Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2006, 19:21   #1

Boat: Passport 51 - Matsu
USA and Canada Registration Requirements

Hi there

We are Australian and are looking at buying a boat in the USA. While we sort out the international registration we will be cruising the east coast of the USA and hopefully Canada.

My question is this, can we sail from USA to Canada with only the North Carolina state registration on the vessel, or does it need to be internationally registered to do that?

Thanks

Tim
SydneyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 00:51   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Yes, you can legally sail in Canada with a U.S. State registration.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:44   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

You may have problems every time you cross the border though, with both countries asking "Well, if you're Aussies, why does the boat have NC registration? Do you live THERE? Or where?"

I'd get written statements from both US & Canadian authorities before even coming over, to find out what both will want, and to show the border folks since this will be a situation they are NOT very familiar with.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:20   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
There isn't "International Registration". About the only thing you can get is a NC state boat registration since it is only a requirement that the boat be there and you don't have to be residents or US citizens to get one. US Documentation is only for US citizens. I would also carry a bill of sale and of course your own passports.

You might get some curious interviews but it is legal, just not always expedient with the various officials you may encounter as you cross back and forth over the border. You do need to check in going both ways each time you cross. Make sure you display the registration numbers as required plus the sticker for current registration.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 16:55   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41
I have a boat in Canada right now and everytime I go across the border I'm told there are different requirements. I have found that as long as you are polite and don't offer any information that isn't requested of you it is easy to go back and forth across the border. I am a US Citizen though.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 18:24   #6

Boat: Passport 51 - Matsu
Many thanks for that, it will take a while for the Australian registration to come through and we want to be able cruise around while waiting for it
SydneyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 19:23   #7

Boat: Irwin citation 40 "Southern Toy"
Let me first welcome you to North Aaaaaaaaaamerica I am danish been here in Canada 45years and love it, sailing as much as i could and let me tell you how it is legally a Canadian cannot sail a foreign vessel , that he owns ( because of taxes) in Canadian waters' but a foreigner can, same in the states. If you have your pasports and the vessel registration you will be ok . In many years of delivering with my Danish papers I have only had one problem , in 1982 I delivered a new canadian built boat with American registration I got boarded by US coast guard in florida waters,( THE BEST GUYS IN THE WORLD, after the Danish navy of course) they told me I was in violation because the life jackets approveved by Canadian coast guard, was not approved by Us coast guard, They were nice enough to let me purchase new ones at my next port of call and get re inspected in order to avoid a fine. see I still cant type. So have a good time and remember to cacth a big fish the trick is to to get the Bait past all the small ones. Ole
olepedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009, 17:00   #8

Hi,
I know this is 3 yrs later but''''''''''''
I am Canadian and we are pretty laid back in Canada. I have sailed both the Pacific coast & Atlantic coast. As long as it is registered, I doubt very much if Canadian customs cares. All they care about is if you are a Canadian bringing a foreign boat to Canada. They want to make sure that the GST is paid. Just be polite and all will go smoothly.
tejeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009, 18:01   #9

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I have a boat in Canada right now and everytime I go across the border I'm told there are different requirements. I have found that as long as you are polite and don't offer any information that isn't requested of you it is easy to go back and forth across the border. I am a US Citizen though.
Charlie,

You hit the nail on he head. Be polite and don't offer any info that isn't requested. Just answer the questions.
Old 15-11-2009, 21:56   #10

Boat: Hunter 26
What?

Your supposed to check in when you go to the state of Canada?
MABell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 10:28   #11

Ha ha ha!
tejeda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada, registration