Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2013, 10:11   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
US and florida anchoring laws

The document in the link below is a nice compilation of the federal and florida and state laws governing anchoring. I'm guessing the document was written for the city's of Florida to use in enacting anchoring restrictions. Its sort of written in a tone of how to limit anchoring. But it actually lists the federal and state rules and regulations relating to anchoring.

Marco Is. Florida is firmly in the "don't even think of anchoring here" side of things. Delightful folk.. I think NiMBY actually started there.

http://www.cityofmarcoisland.com/mod...ocumentid=7465
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 10:35   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: US and florida anchoring laws

I will admit I didn't read your link, but this was settled by a court case about 3 years ago.

TODAY it is legal to anchor in Marco island.

AFTER the great "success" of the pilot program. Which Marco is not part of (the state law will likely be changed to be more restrictive.

It may be a small issue in the 2014 Govenors race as Charlie Crist passed the current "liberal" anchoring law and there a good chance he may be govenor again,
Old 27-09-2013, 10:59   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The document is not about the marco lawsuit, which I am well aware of, though it does reference it in passing. Its a reference document that lists and explains the various federal and state anchoring laws and statures. Its more a reference to have on hand relating to general anchoring information.

Its actually written under the support of the National Sea Grant College Program of the U.S. Department of Commerce’s National Oceanic and
Atmospheric Administration. Boy thats an ear full.
Old 27-09-2013, 11:25   #4

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Marco Is. Florida is firmly in the "don't even think of anchoring here" side of things. Delightful folk.. I think NiMBY actually started there.
Quote:
The document is not about the marco lawsuit, which I am well aware of, though it does reference it in passing.
If you are well aware of the Marco lawsuit, what is your basis for claiming Marco is a "don't even think of anchoring here" community?
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 12:59   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
If you are well aware of the Marco lawsuit, what is your basis for claiming Marco is a "don't even think of anchoring here" community?
Ah, because they had an ordnance prohibiting anchoring over 12 hours, that was overturned in court. I'm pretty sure they would love to have a new no anchoring law again too.

BTW, I have anchored there before.
Old 27-09-2013, 13:46   #6

First, I do think you posting the link to US and state law is a good thing.

Quote:
Ah, because they had an ordnance prohibiting anchoring over 12 hours, that was overturned in court. I'm pretty sure they would love to have a new no anchoring law again too.

BTW, I have anchored there before.
1) For full disclosure, I live on Marco Island, been here 13 years, hence I'm probably a little closer to what happened than you are.
2) FWIW, the ordinance was 12 hours within 300' of a seawall, or up to 6 days >300' from a seawall. Not that it matters as it was a bad ordinance.
3) The 'they' you are referring to, is not the consensus of the Marco Island community. Like most similar cases, enacting the ordinance involved a small few of those with enough means to influence the political process, i.e, those with arrogance as large as their piles of money.
4) It was the Marco Island community of sailors that took the case to court and won the legal challenge, hence I'm a little sensitive when "Marco Island" is painted with the anti-anchoring brush.
5) I can provide more details if desired (or roust another CFer who was actually involved in the court case!).

Just trying to settle the (anti-anchoring) dust......

BTW, the city is installing a dinghy dock just for transients to use when anchoring in a popular bay.
Old 27-09-2013, 14:15   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:

BTW, the city is installing a dinghy dock just for transients to use when anchoring in a popular bay.

Just a question, but how does the city residents feel about this dock for transients as the locals are paying for it?
Old 27-09-2013, 14:28   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Just a question, but how does the city residents feel about this dock for transients as the locals are paying for it?
I'm sure that 49,900 of the 50,000 residents don't have a clue it's happening.

There is no law forcing the city to put in a dinghy dock, it's simply trying to help the cruising community. It's going to be located at a small city park. The reason for it is the marina next to the park just shut off access for anchored/transient dinghies due to abuse by a few! (Gee, where have we heard that before?)

The island was developed as a boating community, 100+ miles of waterways, hence the community as a whole is not anti-boating! (except for the few that get thru the checkpoint on the other side of the bridge!! )
Old 27-09-2013, 14:36   #9

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

I read the whole thing...made my head hurt...essentially what I got from it is the feds while retaining master control..could care less except for certain situations.

But push come to shove...if decent people raise a red flag and call upon the feds...as has been done in several recent cases...reasonable anchoring regulations for transients will always be possible.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 16:03   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
First, I do think you posting the link to US and state law is a good thing.

Sort of figured you lived on Marco. Its a nice place. Was not really throwing stones just noted that there was some anti anchoring sentiment.

Have to admit that the dinghy dock is nice touch for sure.

If I recall there were not many locations 300' from a seawall. The back bay had an area I think, that we stayed at once. But it got shallow after a bit. Of course My memory might be faulty too. Did anchor there a few times back in the mid 2000's, Generally to and from the keys, but once over new years too.
Old 27-09-2013, 16:44   #11

Quote:
Sort of figured you lived on Marco. Its a nice place. Was not really throwing stones just noted that there was some anti anchoring sentiment.

Have to admit that the dinghy dock is nice touch for sure.

If I recall there were not many locations 300' from a seawall. The back bay had an area I think, that we stayed at once. But it got shallow after a bit. Of course My memory might be faulty too. Did anchor there a few times back in the mid 2000's, Generally to and from the keys, but once over new years too.
Actually, the 300' left some room, but obviously the purveyors of the ordinance were trying to discourage anchoring as much as possible. The kingpin of that circus now has a motion detector that turns on sprinklers pointed at passing boats if you get too close to his dock! Quite funny!

I do hope when the city dinghy dock gets installed that users will treat it with respect and not screw things up. As happened at the marina, it only takes a few to ruin it for everyone.
Old 30-09-2013, 09:14   #12

Quote:
The kingpin of that circus now has a motion detector that turns on sprinklers pointed at passing boats if you get too close to his dock! Quite funny!
Got the address? I'd like to know where I can go if I want to get a free fresh-water rinse of my boat.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 10:37   #13

Boat: Her Shine Newburyport 37'

Looks like another try?

ALERT: Florida anchoring regulations meetings announced | General | Waterwayguide.com News Updates
Capecoder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, florida