Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2015, 10:56   #1

USCG documentation?

I have read on this forum that USCG documentation is a hassle. I am just starting construction of a power boat in the Philippines. Philippine rules require any Philippine registered powerboat to carry a Filipino Captain, a bit of a problem on a 25 ft boat. I am an American and from what I read on the USCG web site I should be able to meet documentation requirements. Am I missing something? My alternative is to document in Lankawi, Malaysia a flag of convenience. I would obviously prefer to be US flagged if it isn't a problem.
Kenny Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 11:54   #2

Re: USCG documentation?

Wow ! To be documented and "foreign built " will take an act of congress to get past the Jones Act !
Boat must measure five tons as opposed to weighing five tons .
Might be difficult .
pistarckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 12:20   #3

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

I don't know if this helps, but a foreign built boat has to admeasure less than 5 net tons to participate in US fisheries. A lot of Canadian fishing boats have made it into the fishery by being admeasured and then getting state registration numbers.

Joe
jdazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 12:59   #4

I won't be commercial fishing or carrying passenger for hire so being over 5 tons admeasure is the requirement. In fact I consulted the designer about stretching the boat 10% in order to make the 5 ton limit. As the boat will be used exclusively for pleasure I am not sure if the Jones Act applies. I appreciate all the replies Thank you
Kenny Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 13:05   #5

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

If it's just the documentation process you're wondering about, I didn't find it to be a problem. There are documentation companies that do this if you want help.

Joe
jdazey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation, men