Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2013, 04:51   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
USCG to Implement Fee to Renew Documented Vessels

I first read the e-mail and thought it was a CF prank. But the knuckleheads really want to charge $26 a year to renew the docs for a documented vessel.

It isn't the money, although this will deprive me of 1-2 doubles a year, but the principle of it. Renewal of the docs is the only renewal you cannot do on-line. They still want !@#$@! paper! So why should we pay for their refusal to join the 21st century?

Okay rant over- please go to Regulations.gov and post a comment.

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 05:00   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: USCG to Implement Fee to Renew Documented Vessels

I actually got the same email. But I think it is reasonable to charge for doing the renewal. Why should non boater taxpayers be paying for free document service for us?

My hope would be that if they start charging that the renewal is good for more than 1 year.
Old 20-04-2013, 05:00   #3

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Pretty modest fee actually, but the one issue I see is it will add a layer of difficulty for those out cruising in some part of the world without good communications. Even better would be automatic renewals each year charging your credit card or PayPal account.
Old 20-04-2013, 05:03   #4
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Thats good info-, Thanks for the post-The money does matter when it $26 here , there & every where you turn, it adds up- and how will many pay it while crusing?
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 05:24   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
I actually got the same email. But I think it is reasonable to charge for doing the renewal. Why should non boater taxpayers be paying for free document service for us?

My hope would be that if they start charging that the renewal is good for more than 1 year.
Don,

My posted comment on the GOV site was that we should pay more for the first listing and have a user-friendly on-line renewal process. To ask for $26 each year to support an archaic paper form is crazy.

If one can renew a D/L, car registration, boat registration- heck in FL you can renew the LLC's filings on-line, why should we pay to continue a paper system?
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 05:29   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Don,

My posted comment on the GOV site was that we should pay more for the first listing and have a user-friendly on-line renewal process. To ask for $26 each year to support an archaic paper form is crazy.

If one can renew a D/L, car registration, boat registration- heck in FL you can renew the LLC's filings on-line, why should we pay to continue a paper system?
I have no problems with this. Maybe I will post a similar comment.

It is pretty out of date that boat documention is good for 1 year, but my passport is 10/15 (can not even remember).
Old 20-04-2013, 05:35   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

passsport is 10 yrs.
boat doc is 1 yr.
cdl is 5 yrs....thank gods i dont have to renew that again,....

would be nice if they would make the online site user friendly....and online renewal possible...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 05:43   #8

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

My issue is we already paid a large fee to initially document the vessel, which is supposed to be high to cover renewal.

Second, I understand the need to have one year renewls for commercial vessels, but why can't they make a five year vessel documentation for non-commercial vessels, under 65 feet?

And finally, as mentioned before the USCG needs to simplify the process of renewal for non-commercial vessels and do it on line, instead of signature cards. This is a hastle for people cruising outside the US.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 05:50   #9

Boat: Carter offshore 35

I have a problem with the $26 when the cruise lines registered in other countries and pay an average of 0.6% in taxes and cost the Coast Guard over $750,000 in towing and support and tell us to call Tow Boat. They are just finding a way to recoup their losses.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 05:54   #10

Boat: Skookum 53'

I would really like a 5 year renewal, instead of the annual thing, I keep forgetting and they charge me a good bit for renewing an out of date documentation.
Old 20-04-2013, 06:03   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahLee View Post
I have a problem with the $26 when the cruise lines registered in other countries and pay an average of 0.6% in taxes and cost the Coast Guard over $750,000 in towing and support and tell us to call Tow Boat. They are just finding a way to recoup their losses.
That's not what happened.

Carnival paid their towing charge. Why should they pay the Coast Guard for "monitoring the situation"?
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 06:06   #12

Maybe they'll use the renewal fees to bring their record keeping and registration systems into the 21st century.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 06:08   #13
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
I first read the e-mail and thought it was a CF prank. But the knuckleheads really want to charge $26 a year to renew the docs for a documented vessel.

It isn't the money, although this will deprive me of 1-2 doubles a year, but the principle of it. Renewal of the docs is the only renewal you cannot do on-line. They still want !@#$@! paper! So why should we pay for their refusal to join the 21st century?

Okay rant over- please go to Regulations.gov and post a comment.

Bill

Problem is so many govt agencies have such old computer equipment that they're struggling to move into the 21st century. It is ridiculous, but beaurocracies avoid changes that might make things efficient enough to cut jobs.

I'm amazed you didn't have to pay until now. Last year it was $86 I think to register my boat. Next time it's classified as "antique" and will be under $6.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 06:12   #14

Boat: Skookum 53'

How much does anyone pay for vehicle registration? Costs me about $130 for two years.
Old 20-04-2013, 06:23   #15

Boat: Finnsailer 38

In NY car registration depends on the weight of the vehicle, but I pay $59 for two years on a pretty heavy car. My motorcycle is $17.50 per year, and has to be renewed every year.