Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2015, 10:30   #16

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: USCG Documentation but no Hull ID

I checked with the Coast Guard last month, as I built my own boat back in the 70's and had it documented. They confirmed that HINs were not needed then, BUT may be needed now by various other countries. They directed me to call the Department of Motor Vehicles in my state to obtain the appropriate application form. It is not difficult and you then have another piece of paper to amaze and awe the Mexican Port Captains.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 11:36   #17

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

What complicates things is we are changing our residency to Florida before we leave. I would assume that we'll be getting all kinds of bills from California despite not being residents or having a boat there anymore once we start cruising if we involve them.

I've emailed Lat38 already, and talked to several yacht broker friends, we're going to try the USCG Monday morning and hopefully get steered in the right direction. We can wait 6 months, but not much longer.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 12:24   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
We have a pre-1982 boat that does not have a Hull ID. We have a USCG documentation number.
I hope that was a typo and you have a pre-1972 boat.

If the boat was manufactured or imported for sale in the US after 1972, and there is no HIN, the question of title might arise. As in, who removed the mandatory HIN in an effort to hide the identity of the boat.

So a little sleuthing and such might be in order, before Florida and every else starts asking questions.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 12:33   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Dave,

Any idea when that was? We were built around 1982.

Reply from Goron May
From 1972 US & Cdn Federal regulations required every recreational boat manufacturer to assign a HIN to each vessel built.

From June 1998, the European Recreational Craft Directive required that every new boat sold or put into service in the EU to have a HIN displayed conforming to the Directive. The European RCD required that the 12 Character HIN also displayed a 2 Character Country code prefix defining the Country of Origin. The Country Code prefix to conform to ISO3166.

From 1 January 2006 the European Recreational Directive was amended and the HIN renamed CIN (Craft Identification Number) for the EU market. Apart from the name, the CIN retains the same 2+12 Character format.

The USA & Canada retain the name HIN.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 13:58   #20

Boat: 1975 NORTHSTAR 80/20 40' KETCH CENTER COCKPIT

Quote:
We have a pre-1982 boat that does not have a Hull ID. We have a USCG documentation number.

We want to go cruise in Mexico, do we have to get a Hull ID issued to us? or do we just make one up?
I have a 1975 NorthStar- the hull ID is on the starboard side of the stern - on the outside. It had been painted over but was still visible upon close inspection. I hope this helps. My vessel was built in Ontario, Canada by U.S. Steel who bought out Hughes who went bankrupt.
SVCASSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 14:22   #21

The HINs weren't required earlier, and custom/home built boats didnt come with them. Now in the new (Mexican) world your vehicle/vessel must have one. It MUST match your other documentation/registration. In the past folks got a little slipshod but the Mexican authorities are tightening up all of their vehicle/vessel importation procedures and even COMPUTERIZING them (or so the Morning Net here in Banderas Bay reports).

The good news regarding the USCG is that, while they are certainly backed up, they are also responsive.

In our recent case, I submited the form to change ownership from my husband only to both of us just before leaving 11/13. We happily sailed in Mexico last season. We returned home in time to look for the usual renewal. When it didn't appear, I called...and learned that the ownership change was blocking renewal and I needed to pay the (unbeknownst to me) $92 fee. Still didn't come, then we got a Temporary Document. Not good for Mexico I feared, so I called again. I was invited to request PRIORITY processing which I did.

At this point the right and left hands got confused as we received a telephone call confirming the FedEx billing to use as we received a form letter telling us we were ineligible for priority processing. The next day we had our documents in hand.

The short of it is, be patient and persistent, and not in that order.

Happy sailing.
BeaMewesed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 20:14   #22

Thanks all for the info so far. Our boat was not built in the USA in 1978, so that's why we have no HID. There's no HID on file with the USCG, so we just need to get one assigned so we can jump through the appropriate hoops to appease the Mexican officials.

We've got a contact at the USCG on Monday, so hopefully things will go smoothly. Will share how it goes, in the meantime, I'm going to go hoop netting for lobster.
Old 24-01-2015, 21:44   #23

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

My boat was homebuilt (not by me) and federally documented in 1979. The documentation number -6 digits- is carved into a thwartships beam under the cabin sole. She's never been abroad.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 21:43   #24

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Ok, I have a question pertaining to CG documentation. I am restoring (really it is a near total reconstruction with little of the original vessel remaining) a 70 y/o wood ketch. We have the bills of sale from the 2 previous owners. One of which is the US Navy. Neither documents were notarized. There will be NO WAY to get the Navy to help out in this.

Due to the fact that there will be less than 5% of the original vessel left, could I legitmately call it a new vessel? I'm pretty sure the original buyer (the boat was built in an unknown boatyard in Valpariso, Chili, shortly after the end of WW2 and the second owner are deceased. It was the second owner who donated the vessel to the Naval Sailing Association at the Great Lakes Naval Training Center. I have contacted them and they have no documentation of any use to me.

Any suggestions? I hope I can just call it new and go from there.
Old 26-01-2015, 04:49   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, SVCASSANDRA.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 12:13   #26
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

crazy-
Your best bet is to call the great folks at the Vessel Documentation Center directly.
I'm betting they'll say "home built" is simpler and with only 5% being re-used...No reason to even mention you bought a piece of an older boat.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 13:07   #27

No luck so far getting anybody at the USCG to pick up or return a call.
Old 27-01-2015, 13:12   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
No luck so far getting anybody at the USCG to pick up or return a call.
I think you've already been told that state DMV's issues HIN's for older boats without one.
Old 27-01-2015, 15:02   #29

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Thanks, hellosailor. That's my thinking. The Admiral (as it happens, a member of "The Admiralty" in a manner of speaking) is looking into this. Since the US Navy had the vessel under documentation this may still be an option. Otherwise, it's a brandy new boat.
Old 27-01-2015, 16:52   #30

Boat: Various

Actually the state of Florida also requires a Hull ID number and makes no exception. You could expedite your move and go on and register in Florida (will help toward valid no California tax argument). Call the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles at 850-617-2000. They will assign you a number. Here is a link to all the information you need. http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/fffvo.pdf
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation, hull, men