Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2019, 20:52   #1

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA
USCG Documentation Now Offers 2-5 Years

Finally this happen, not sure if there has already been a post about it. But it definitely makes it easier when one is out of the States. Now, I let's see about how to get one sent to Indonesia.

-----------------------
Beginning January 1, 2019, recreational Certificate of Documentation (COD) holders may elect to extend the expiration date of renewed CODs for an additional 2-5 years during the implementation period designated as January 1, 2019-December 31, 2021.*

Beginning January 1, 2022, recreational CODs will be issued for a validity period of 5 years.

Commercial vessel owners are not eligible for multi-year documents and must continue to
follow the current process for requesting/renewing one-year CODs at a cost of $26.00.

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/D...-28-130935-400

austin
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 00:44   #2

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada
Re: USCG Documentation Now Offers 2-5 Years

Thanks for posting this. In January I renewed our documentation for five years and it is a real convenience for me. The document was mailed to our son in Texas who scanned both sides and emailed it to us. With our printer I can make a copy that easily passes as the original when required.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 02:51   #3

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
Thanks for posting this. In January I renewed our documentation for five years and it is a real convenience for me. The document was mailed to our son in Texas who scanned both sides and emailed it to us. With our printer I can make a copy that easily passes as the original when required.

Cheers!

Steve
Thanks for the confirmation, I was thinking about that. When I spoke to someone last year about longer validity it wasn't available, but the lady said they can mail/fedex it to anywhere in the world... I'll probably just use my fathers address, have him make a copy and then make an attempt to send it to my location at the time. Part of the problem is you can only renew it 60 days in front of the expiration.

Out of curiosity which countries have you successfully used a printed version?
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 04:36   #4

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway View Post

Out of curiosity which countries have you successfully used a printed version?
Bermuda, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Montenegro, Albania, Greece, Malta, Tunisia, and Morocco. I think that’s all. With a good scan and print it’s very hard to tell the difference, especially since the people I hand it to don’t have the original to compare it to.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 10:13   #5

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway View Post
Part of the problem is you can only renew it 60 days in front of the expiration.
Actually, you can submit more than 60 days in advance, the NVDC will just issue the renewal with a new expiration date, based on the renewal date. Quote below links to the site.

CODs renewed more than 60 days prior to expiration will be issued with a new issue/expiration date, shortening validity period of document. CODs renewed 60 days or less from expiration will maintain the same expiration month.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 12:53   #6
Marine Service Provider

Another government scam to get your money upfront, like withholding tax.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 13:57   #7

When you make a copy don't the numbers at the bottom come out reversed?
bluedotvoyages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 21:24   #8

Boat: Custom Brewer Miami 45 45' - Quetzalcoatl

When I make a copy of my Certificate of Documentation it prints out with the word void in about a dozen places. Also, as mentioned, the number at the bottom of the page is printed in reverse. Even the most avid sailors spend several weeks in one location from time to time. It would seem best to have the Document mailed to you and then you don't have to worry about its acceptance. Now, I have a question regarding this. The multiyear renewal is only available for vessels endorsed as recreational. My boat is endorsed for recreational, registry, and coastwise. Can I still get the multiyear renewal? When I renewed in February, the Coast Guard wanted the money in advance with no refunds. So I renewed for one year. I haven't contacted the Coast Guard regarding this as there hasn't been convenient time to do it. We are now in Greece.
Donald Bryden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation, men, offer