Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2012, 00:15   #76

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Under What Flag Would You Register?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
You could register in Malaysia/Langkawi.
Can do on-line, quite cheap and very acceptable in Asia. Google it.
Cheers looking at it now ty....
Old 17-07-2012, 00:41   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
I now have the D-Schein (so I could become a Sailbox[1] member), the Hochseeschein I'll probably get easily, as I intend to get a RYA Yachtmaster Offschore eventually, and the miles I do for that I can also use for the Swiss Permit. The only other thing I need to do is pass the theory test, which I'll prepare for through self study (as I always have done...)

The main reason is that without this paper I cannot register a vessel under Swiss Flag, which I might want to do eventually...

[1] Sailbox is a sailboat sharing scheme in Switzerland. They've got a growing fleet of nice daysailers on the lakes, that you just book in the internet and then go sail at leasure...
Grüezi ....

yea .. it's a PIA ! As I proceed .. D-Schein (approx 2000) ... Short Range Cert (approx 500) ... Hochseeschein (approx 500) ... 1000 sm (approx 4000) ... that is a ripoff !

>> the miles I do for that I can also use for the Swiss Permit

I thought the sm's have to be done with a swiss skipper/boat ?!

Anyway I am thinking to fly under Belize flag - until I have the Hochseeschein - and may be even longer. But I am not sure what the insurance companies will say about my lousy Day Skipper Certificate ...
Zonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 00:58   #78

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
I'm glad this came up... HWMO has been asking me to find out what do long term cruisers do about registering their vessel. Our boat is Kuwait registered, but this has to be renewed annually, in person, along with third party insurance.

He wants to know what the hell do we do about boat registration when we leave Kuwait (on the boat) for good?

Background - I'm British, he's German. Neither of us have lived in Europe for 16 years. We had planned on circumnavigating, but given the current piracy situation, will probably just hang around Asia for a good while... meaning we won't even be sailing through Europe any time soon.
Langkawi International Yacht Registry perhaps?
Malaysian Boat Registration
Old 17-07-2012, 01:12   #79

I checked that page earlier, couldn't see an agent link? Any better info?? Cheers
Old 17-07-2012, 05:27   #80

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonker View Post
Grüezi ....

yea .. it's a PIA ! As I proceed .. D-Schein (approx 2000) ... Short Range Cert (approx 500) ... Hochseeschein (approx 500) ... 1000 sm (approx 4000) ... that is a ripoff !
Mmm. Don't know what you've been doing. I only paid about half as much to get my D, and my SRC... But then I didn't attend any theory courses (those are wasted on me anyway)

It was a bit of a pain indeed though. For a while Switzerland was the only country I couldn't legally sail a boat in...

Quote:
I thought the sm's have to be done with a swiss skipper/boat ?!
Maybe they are. But then the RYA miles don't have to be on a British boat...

Quote:
Anyway I am thinking to fly under Belize flag - until I have the Hochseeschein - and may be even longer. But I am not sure what the insurance companies will say about my lousy Day Skipper Certificate ...
The Belgian flag seems to be a convenient one if you don't want to be bothered with sailing licence requirements. Many French yachts have been flagged out to Belgium for this reason.

I'm however more thinking about the consequences of the flag when financing a boat. In Switzerland the rates are ridiculously low at the moment.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 15:14   #81

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
I checked that page earlier, couldn't see an agent link? Any better info?? Cheers
Main site is "Under Maintenance"?
https://www.google.com.au/search?sug...Yacht+Registry
Old 17-07-2012, 15:19   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
It was a bit of a pain indeed though. For a while Switzerland was the only country I couldn't legally sail a boat in...
Welcome aboard ... ... anyway for me it's Hochseeschein until June 2013 !
Old 17-07-2012, 15:29   #83

Cheers
Old 21-07-2012, 17:16   #84

Location: house is in melbourne australia and Muscade currently in Med.
Boat: fontaine pajot Marquises 56

Interesting reading,
we also have the dilema. We are Australian but Aussie registration takes too long get, and very demanding on paperwork which is not always easy to find. Our 56 cat will probably never make it to Australia, plan is to stay in carribean for few years, then med. Previously French reg, currently registered in Dutch St Martin, but cant stay as you need to be resident.
We only have Australian passports (commonwealth) and do not want to set up dodgy companies in tax havens, or lie about resindency. We will be insured to have up to 10 weeks skippered charter per annum.
Isle of Man seems best bet, any other suggestions appreciated.
karabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 17:23   #85

Karabil, both the Gibralter and Malaysian choice is workable, we shall opt for Gibraltar it is straight forward there are no companies to set up etc and it's not a dodge.
Agree about the time taken by Aussie reg, just getting them to answer a phone is a challenge and it's very hard with time zone differences!!!!

As IMPI said with the Gibraltar option you use an agent and the process is very smooth, anyone can do it, we are just getting our Austrian tonnage certificate translated along with some other documents, time moves on and we need to get to Greece/Turkey....
Old 21-07-2012, 17:52   #86

Location: house is in melbourne australia and Muscade currently in Med.
Boat: fontaine pajot Marquises 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by karabil View Post
Interesting reading,
we also have the dilema. We are Australian but Aussie registration takes too long get, and very demanding on paperwork which is not always easy to find. Our 56 cat will probably never make it to Australia, plan is to stay in carribean for few years, then med. Previously French reg, currently registered in Dutch St Martin, but cant stay as you need to be resident.
We only have Australian passports (commonwealth) and do not want to set up dodgy companies in tax havens, or lie about resindency. We will be insured to have up to 10 weeks skippered charter per annum.
Isle of Man seems best bet, any other suggestions appreciated.
Have just checked and Isle of Man wont work as 10 weeks charter puts us out of private and into commercail. - bugger,
seems we will need to set up a company somewhere, where is cheapest and safest???
karabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 22:17   #87

You dont need to set up a company with Gibralter or Malaysia....
Old 24-07-2012, 18:55   #88

Boat: 38 ft junk rig catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
In our case we enter and exit Aust with Aussie passport and enter and exit Europe with our UK passport, in our ships documents we shall carry power bills and car registration receipts showing/proving we reside in Australia normally (thanks Dave for that tip )
We have friends in NZ who do exactly the opposite. They have dual NZ/Canada citizenship. They enter NZ on their Canadian passports, and Canada on their NZ passports. They reckon it gives them the option of claiming consular protection if needed. Interesting.
chinamooninoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 19:04   #89

Boat: 38 ft junk rig catamaran

We are considering purchase of a SSR registered, VAT paid boat which is (has been for years) in France. We are Aussie resident, but Dual passport holders (UK/ Aust).
We have had lots of advice, and will soon have to act on it.

One broker says "the main goal is to retain the SSR status"

The most honest option is to get Aussie registered: small inconvenience, moderately expensive. But do we have to move the boat from France every 6 months?

After reading this discussion I wonder about Gibralter registration
chinamooninoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 22:56   #90

Boat is one thing ... but how about yourself ? Don't think as an Aussie that you can stay in EU forever. Also keep in mind, if you tend to stay longer in EU (= resident) you might need the boating license of that country and may be then you can register your boat in the country of your residency.