Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2012, 05:04   #61

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason
Re: Under What Flag Would You Register?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
A lot of Turkish owned boats fly the American flag.
I am told its very easy and cheap to register.

I don't know if this helps, but it's another option.
You have to be a US Citizen or Company to Document (register) your boat with the US Coast Guard.

For more info go here:
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvdc/nvdcfaq.asp

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 05:08   #62

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
You have to be a US Citizen or Company to Document (register) your boat with the US Coast Guard.

For more info go here:
USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, FAQ Page
According to a poster on another forum they form a $100 shelf company in Delaware and register the boat that way. It certainly very common I thought you Americans were invading the country until I relised they were all locally owned boats
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 07:18   #63

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine

Hi DOJ, my yacht is already VATpaid!
Old 15-07-2012, 07:40   #64

Boat: Able 50

Lagoon4us I suggest you register in one of the local British territories - Isle of Man, Gibraltar, Jersey, Guernsey. They are all fairly cheap. Your downside is being subject to the 18 month rule. UK itself is even cheaper if you are OK with telling fibs about your address.

You will only have to prove that you have residency anywhere outside EU.

This registration will be of no use against Australia's GST. Your duty to pay will accrue on arrival. Your choice there is to keep the boat out of Australia or to arrive in a few years after the boat has depreciated and reduced the GST debt.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 13:48   #65

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Lagoon4us I suggest you register in one of the local British territories - Isle of Man, Gibraltar, Jersey, Guernsey. They are all fairly cheap. Your downside is being subject to the 18 month rule. UK itself is even cheaper if you are OK with telling fibs about your address.

You will only have to prove that you have residency anywhere outside EU.

This registration will be of no use against Australia's GST. Your duty to pay will accrue on arrival. Your choice there is to keep the boat out of Australia or to arrive in a few years after the boat has depreciated and reduced the GST debt.
Hi we have no issue with paying the GST (at purchase price rates) when we arrive in Australia. What we don't wish to do is also pay it elsewhere naturally....

The 18 month rule whilst annoying is not a biggie as we intend to exit the Med ARC Nov 2013.

The discussion here has a couple of purposes the first is to get some understanding of the req's of various countries for registration as first hand experienced by cruisers.
Secondly in our situation all our documentation is in AUSTRIAN as in the place of "Sound of Music" etc Whereas in Australia "Skippy" etc registration is a very slow process ie 12 weeks also complicated by the foreign documentation.

This is exacerbated by us being with the boat in Croatia (de-registered). From the helpful comments we have contacted Gibralter as we hold UK passports as well so that's cool, doing this through an agent may well be the simplest.

As you say it's important to keep it out of EU grips, we will not overstay anywhere, we will be constantly heading West to catch ARC. If we decide to linger we will spend time outside of EU to stop the clock a little and exit 2014 instead.

Some good points have come out in this discussion, it is a big help for anyone buying foreign to be able to witness the flow of info.

Cheers Frank
Old 15-07-2012, 14:16   #66

Keen to pay GST. Holy guacamole Batman !

My GST bill could be AUD 45,000 but I'm not keen at all. You won't see me there for a looong time.
Old 15-07-2012, 14:22   #67

Said i have no problem as in i have no choice, keen???? Don't think i said that? It's just inevitable.
Old 15-07-2012, 17:56   #68

So stay out of town for a while which is what I'm doing. I might make OZ in about 6 years but I won't be bored.

By the way, I chose Jersey and go the Tigers (the Sydney ones).
Old 15-07-2012, 18:00   #69

LMAO yer we don't think we shall get back before five years is up either, theres lots to see here yet, Greece next for winter.
The red duster will fly BUT the Aussie house flag will fly as well. Bronco's it's a given!!!!
Old 15-07-2012, 18:18   #70

Going pommie ? I sure hope that the boys at the the pub don't hear about this.
Old 15-07-2012, 18:54   #71
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Of you wish to claim Vat relief do not use the SSR, as DOJ points Out, the SSR requires you to be established ie a tax resident. You would then have too competing claims.

Dave
Old 15-07-2012, 19:06   #72

Send a message via Skype™ to mdvick

Might want to look at your passport. That is where every customs officer in the world will want to see first... IMHO. I could be wrong - probably not!
Old 15-07-2012, 19:22   #73

In our case we enter and exit Aust with Aussie passport and enter and exit Europe with our UK passport, in our ships documents we shall carry power bills and car registration receipts showing/proving we reside in Australia normally (thanks Dave for that tip )

We mustn't allow the boat to stay EU longer than 18months unless bonded.

And we mustn't overstay 6 months in any one country. (subject to laws varying country to country).

We shall register under Gibraltar flag as they cannot levy VAT (thanks IMPI ).

Aussie rego is slow and tedious and winter approaches.

When we eventually arrive back in Australia we shall decide if we continue on through Asia, we are 59 years old and shall sail as long as we enjoy and our fitness prevails.
Cheers Frank & Vivien..
Old 16-07-2012, 06:57   #74

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us
In our case we enter and exit Aust with Aussie passport and enter and exit Europe with our UK passport, in our ships documents we shall carry power bills and car registration receipts showing/proving we reside in Australia normally (thanks Dave for that tip )

We mustn't allow the boat to stay EU longer than 18months unless bonded.

And we mustn't overstay 6 months in any one country. (subject to laws varying country to country).

We shall register under Gibraltar flag as they cannot levy VAT (thanks IMPI ).

Aussie rego is slow and tedious and winter approaches.

When we eventually arrive back in Australia we shall decide if we continue on through Asia, we are 59 years old and shall sail as long as we enjoy and our fitness prevails.
Cheers Frank & Vivien..
You could register in Malaysia/Langkawi.
Can do on-line, quite cheap and very acceptable in Asia. Google it.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 23:55   #75

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonker View Post
Yea ... that really exists ... :-) .. gotta do first inland-water permit (D-Schein). Then sea permit (B-Schein). Then 1000 sm supervised training on sea - imho totally overblown.

But to get it - cost you around 5k.
I now have the D-Schein (so I could become a Sailbox[1] member), the Hochseeschein I'll probably get easily, as I intend to get a RYA Yachtmaster Offschore eventually, and the miles I do for that I can also use for the Swiss Permit. The only other thing I need to do is pass the theory test, which I'll prepare for through self study (as I always have done...)

The main reason is that without this paper I cannot register a vessel under Swiss Flag, which I might want to do eventually...

[1] Sailbox is a sailboat sharing scheme in Switzerland. They've got a growing fleet of nice daysailers on the lakes, that you just book in the internet and then go sail at leasure...
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote