Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-05-2012, 17:29   #1

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch 40'
USCG Clearance for Canadian Sailboat

This is the short scenario:
I purchased a 40 ft. sailboat in Rhode Island and since I am Canadian, she was released from USCG Documentation and registered in Canada. From the time of purchase, the boat is on hard going through a re-fit. It never entered Canadian waters and will never do. However, she will be launched in Rhode Island and suddenly there will be a Canadian flagged sailboat in US waters without ever sailed there. I am sure the CG would question me. Additionally, the boat will sail from the US through the Panama Canal, -> Hawaii -> Guam (also US Ports) to the Philippines.
I assume, I need a USCG Clearance Letter before launch, (that may also be the clearance from the port of origin) Additionally I need this USCG Letter, requested by the US Consulate to apply for US Visa of my foreign crew.
I have called several USCG Offices in New England States, but so far no one could give me any directions how to get such letter or where to go.
I would like to ask for the help of anyone, who knows how to get a USCG Clearance Letter. Any direction is much appreciated.

Old 01-05-2012, 17:53   #2

Boat: PETERSON 44
Registering vs Licensing Boat in Canada
I think you have to get a authorized Canadian agent to verify the boat stateside there are many about that can do this. See the thread above

Old 01-05-2012, 18:27   #3

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch 40'
Re: USCG clearance for Canadian sailboat

Dear Sabray,

Thank you for your reply. I am not sure if I understand your suggestion about a Canadian agent. In Rhode Island?
My real problem is that I do not seem to find any USCG Office, who knows what I am talking about. I am sure there is one, somewhere (maybe on mainland). So far the problem is not that who will believe what and whom, but who is the one does the action.
Old 01-05-2012, 18:45   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Wouldnt this be more customs and immigration? Can you just ask for a exit clearance and see what happens. Did you fly in and have proof of entering. Would they even ask, or would they assume you sailed in? The us may be as bad as any, but wherever i am i just try to do the right thing, offer no info not asked for, and play as dumb as possible, and in fact its hard not to be dumb in these matters!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 19:05   #5

Boat: C&C27 MKIII

As I understand it, you mainly need a cruising permit. Some states will hit you with a tax, more or less equivalent to a sales tax, if you stay there too long. A boat in U.S. waters on a cruising permit must leave and re-enter at least once per year, but this requirement does not apply if the boat was manufactured in the U.S.
Old 02-05-2012, 16:05   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah, if you're staying for a while, just go get a cruising permit, if issues arise just tell them....." I flew in, took possession of the boat and now need a cruising permit."

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 16:38   #7

Boat: Fortuna, Island Spirit 400, 40ft. Catamaran - S/V One White Tree

I think Cheechako is right. Your boat needs a cruising permit. I believe that you are exempt from state taxes on the boat as long as it is foreign flagged and has a valid USA cruising permit. (Mine was in Florida.) Your crew's Visa requirements would be based on their nationality.
Good Luck.
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 17:21   #8

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Before I had dual citizenship, I documented my boat here in the US as Canadian (what a hassle). Talking to the USCG at their main office back east, I was told they could write me a letter to clear , no problem. However...this was before home land security. A lot has changed. Just call USCG and ask. No big deal, I'm sure.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:27   #9
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

A Canadian flagged boat owned by a Canadian citizen cruising US waters. He needs to contact CBP. The Coast Guard has nothing to do with it.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:23   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Steve_T.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:51   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
A Canadian flagged boat owned by a Canadian citizen cruising US waters. He needs to contact CBP. The Coast Guard has nothing to do with it.
Just telling you what they told me.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Old 03-05-2012, 09:24   #12
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

But he doesn't want to document the boat in the US. It's already registered in Canada. He's concerned about cruising in the US once the yard work is done and the boat is launched.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:36   #13

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

If its on the hard it isn't in US waters yet, you might try approaching the matter as if your boat launch is your point and time of entry and clear customs.Mind you they will hear the story then but customs tries to help people attempting to work within regulations. Of course you want to research everything, officials have suggested using the hypothetical friend routine when making inquiries etc.....
Old 03-05-2012, 09:53   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

I think Hud has nailed this. I presume that when the OP entered the US he told them what he was doing and entered the country legally. If BMiklos didn't explain at the time the intention of spending time cruising in US waters then he needs to do so and will either have to leave the country or be given permission. As for other US ports of entry, you don't get a letter to permit it; you have to apply for permission from the border authority for each entry. This would be true if you sailed offshore and then back into US waters, the requirement is you go to the nearest reporting station.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:02   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
But he doesn't want to document the boat in the US. It's already registered in Canada. He's concerned about cruising in the US once the yard work is done and the boat is launched.
Read my first post again. I documented my boat CANADIAN while I resided in the US. He has registered his as CANADIAN and the boat is in the US

Tags
sailboat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: