Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2013, 06:24   #16

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version
To the folks that have an issue with the $26.. Just wait, it'll go up. Every fee does!
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 06:31   #17

Boat: Carter offshore 35
Re: USCG to Implement Fee to Renew Documented Vessels

State registration is 2 years in MD and had been $35. They still charge $10 for 2 years with Doc. Just do away with Doc. If you want a comparision check the registration on aircraft. One time fee about 25 and no state fees. No sales tax as no state registration and cost of aircraft is $1 AOC. Was on a DC 10 and saw their pink slip Chase Manhatten Bank had purchased it cost $1 AOC. Private aircraft land and take off using many airfields and controllers with no charge and airports maintained and build with Fed money.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 06:37   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Call it what it is - TAX. Are you also willing to start paying for NOAA charts? How about your EPIRB? How about for assistance from the SS administration? Think twice before calling the cops the next time you are broken into - might get a bill. Maybe they should charge you an IRS handling fee for processing your taxes - a 'tax-tax'. Everyone knows they have some of the oldest junky computers. Maybe a service fee every time homeland security boards you; perhaps an immigration check-in fee. There are no ends. This is a standard government method of raising revenue when other methods fail; target taxes on small groups too insignificant to mount any defense. Nobody else will lift a finger because it doesn't effect them (this time) and obviously, fat-cat yacht owners can afford it. If it sticks, how much do you suppose it will be next year? Who decided 26? What other fees do you suppose they can invent? If every agency figures they can do this, we will be just another third world dictatorship choking citizens on red tape and robbing them at will. These agencies were created to accomplish a task, they have budgets. They were not created to be cash generators for a broke and dis-functional government. Remember the E-Mails that surfaced in the wake of sequestration directing underlings within various agencies to make the implementation as painful as possible to the public.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 06:43   #19

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
Here we go again, same debate that always breaks out with rescues. We have already paid for these services with taxes, this is just a net revenue increase. In other words all taxpayers pay once, documented boat owners pay twice.

Also drives me nuts when these are called user fees. If that were really the case, then these fees would be used in lieu of other base tax money. Funny how it never works that way.

This one is particularly annoying to me, because last year the state of South Dakota changed its boat registrations from two years to one year. More hassle and cost for me, more money for them. When boat owners objected we were told that the department had to defray the expense of the more frequent registration process somehow. Well of course, when you arbitrarily create government processing tasks (like renewals) then you need government employees to do it.

Individually the fee increases are seldom big enough to get worked up about them - like one of the comments here already. Cumulatively however, its turns into a significant bite far beyond a couple drinks.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 06:53   #20

Boat: Allures 44

Quote:
If you want a comparision check the registration on aircraft. One time fee about 25 and no state fees. No sales tax as no state registration and cost of aircraft is $1 AOC.
For you, maybe. Most aircraft owners pay for state registration, sales/use tax, local property taxes, federal and state fuel taxes, and state or municipal assessments on hangars and tie-downs. Some states even require and charge for pilots to register their federal license with the state. And most owners are not going to get away with reporting a sales price of 1$ to the state revenue commissioner. Airlines are different - they operate their aircraft on long-term leases from big banks.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 06:57   #21

Boat: Outbound 44

I really don't care if you call it a tax or a user fee. I also don't expect non-users in Iowa to pay for my boat registration. So I don't have a problem with the new fee. What I would like to see is a 2 or 3 year renewal period.

Either way, you should post your comments on the gov website at
http://www.regulations.gov/#!docketD...USCG-2010-0990
Old 20-04-2013, 07:18   #22

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I really don't care if you call it a tax or a user fee. I also don't expect non-users in Iowa to pay for my boat registration. So I don't have a problem with the new fee. What I would like to see is a 2 or 3 year renewal period.
But that's my point - both you and the land-locked guy in Iowa still pays, and then you pay again. Think his taxes will go down by $26 next year because you paid more for your own doc renewal?
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 07:27   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
But that's my point - both you and the land-locked guy in Iowa still pays, and then you pay again. Think his taxes will go down by $26 next year because you paid more for your own doc renewal?
Don't think they'll go down in Iowa. Probably shouldn't when we have crumbling infrastrucrure and large deficits. But that's another discussion a long way from USCG annual documentation.
Old 20-04-2013, 08:14   #24

A side note, when I renewed our USCG vessel documentation, I scanned the paper form and emailed to them. Still a paper form, but saved the time/postage - and - was confirmed processed immediately. Still archaic, but worked for me!
Capt.Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 08:18   #25

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

So, dont pay it!
What's the point of documentation anyway? What good does it do you?
I just got mine renewed - no cost - yet - maybe the bill is in the mail. If it is, then to hell with them!
Why should I pay the state and the CG?
When will it ever end??????
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 08:23   #26

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
A side note, when I renewed our USCG vessel documentation, I scanned the paper form and emailed to them.
Didn't know that was an option. I'm looking at the renewal form in front of me and it says you can fax or mail the completed form, but it doesn't say anything about email. Have you received the new document back? Of course email won't work when you have to pay a fee, and if they are like many other government agencies the only acceptable form of payment may be check or money order. I'm hoping they come up with a credit card and/or automatic renewal and payment option.

Quote:
You need it to enter many countries in the world. Some do not recognize state registrations.
Old 20-04-2013, 08:23   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
So, dont pay it!
I just got mine renewed - no cost - yet - maybe the bill is in the mail. If it is, then to hell with them!
Why should I pay the state and the CG?
When will it ever end??????
Sure, if you don't want the benefits from documenting your boat, then take it out of documentation. If you cruise internationally, then the benefits way over come any small fee.
Old 20-04-2013, 08:27   #28

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Sure, if you don't want the benefits from documenting your boat, then take it out of documentation. If you cruise internationally, then the benefits way over come any small fee.
What benefits???
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 08:30   #29

Boat: Skookum 53'

If you will recall, NOAA charts used to cost only $3.00 per chart, the last ones I bought were $20.00, and they did that in one big jump. Render unto Caesar.
Old 20-04-2013, 08:37   #30

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

I've been thinking 5yrs would be nice too for travelers. Or better yet, good for the term of ownership of the vessel.

I've been hearing in the military for many years that we're going paperless. The idea, I think, was to have everything go to digital signatures and be able to email things back and forth. Still have yet to see it. We may have digital signatures but still have to print out various forms, cover sheets, and supporting documents to submit anything to different offices and probably use just as much paper as before. Now with the budget cuts, we're getting less supplies and still having to use just as much.

If they are proposing a fee due to the costs involved, they could cut costs just by not having to print up so many documents each year. It could be spaced out every 5, 10, or more years and that alone could save spending. This can also save cruisers from many headaches of trying to get a new document if they are overseas each year.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote