Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2009, 17:19   #1
Marine Service Provider

USCG License - Days-on-the-Water Requirements

What exactly defines a day on the water? I'm seeing a lot of mixed information on this.

From what I understand, it needs to be at least 4 hours with the vessel under way.

Do I need to be the one in command of the vessel the entire time? If not, how much of that time I need to be the one behind the wheel?

Also, I saw one place where you can't claim more than a day in any 24 hour period, but then another place that said 12+ hours can be claimed as 1-1/2 days?
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 21:55   #2

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
What exactly defines a day on the water? I'm seeing a lot of mixed information on this.
4 hours underway.

Quote:
From what I understand, it needs to be at least 4 hours with the vessel under way.

Do I need to be the one in command of the vessel the entire time? If not, how much of that time I need to be the one behind the wheel?
Zero. You must be underway, as a member of the crew. If you are a passenger your time does not count.

Quote:
Also, I saw one place where you can't claim more than a day in any 24 hour period, but then another place that said 12+ hours can be claimed as 1-1/2 days?
Two years ago, each regional exam center processed their own applications. The rules were interpreted slightly differently by each. Some areas would grant you 2 days if you worked 2 separate 4 hour charters.... I understand that is what they did in SC anyway.

To standardize the processing, all applications have been sent to a central facility (The National Maritime Center) for about the last 2 years. So if you turn your application in in Baltimore (as I had) you got the same rules applied as someone who turned theirs in in New Orleans (where I should have turned mine in).

This is a link to the NMC. USCG National Maritime Center

Anywhere else you get your information, unless updated in the last little bit.. is going to be wrong. The rules have not changed, but the way they are interpreted will be different in some cases.

Good luck.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 07:54   #3
Marine Service Provider

I talked to someone from one of the schools at the Annapolis show, and finally got a real answer. Recreational boaters can only count 1 day every 24 hours. Commercial can count 1.5 days for every 12 hours.

For example:
A guy working on a commercial fishing boat working 12+ hour shifts can count each shift as a 1.5 days.

BUT
You sail your boat offshore from FL to NJ, running 24/7 and taking watches, each day only counts as 1.
Old 13-10-2009, 08:05   #4

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Quote:
...I talked to someone from one of the schools at the Annapolis show, and finally got a real answer....
Yes, I believe that is the right answer, at least 4 hours underway and no more then 1 day in 24 hours.

However you are much better served by going to the source;

Quote:
This is a link to the NMC. USCG National Maritime Center

Anywhere else you get your information, unless updated in the last little bit.. is going to be wrong.
Here is the contact number listed in that site;

NMC Customer Service Center: 1-888-IASKNMC (1-888-427-5662)

Sometimes it really is best to go to the source.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 09:00   #5
Marine Service Provider

And, as it turns out...that isn't entirely true. The type of vessel, but not necessarily recreational vs. commercial determine what you can claim in any 24 hour period. Of course they couldn't give me a straight answer on what the real determining factors are.

So, in short, if you have less than the required days, but a lot of long days on the water, you can claim them all as 1.5 days, and hope for the best. Worst case, you need to get out a little more...and I'll bet pay the application fee again.

Tags
license