Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 14:05   #1

UK SSR-Registered Boat, Now in Spain

Looking for help on the requirements for boats in Spain....

I moved from UK to Spain 4 years ago and am resident, live, work and pay taxes there etc

I have now moved my boat to Barcelona in Spain. Is a 6.4M sports boat on a trailer. Boat is 7 years old, SSR registered in UK, and VAT was paid when I bought it new in UK.

I was pulled by the Guardia Civil last year and all paperwork was in order, SSR cert, my ICC, insurance, passport, fishing licence etc but read on the internet of requirement for boats to register locally if staying there long term.

I want to keep things legal and wonder if anyone has done such a move or has any advise if this will apply to me...?

Thanks in advance

Paul
PaulH30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:24   #2

Re: UK SSR registered boat now in Spain

Paul exactly when did your boat arrive LAST in Spain ?
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:59   #3

Hi there,

I arrived in Spain with it in November 2009 and I then kept if afloat in the local harbour until Oct 2010.

Since Oct 2010 I've had in sat on its trailer in a friends property and my intent was to trailer launch it this spring/summer.

I "could" have moved it to France and back anytime since Oct 2010, if it helps

Great if you can point me in the right direction on this

Thanks
Paul
Old 07-03-2011, 17:36   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
I moved from UK to Spain 4 years ago and am resident, live, work and pay taxes there etc
I'm afraid "resident" is the key phrase. You are for all intents and purposes Spainish. You need to register your boat in spain, pay the Matric tax, get a license, comply with safety rules etc.

Dave
Old 08-03-2011, 04:52   #5

Boat: Moody 36CC

Hi PaulH

As of January 1st you do not have to register your boat in Spain.
Do you read Spanish? If you do a can copy a the new law for you.

The problem is that you reside in Spain and when you change your address in the SSR for the Spanish one they will not renew because you de not live in the UK.

Here is the answer I received today from the SSR when I inquired

Quote:
Unfortunately as you do not live in the UK you are not eligible to join the Small Ships Register. You may be eligible to join the Part I Register however. Please contact them directly on part1_registry@mcga.gov.uk
Old 10-03-2011, 00:03   #6

Hi Tarquah

Be great to get a copy of these new laws. Although I can only read a bit of Spanish it'd be good documentation to keep on board for if I ever get stopped.

I picked up a mention of this on this trawling the internet last few days but still feel I may be open to 12% tax as a one of so am digging around looking for advive, will see an expert in Barce this week and keep you posted.

As regards updating the SSR I still hold a UK address so will try and use that but it isn't due for a while yet. You any relative/friend who could let you try it that way..?

Paul
Old 10-03-2011, 01:48   #7
Nearly an old salt

Matric tax has been removed for boats under 12m since 1st jan. I wasn't aware the registration requirement was removed also.

Dave
Old 12-03-2011, 01:23   #8

Boat: Cheoy Lee Trawler Yacht, 40ft
Re: UK SSR-Registered Boat, Now in Spain

Can anybody send me the link as to where I can get a copy of this new law regarding matriculation tax issue in Spain please. I have recently been approached by a local inspector with regards paying this 12% tax on my boat which is under 12m.
Fracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:41   #9

Hi everybody, sorry I took so long in answering:

La ley de presupuestos de 2011 cambia la Ley 38/1992, de 28 de diciembre, de Impuestos Especiales
"con efectos desde 1 de enero de 2011 y vigencia indefinida"

You can find the complet text here: http://noticias.juridicas.com/base_d...10.t6.html#a82

Here is an excerpt:

Se modifica la disposición adicional primera, que queda redactada de la siguiente forma:

Disposición adicional primera.

1. Deberán ser objeto de matriculación definitiva en España los medios de transporte, nuevos o usados, a que se refiere la presente Ley, cuando se destinen a ser utilizados en el territorio español por personas o entidades que sean residentes en España o que sean titulares de establecimientos situados en España.

2. Sin perjuicio de lo establecido en la normativa específica reguladora de la matriculación de medios de transporte, no será exigible el cumplimiento de la obligación prevista en el apartado anterior cuando, en relación con la exigencia del Impuesto Especial sobre Determinados Medios de Transporte establecida en la letra d) del número 1 del artículo 65 de esta Ley y dentro de los plazos establecidos en dicho precepto:

1. se haya autoliquidado e ingresado el impuesto, o bien
2. se haya solicitado de la Administración Tributaria el reconocimiento previo de la aplicación de un supuesto de no sujeción o de exención del impuesto, en los casos en que así esté previsto, o bien
3. se haya presentado una declaración ante la Administración Tributaria relativa a una exención del impuesto.

3. Sin perjuicio de lo establecido en la normativa específica reguladora de la matriculación de medios de transporte, tampoco será exigible el cumplimiento de la obligación prevista en el apartado 1 anterior cuando el impuesto correspondiente a esa sujeción haya sido objeto de liquidación por parte de la Administración Tributaria e ingresado el importe correspondiente.

4. Cuando se constate el incumplimiento de la obligación a que se refieren los apartados anteriores, los órganos de la Administración tributaria o los órganos competentes en materia de tráfico, seguridad vial, navegación o navegación aérea darán al obligado tributario un plazo de cinco días para cumplirla o para presentar aval solidario de entidad de crédito o sociedad de garantía recíproca o certificado de seguro de caución que garantice el pago del Impuesto Especial sobre Determinados Medios de Transporte. Transcurrido ese plazo sin que se produzca la matriculación definitiva o sin que se presente dicho aval o certificado, dichos órganos procederán a la inmovilización del medio de transporte hasta que se acredite la regularización de su situación administrativa y tributaria. No obstante, la inmovilización será levantada en el caso de que el obligado tributario presente aval solidario o certificado de seguro en los términos indicados.

PaulH30:
Quote:
You any relative/friend who could let you try it that way
The problem is that I don't know anybody in UK.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:09   #10
Nearly an old salt

I was not aware that the requirement for a spainish resident to register their boats in Spain has been lifted, where does it say that.

Dave
Old 13-03-2011, 00:12   #11

Boat: 5.2 metres,Skipper
Thumbs up Re: UK SSR-Registered Boat, Now in Spain

Hi Tarquah,ive picked up on the internet about the new law but want to confirm officially.I bought a 5.2 metre cathedral hull fishing boat with traler and 80 hp outboard recently.It was British owned and I have transferred the SSR registration to my name at my UK address.I am resident in Spain and only intend using the boat for inshore fishing.
Am i to understand that I do not need to matriculate this boat in Spain since this new law came in to force?Does this include the trailer and engine?
Your link you posted comes up with an error code.Maybe you could correct this.
Provided I have my bill of sale,SSR registration,insurance and personal identification can I now use my boat all year round legally in Spain?
Thanks,skadisman
Skadisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 01:11   #12

I don't know how to edit my post so I'm copying the new link here.

Ley 39/2010, de 22 de diciembre, de Presupuestos Generales del Estado para el año 2011.

Hi Skadisman

I don't know about a fishing boat I can have a look and see what I can find.
Old 13-03-2011, 01:49   #13
Nearly an old salt

As I understand it the requirement to pay the matric tax on boats under 12m has been removed, there are several references on the net ( it was declared illegal by the EU anyway) . I haven't found any reference to removing the need to register in Spain if you're a spanish resident though

Dave
Old 05-04-2011, 09:31   #14

Boat: Cheoy Lee Trawler Yacht, 40ft

Dave,

A link attached issued by a Spanish Yacht Lawyer FYI, I am still trying to find out that in the event you pay the MT then down the road some you decide to sell the boat is the MT transferrable with the boat or does the new owner have to pay it again.

Yacht Lawyer Group News | LinkedIn
Fracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 14:53   #15
Nearly an old salt

That would seem to state that once you have a EU flag there's. No need to reregister. Interesting.

Dave

Tags
Spain, spain