Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2013, 08:39   #31

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: USCG to Implement Fee to Renew Documented Vessels

Quote:
What benefits???
There are lots of threads on cruising the world without documentation. Here's one. If you never leave the USA, Canada, and the Bahamas, you are good to go with just state registration. Not sure about Mexico.
Old 20-04-2013, 08:56   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Didn't know that was an option. I'm looking at the renewal form in front of me and it says you can fax or mail the completed form, but it doesn't say anything about email. Have you received the new document back? Of course email won't work when you have to pay a fee, and if they are like many other government agencies the only acceptable form of payment may be check or money order. I'm hoping they come up with a credit card and/or automatic renewal and payment option.

You need it to enter many countries in the world. Some do not recognize state registrations.
Yes - in fact, in my email I asked if this was an acceptable way to submit, the CG replied immediately, yes, and that it had been processed. A week or so later I received the new document.

My problem with our government taking credit cards, is there's usually an outrageous processing fee. You end up paying by check anyway. The IRS now takes our taxes directly from our checking account.......
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 09:11   #33

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Yes - in fact, in my email I asked if this was an acceptable way to submit, the CG replied immediately, yes, and that it had been processed. A week or so later I received the new document.
Thanks. I emailed the documentation office several notes in December with a question and I never received any sort of response.
Old 20-04-2013, 09:59   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
If you will recall, NOAA charts used to cost only $3.00 per chart, the last ones I bought were $20.00, and they did that in one big jump. Render unto Caesar.
I believe NOAA charts are free...
you can print them out yourself or have an electronic version.

If you want to pay to a THIRD PARTY to print, in a waterproof they will charge what they wish.

I believe the $20 charge you are referring to is a 3'rd party charge.
EzzyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 10:05   #35

IMO this an excessive annual fee after having paid the big bucks to document the boat. When the only thing the government is asking annually if you are still the owner of the boat.

Do you own a federally documented vessel? The U.S. Coast Guard is proposing to charge an annual fee of $26.00 for the renewal of certificates of documentation for recreational boats. While the Coast Guard charges to issue new certificates of documentation for boats, currently there is no charge for annual renewal.
This fee will only apply if your boat is federally documented and would be in addition to any state registration fees. For current information on federal vessel documentation, visit the United States Coast Guard Documentation Center.
We encourage you to share your thoughts with the Coast Guard on this proposal before May 3rd, 2013, by going to Regulations.gov
Please forward this email to fellow boaters with documented vessels. If you have any additional questions, please contact BoatU.S. Government Affairs at GovtAffairs@BoatUS.com.
Thank you for being a BoatU.S. member!
Margaret Podlich
President, BoatU.S.
GovtAffairs@BoatUS.com
703-461-2878 x8363
BoatUS.com/Gov
Forward this email to a friend
For an update on this and other government affairs topics please visit BoatUS.com/gov.
Old 20-04-2013, 10:10   #36
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Annual fee=Tax.

Dave
Old 20-04-2013, 11:31   #37
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
How much does anyone pay for vehicle registration? Costs me about $130 for two years.
Over here it is now nil - the annual renewal and fee got abolished 15 years back, the revenue lost was slapped on the fuel tax (which already had a collection process - it's effectively where our healthcare comes from ) - the idea being to save on paperwork and civil servants (whether that led to a drop in head count I don't know - I suspect not!).

In regard to Boats, the UK has 5 year reg - we have 10 . I would have thought US better off by going for 5 years and upping the fees accordingly to pay in advance - plus adding to the fee for a re-reg upon sale. For enforcement could even make it a crime not to update the details (home address / sale) - punishable by death? , or at least a scale of fines / fees for late notifications.......USCG could then use less pen pushers and maybe even make a profit on the boat reg (same as the flag of conveniance countries do)............Lol, dream on .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 12:24   #38

Boat: Carter offshore 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfarrar View Post
For you, maybe. Most aircraft owners pay for state registration, sales/use tax, local property taxes, federal and state fuel taxes, and state or municipal assessments on hangars and tie-downs. Some states even require and charge for pilots to register their federal license with the state. And most owners are not going to get away with reporting a sales price of 1$ to the state revenue commissioner. Airlines are different - they operate their aircraft on long-term leases from big banks.
I'm glad I'm not in your state. I don't pay anything for my pilots license only the doctor every 2 years for my medical, and the CFI for an hour of dual time for my bi annual and the cost of my 3 airplanes was $3 and since they are only registered federally in Oaklahoma city no sales tax and no state registration fees either. Now my boat on the other hand seems never ending they even want a user tax equal to the sales tax as I pass through their state. I have to keep receipts to prove to them I was there less than 30 or 90 days depending on which state.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 12:37   #39

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

To post a comment on the proposed USCG documentation renewal fee - here is a better link:
Regulations.gov

Since the IRS and the FCC and other agencies already have internet "on-line" processing and filing systems - the National Vessel Documentation Center should be able to set up a similar system with minimal difficulty. Being able to get a "PDF" downloaded new "Documentation" would be especially helpful for international cruisers who now have to sweat out getting the new document mailed to them via international "snail mail."

"On Monday the Coast Guard issued a notice of proposed rulemaking (NPRM) to amend its regulations to separately list an annual fee for renewals of endorsements upon the Certificate of Documentation.
The proposed rule would assess a fee of $26 for the annual renewal of endorsements on a vessel’s Certificate of Documentation. Currently there is no charge for the annual renewal. The Coast Guard says the proposed fee would help to cover administrative costs relating to the documentation service, generating an estimated $6.1 million annually.
The deadline for comments is May 3, 2013. Details of this proposal and comment submissions may be done on the Federal Register’s site. When submitting a comment is sure to include the docket number for this rule: USCG-2010-0990."
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 13:09   #40

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

The whole idea of annual documentation renewal is a bit absurd IMNSHO. The documentation certificate is the federal equivalent of a state issued title. No state that I am aware of requires you to update your title every year. Being a Florida resident I must pay an annual registration fee for my sticker. My dinghy is "titled" in Florida and while I have to pay an annual registration fee, I don't have to renew the title. I just hope there are no Florida legislators on the forum because if they realize they can charge an annual titling fee as well as a registration fee we'll soon have one.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 18:45   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I really don't care if you call it a tax or a user fee. I also don't expect non-users in Iowa to pay for my boat registration. So I don't have a problem with the new fee. What I would like to see is a 2 or 3 year renewal period.

Either way, you should post your comments on the gov website at
Regulations.gov
First, remember that we paid a substantial sum to document and that there was no future fee involved. We were not held at gunpoint when we agreed under this program to volunteer our vessels and ourselves in time of need. We are now, however, about to be forced to pay for the annual signing of a declaration "nothing changed in the last 365 days". I will bet money that there is not a single Representative or Senator who knows that the CG and probably many other fine agencies are about to become cashiers and arms of unregulated taxing authority.

I suppose then that you don't expect granny's taxes to pay for the federal roads. This is a slipery slope where Fed agencies told to do stuff decide that in addition to their Federal charter and stipends, they can, at will, charge whatever they want to provide the service they were created to do. We have rule of law in this country. This differentiates us from 3rd world countires where the agencies on down to individual employees can charge anything they want this week, year, to do what they are already supposed to do. Do you get to deduct or otherwise claim this new tax? BTW, Who, constitutionallly is enabled to levy taxes? clue - it isn't the CG. How about a special fee for your child to enter any school that accepts federal aid? How about a new USDOT tax on the highways? Granny in the retirement home pays since her jello was delivered by road. We all pay IRS and other legal taxes. Congress decides who gets what. When funds are cut; when we say we have had enough; when we say get efficient and make due as the rest of us have had to do, it doesn't mean use your Federal gun and rob the constituents. What other control of the purse do the citizens have than to choke off the bleeding? It is simply not a consideration that the goverment does an end run around the people and holds a gun in their backs. Please remember that our forefathers fought a revolution on these principles.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 19:10   #42

Boat: 2007 Hunter 41
Like most you I received the same email and quickly posted a comment. I have no issue with the $26 annual fee if the automate the process with on line renewal and payment. Also, consider multi year renewal rather than annual. My two cents -
sv-Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 20:16   #43

Quote:
How much does anyone pay for vehicle registration? Costs me about $130 for two years.

$1000 per year for a V8 ute in gods own hell of a state..Queensland.

$500 for the yacht, per year
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 20:27   #44

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Here we go again, same debate that always breaks out with rescues. We have already paid for these services with taxes, this is just a net revenue increase. In other words all taxpayers pay once, documented boat owners pay twice.
I don't think it's even a net revenue increase. Do you really think that the processing of your documents is going to cost the government less then 26$? Wouldn't be surprised if in the end it actually is a net cost to all involved.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 20:49   #45

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
So, dont pay it!
What's the point of documentation anyway? What good does it do you?
I just got mine renewed - no cost - yet - maybe the bill is in the mail. If it is, then to hell with them!
Why should I pay the state and the CG?
When will it ever end??????
If it's a USER FEE, tell 'em you've decided not to use it !

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote