Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-08-2014, 11:04   #16

Re: USCG Requirements For Foreign Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
ON another thread, it drifted a bit and I was asking if Spinlock lifevest are OK by USCG. This then spawned some more tidbits, so I thought a thread devoted to this issue would serve a useful purpose for those nonamerican boats that will venture into US waters (we'll be going up the uS coast and down the ICW in 2017-2108)

Can anyone give a list of specifics of equipment on board that the USCG requires must have USCG approval - even if the boat is floreign flagged and only visiting?

A partial list (don't know it this is true) include:

PFDs
US Inland navigational rules
International navigation rules (danish language OK?)
fire extinguishers (CE marked and current - do they need USCG?)
Waste disposal diagram (OK for it to be posted in the log or does it have to be posted in the galley?)

Anything else?

Our boat is a 40 footer. We are both Yachtmaster Ocean and I'm in the processs of getting my commercial Captain's ticket, so we shouldn't have any qualifications issues. We both also have Cevini tickets for canal sailing, and LRC for MF and HF radios
Here is a copy of the requirements.

http://www.uscgboating.org/assets/1/...ations/420.PDF

Note that both PFDs, and fire extinguishers, must be USCG-approved. You MIGHT get cut some slack, or you might get a ticket. Or even confined to port until you buy approved safety equipment, as happened to one poster on Sailnet.

But to be clear, with CE-approved-only gear you are not in compliance with US law.

For PFDs, I suggest going to West Marine and buying the 4-pack of runabout lifejackets, which is frequently on sale for $69.95, or less on the interweb :

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...ls.cgi?i=14691

Old 13-08-2014, 11:05   #17

I know of a foreign flagged vessel that was boarded by the coasties. The boat is VERY well equipped with safety gear but some was not USCG approved. The Coast Guard told him he needed to get approved gear on the boat but that is all they did. Pretty sure his PFD's and fire extinguishers were NOT USCG approved. I was on the boat recently and I noticed.

Flip side of safety inspections. Many boats are running around with little to no equipment at all. If they have equipment, it is often expired or useless from damage. While the equipment SHOULD be USCG approved since that is the law, the officers I have encountered would use discretion if they saw a boat that had all required safety gear in good condition irregardless of USCG approval. They would/should note the lack of USCG approved gear though.

Later,
Dan

Old 13-08-2014, 11:07   #18

"so we shouldn't have any qualifications issues"

There are no, as in none whatsoever, qualification requirements to operate a boat in the US, apart from some states require a boater education card, which is a brief online test.
Old 13-08-2014, 11:09   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
I know of a foreign flagged vessel that was boarded by the coasties. The boat is VERY well equipped with safety gear but some was not USCG approved. The Coast Guard told him he needed to get approved gear on the boat but that is all they did. Pretty sure his PFD's and fire extinguishers were NOT USCG approved. I was on the boat recently and I noticed.

Flip side of safety inspections. Many boats are running around with little to no equipment at all. If they have equipment, it is often expired or useless from damage. While the equipment SHOULD be USCG approved since that is the law, the officers I have encountered would use discretion if they saw a boat that had all required safety gear in good condition irregardless of USCG approval. They would/should note the lack of USCG approved gear though.

Later,
Dan
Agreed, but for $59.95 you could no longer be depending on discretion. Plus maybe the same again for a couple of fire extinguishers.
Old 13-08-2014, 12:07   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Agreed, but for $59.95 you could no longer be depending on discretion. Plus maybe the same again for a couple of fire extinguishers.
Yeppers, except for the issue of storage, having a few more PFDs on board is not a bad idea. One might need them one day to help out another boat in distress.

Same with fire extinguishers. The USCG does not require that many fire extinguishers and I plan on carrying more than the requirement. I already have a couple in the house and one in the truck.

Later,
Dan
Old 13-08-2014, 12:25   #21

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
A number? Our dinghy has its own name (Scotty) and shows T/T Capri (tender to Capri) and flies the Danish flag - so it is in itself a foreign flagged vessel
Now you made me think an absurd but probably effective way to deal with the Florida dinghy nonsense. I could get a separate Part III aka SSR British registration for the dinghy with its own name, which is cheap and does not require tonnage certificate or bills of sale, etc. Then I would let me Admiral clear into the US on the mothership while I do the same with the dinghy and get two separate cruising licenses.. That would be fun!

Does anyone know if there is any fatal flaw on this plan?

Thanks in advance.

C
Old 13-08-2014, 14:53   #22
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
. Then I would let me Admiral clear into the US on the mothership while I do the same with the dinghy and get two separate cruising licenses.. That would be fun!

Does anyone know if there is any fatal flaw on this plan?

The fatal flaw is when you lift the dinghy on your boats davits you would then be a Cargo Ship carrying a Ship. Which is fine but to leave the marina you have to hire a Pilot and 3 tugs.

And display the following lights: Red above White above Green above Double White above Red and White...

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 15:37   #23
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M

Fill the dink with water and call it a hot tub?
Old 13-08-2014, 18:58   #24
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I presume the USCG apply the rules of comity on the territorial seas of the US. Is t it only when you enter the inland navigations , like the ICW that the rules apply.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 19-08-2014, 05:46   #25

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

SWMBO and I got stopped by the law in Greenport NY. The officer could not understand the idea that our dinghy was part of the mothership's equipment and as such didn't have a separate registration.

"Where is the indication that it belongs to your boat?" he asked. "It's written underneath so we don't advertise the fact our boat is unattended."

"You must have Federal or State registration to use a craft in NY waters". "As we are transient aliens (without pointy heads) we are not allowed to own a US registered vessel".

"Are you arguing with me?" he said. "No sir, I never argue with someone who's got a gun."

We were then threatened with a big sheaf of tickets, SWMBO spotted that they could not be filled out as our UK postcode would not fit in the required spaces.

We agreed to put the cruising licence number and tape it to the thwart.

Tags
men

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: