redocument if they want.
Ok.... I think you may want to cut back on the caffeine.

You know nothing about me- yet you post something rather arrogant and condescending.

But it is always refreshing to hear that someone feels that filing out forms is the epitome of efficiency....

I trust you can accept this differing opinion. After all that is the beauty of this country.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 19:32   #55

You're getting alot of entertainment value for a $26 registration renewal fee, if this thread is any barometer...

Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 19:42   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post

I have owned several USCG documented vessels too. There is an initial fee to document the vessel. After that yearly renewal is at no charge except for the postage stamp to mail the form to the USCG. Unless you don't renew in the specified time in which case I think there is a $5USD fee. See their FAQ here:

Renewal FAQ
Yes, may have been thinking of the late fee...always seems to be the case.
Old 22-04-2013, 19:51   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
You're getting alot of entertainment value for a $26 registration renewal fee, if this thread is any barometer...

Given that the NVDC already charges fees for most other services...I dont think most of the over-the-top reactions to this really have much to do w the new fee...but the entertainment value is high.
Old 22-04-2013, 22:08   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My philosophical side is inclined to prefer a combination of user-fees and general fund taxation, based on personal benefit and societal benefit. My realistic side knows that we will probably get the worst of both options. My pragmatic side is generally happy enough with the result to not want to start a revolution. The USA is still a great place to live.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over the $26 documentation renewal fee (I've been surprised that it was free). I do agree that the procedure could be more convenient.

Having just moved from California to Washington State, I've had an opportunity to compare the two taxation systems. VALIS is a federally documented boat.

California: Since we're documented, there is no registration required. I did pay a property tax. The actual rate depends slightly on where the boat is located, but it ends up being about 1.1% annually. This was a big expense for me.

Washington: I have to register the boat. Since it is documented I don't have to show the registration number on the hull, but I do need to display the tag. The registration fee is about $25 annually. There is also an annual excise tax (in lieu of property tax), collected at registration / renewal. The tax rate is 0.5%, so compared to California, Washington state is a bargain.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 22:54   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahLee View Post
State registration is 2 years in MD and had been $35. They still charge $10 for 2 years with Doc. Just do away with Doc. If you want a comparision check the registration on aircraft. One time fee about 25 and no state fees. No sales tax as no state registration and cost of aircraft is $1 AOC. Was on a DC 10 and saw their pink slip Chase Manhatten Bank had purchased it cost $1 AOC. Private aircraft land and take off using many airfields and controllers with no charge and airports maintained and build with Fed money.
The issue here is user fees. General aircraft (GA) does pay their "fair share" through fuel taxes and surcharges and other fees such as registration.

For about 9 months I had an aircraft based in Los Angeles County. Talk about being taxed into oblivion! There certainly is a state tax on aircraft.

For two yr reg. on my truck in Arizona, the fee is $32 which I can complete online.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 23:29   #60

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

It has always cost me more than $25 to get my new certificate sent to me each year when I am out of the country--I have to work my whole schedule around the damn thing. I would happily pay $26 for renewal if the certificate was good for 5 years.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote