Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 31-07-2015, 21:13   #46

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44'
Re: US residence for cruiser with no ties to land?

Thank you for the feedback. I want to retain my DL so that I will be able to rent a car if necessary. Guess I will cross this bridge when it expires.

Sounds like I can use a mail forwarding service and as long as I don't initiate a residency change, I will retain my TX residency.... for now.

Thank you for sharing your experience/knowledge.

mgstich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:22   #47

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
Thanks. So no fees on Florida if your boat is documented?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
My boat is Documented with a FL hailing port, but has not actually been in FL since 2003. The only fee I pay is for Federal Documentation. Zero fees/taxes to FL unless the boat is physically in the State.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:27   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgstich View Post
Does anyone know if I can use St. Brendan's Isle as my mail forwarding service but keep my TX residency and driver's license? (I will still own a commercial property but no residence in TX)

When I spoke w/ SBI today they said that now in FL if I want a driver's license I have to register my boat or my RV in Florida.

I don't have an RV and I don't want to register my boat in FL.

Only way around it is to have a friend allow me to use his address for a FL driver's license. But that seems confusing and I don't want to have 2 addresses: a mailing address and a driver's license address in FL.

I tried to call TX DOT, but can only get a recording....

Can anyone help?
I'm in a similar situation and have been for years. Over the years, I've used forwarding services in both TX and FL, maintained a physical address in TX, and kept my TX DL. I've even renewed it online with no problems.

The only thing I use the physical address in TX for is my DL so it does not create any confusion.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:53   #49

Boat: 38' French Cat

What about the seemingly constant notices of jury duty?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 01-08-2015, 08:38   #50

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
When a vehicle is brought into FL or bought in FL, you have 90 days to pay the extortionate (easily $500+) title fee and have the vehicle titled and registered in FL.

No annual safety inspections at all?

Like most former Spanish colonies (and French Louisiana) Florida just doesn't follow the British heritage that most of the US states do.
I've been living in Florida since the 1970's.

That "$500+ out of state title fee" was discontinued many years ago. And I think it was $300. I just bought my daughters old car - registered in Pennsylvania - and the total fee was $80, which included registration and new title. They did charge a 6% sales tax on the purchase price, but I think all states do that.

There haven't been annual inspections for many years now. Florida was given an exception from the Federal regulations because we have NO smog. Being only about 100 miles wide, with blue water on both sides, we get steady breezes that keep the bad stuff moving.

Florida laws are similar to, and as stupid as, all the other states in the Union. Louisiana is unique among the states in that it's laws are based on the Napoleonic Code that was introduced there just a couple of years before we bought the place.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:11   #51

[QUOTE=mgstich;1880439]Does anyone know if I can use St. Brendan's Isle as my mail forwarding service but keep my TX residency and driver's license? (I will still own a commercial property but no residence in TX)

I use Texas Home Base in Wichita Falls (texashomebase.com). Their website gives you the info you need. They will open and scan your mail, then send you email with the scans attached. You simply advise them as to what you want done with each mail item (destroy or forward). Service is $20 per month. They are a legal mail forwarding service so you can maintain your Texas residency.
Old 01-08-2015, 16:57   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
What about the seemingly constant notices of jury duty?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
That can be a problem. I don't usually get them until way too late. Technically that could put you in hot water, but I don't think many venues excercise strong enforcement. I have called and explained before that I am out of the country and that seemed to satisfy them...at least I haven't been surprised by any outstanding arrest warrants yet. ;-)
Old 01-08-2015, 17:30   #53
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sorry. lightweight, but about two years ago I know Florida actually got over $400 (well over 400) for a lightweight 2+2 car forced to transfer title in from out of state. It would easily go over $500 for a full sized car, or something heavier. They do state, today, that the "basic fee" is $85.25 for out of state vehicles coming in--but that's basic, not complete. As I remember the form, there were multiple line items to be added onto the basic fee. Maybe I'm misrecalling that registration gets added into that as well, but the total amount was whopping compared to other states.
Then again, maybe I'm also thinking of the total, which includes...what is it, $250 for one illegible license plate? Heck, I think two plates are only $25 in most states. For $250 I'd expect at least something hand-decorated by the junior staff at Tiffany's. Or licensed by Disney.(G)

I think we're well past time for a federal registration, title, and plate issuance, and let the state beancounters find a more honest way to make a living.

On the sales tax, they only charge the difference between what you paid when you bought it, and what FL would charge you if you bought it in FL today. Most states do that...but that does seem illegal, since there's no nexus for taxation on a transaction that occurred in another place, in another time, with a then-non-resident of a venue. I could see it for recent purchases that might be trying to dodge taxes...but FL even wants it on 25 year old purchases. That's grounds for a Boston Tea Party, except of course, they cleverly screw non-residents who are non-voters, who would have to take up arms since they can't vote. Yet. (Oh, wait, they can't vote yet, but they can buy arms! Isn't that convenient?(G)

Dulce-
Unlike NYC, which will issue extensions but no exemptions, FL is very obliging to issue complete and long-lasting exemptions. You may need a note, or to explain a good circumstance, i.e. "We'll be at sea for the next ten years". But in FL that will get you removed form the jury list, where in NYC they would say "That's nice, but we have airports, figure out how to use one, or we'll issue a summons anyway."
Old 01-08-2015, 19:46   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
That can be a problem. I don't usually get them until way too late. Technically that could put you in hot water, but I don't think many venues excercise strong enforcement. I have called and explained before that I am out of the country and that seemed to satisfy them...at least I haven't been surprised by any outstanding arrest warrants yet. ;-)
Last time i checked, unless you signed for the jury notice or you acknowledged receipt of the jury sumons there is no proof of notification that would stand up i court.

If i am in a situation where i can not attend, i toss the suspected notice. Been doing that for 20 some years.
Old 02-08-2015, 14:17   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1985 Freedom Mach1 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Valerie-
Each state has the right to set their own "residency" rules. MOST states try to make that a real residency, and most states also have taken the effort (fairly easy database comparison & match) to flag the addresses of "box" businesses and exclude them from valid residencies. Many of those businesses were willing to let customers use their street address and say "Unit 123" instead of "Box 123" for years now, but when a state has minimal brains and computer skills--that no longer flies.
Of course some states don't care, if you declare residency they get taxes and other benefits, so they tolerate it. And in these post-9/11 Homeland Insecurity days with the fed asking everyone to use the "SecureID" program...the game is still changing.

Bottom line, every state is different, and *eventually* they may or may not all come around to being honest about what is and isn't real residency, following the legal (not just departmental self-serving) definitions. Hasn't happened yet though.

A bogus residency in Florida, still provides income for the voters who own and work at the business supplying it. Which, to a good ol' boy, who needs votes, sounds like a very good reason to keep things that way.

Zengirl-
Don't think so. You must have a license in one state, and only one license. But if you keep cars at multiple state homes...yes, you can do that too, with your out of state license.
Maybe I didn't make myself clear. He can keep his Tx license (his only one) and still use SBI for all his mail.

Tags
cruise, cruiser, enc

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: