Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-10-2012, 18:47   #16
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: UK Part 1 registration via UK company by a non UK person

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSavage View Post
So basically, I could go sailing with Mr Joe Bloggs then whilst at sea, force him to sign a bill of sale and produce the UK part 1 registration document. Then bump him off and throw him overboard.............does that mean I have a brand new Oyster worth a couple of hundred thousand pounds?

Note to self: don't ask for crew positions on here for a while lol
Yes. But you wouldn't get away with it (for long) - for the same reasons that if you simply signed / forged the Bill of Sale yourself. (whether you dropped the owner over the side or not).

The UK part 1 Registration does not impact on that.

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 09:49   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSavage View Post
So basically, I could go sailing with Mr Joe Bloggs then whilst at sea, force him to sign a bill of sale and produce the UK part 1 registration document. Then bump him off and throw him overboard.............does that mean I have a brand new Oyster worth a couple of hundred thousand pounds?

Note to self: don't ask for crew positions on here for a while lol

Yes, it has been done before: Murder of Thomas and Jackie Hawks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 30-10-2012, 10:10   #18

What have I started? I'm sorry, I only said it tongue in cheek not understanding that it has actually happened
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
NYCSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 17:34   #19

Oh dear ... to make it bullet proof I will get a ship radio license too !
Old 12-12-2012, 02:43   #20

Holy crap ... company formation is worse then I thought. Anyone living in UK interested in forming a pseudo-joint-ownership ?
Old 12-12-2012, 03:33   #21
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Zonker

Do not form a UK company merely to avail of Part 1. Its a nightmare and the UK Revenue looks very sternly on Hobby companies or those that continue to make looses, you also have the issue of how the boats gets into the company in the first place. ( and that could take you over the VAT registration threshold).

Only do this if you intend to trade even minimally should you consider this. Furthermore since you vessel is in a commercial company it may therefore fall under the MCA regulations for commercial sail vessels and require MCA coding and certification.

Dave
Old 12-12-2012, 04:34   #22

Dave - if a company then it would be a Scottish LP which would do no business at all. Should be bullet proof - but the hassle with company formation is, these company service providers all look a little bit - well - not so trustworthy ... :-)
Old 12-12-2012, 04:56   #23
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonker View Post
Dave - if a company then it would be a Scottish LP which would do no business at all. Should be bullet proof - but the hassle with company formation is, these company service providers all look a little bit - well - not so trustworthy ... :-)
If you have good advice on this matter , I defer to your advisors. what I do know about SLPs. is that the tax falls through to the limited and general partners, hence you personally have to make returns to HM revenue, a further inconvenience. ( and can make you a tax resident)

Note as its an EU partnership you cannot avail of TIR in regards VAT

If the asset is transferred to the SLP , it will generally be over the VAT threshold, so forcing it to register for VAT. You need good advice here and it needs to be from someone that understand "new means of transport" VAT

Note that a LP is a commercial entity and MCA rules for such yachts may apply.

Equally benefit in kind rules apply to aasets held by LPs in their name, so that can generate a significant tax costs personally, unless you can show you are personally paying a charter fee ( which then nrings in MCA approval).

I know all this Ive done it, in general its not worth it, ( or do as many do and just break teh law)

Dave
Old 12-12-2012, 04:59   #24
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
but the hassle with company formation is
huh, any good commercial solicitor can do it for you

Dave
Old 12-12-2012, 05:07   #25

Well that lovely dinghy is worth may be 5-10k and only for "private" use ... :-) ... I know it's crazy but I have no other choice.

See that is why I was looking for a private partner - Part 1 allows joint-ownership containing non-eligible persons. That would be totally legal (?!). So if there is someone out there who needs a few quids for the yearly xmas shopping, let me know ... :-)
Old 12-12-2012, 05:09   #26
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well that lovely dinghy is worth may be 5-10k and only for "private" use ... :-) ... I know it's crazy but I have no other choice.

See that is why I was looking for a private partner - Part 1 allows joint-ownership containing non-eligible persons. So if there is someone out there who needs a few quids for the yearly xmas shopping, let me know ... :-)
why in the name of god are you Part1-ing a 5K dinghy. and why setting up a SLP , are you stark raving.......!. ( ps, no such thing as private use in a company, by definition that generates BIK).

find an address in the UK, SSR it. end of story.

Dave
Old 12-12-2012, 05:18   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
or do as many do and just break teh law
Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
find an address in the UK, SSR it. end of story.
Dave

See ... at some point things have to be kinda legal ... :-)

1. Boating in Europe coastal regions - you need to be able to proof ownership.

2. Insurance - that is may be the most critical part. Would be pretty awful if insurance would refuse to payout in case of a liability issue.

PS : Part 1 is also possible on a basis of a "private" ownership ... no need for a company.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:22   #28
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
See ... at some point things have to be kinda legal ... :-)

1. Boating in Europe coastal regions - you need to be able to proof ownership.
absolutely not, SSR is fine , Ive even used non-statutory documents. They dont care , its only the marina owners that want to ensure who you are. Where are you getting your info, ( and its not even a yacht)

Quote:
2. Insurance - that is may be the most critical part. Would be pretty awful if insurance would refuse to payout in case of a liability issue.
Whoa, you take out a contract with your insurance, they accept you arnt lying, they issue you insurance, that contract is binding , if you havent lied. Actually going down the SLP is much more likely to result in invalid insurance as you will in fact have to lie to get insurance.

Youd only go through what your doing if you robbed the thing, or someone was disputing ownership!!!!.

Sorry Zonker yours is a 1+1 =9 story , makes no sense and Ive been sailing Europe for nearly 3 decades now.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:26   #29
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
PS : Part 1 is also possible on a basis of a "private" ownership ... no need for a company.
Only if you are established in the UK or a EEA company, and if you are, you wouldnt need a SLP, You as a foreigner are not entitled to such register. You are expected to use your own national register.

Sorry Zonker , you dont seem to be making any sense as to why you are trying to "bend" all these rules.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:37   #30

Dave ... u have a PM ... 1+1=2 after all, but sometimes it's very costly ... :-)

Tags
registration

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: