Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2008, 11:08   #1

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36
UK flagged vessel with US owner

My fiancee is about to receive her US citizenship...we are both currently listed as owners on our British SSR-registered yacht. Does this pose any problems with sailing into the US?
caribcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2008, 12:48   #2

Boat: Boatless
Our boat is British registered and we have US passports. Never had a problem and we have a one year cruising permit for the boat. Just don't show them a US and a UK passport for the same person.

Phil
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2008, 12:57   #3

Boat: Looking with intent
Amen to that. When we enter the US it with their passport only. When we leave it is on our Italian ones. Life works much better that way.
Old 14-12-2008, 15:15   #4

Boat: Westsail 32

If you show Passport A coming in, and Passport B leaving, you may get the question I got: "Your passport doesn't have a stamp showing you entered. How did you get into the country?" at which point I had to confess to holding two passports and using them as convenient. Australian Passport Control did not like that one bit and told me next time I might not be allowed to leave. Yes, dual and triple citizenship has its advantages; just need to know when to show what.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 01:55   #5

Boat: Looking with intent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound View Post
If you show Passport A coming in, and Passport B leaving, you may get the question I got: "Your passport doesn't have a stamp showing you entered. How did you get into the country?" at which point I had to confess to holding two passports and using them as convenient. Australian Passport Control did not like that one bit and told me next time I might not be allowed to leave. Yes, dual and triple citizenship has its advantages; just need to know when to show what.
That is quite true. We show the Italian passports at ticket control for the airport as they want to see either a foreign national passport/visa or a return ticket to the US for US passport holders. Going pass US customs it is the US passport again as they don't check and don't ask questions if they see what they expect (nothing illegal, just not upsetting their little world view). Than at all other points and ports of entry we use the Italian passports though my wife has dependent papers and the UK is a bit of a pain in the back side there at certain airports (the home office nazi's forget that their government signed the EU accords often, it costs the UK a rather large amount of money each year for doing so).

The bothersome part is when any of the relatives visit they get a real going over by customs when they re-enter the US (must be the shrink rapped luggage). Though the BAA searches luggage without telling you that they have done it (in direct violation of of another set of EU and international accords, I know first person on that one).

Than again anyone who believes that the "security" at airports is anything other than a show and an excuse for more government subsidized job's and more fascism/big brother really needs to open their eyes and read history a bit and/or go look at the systems that where in place during, oh say; Stalin in the USSR.

As long as your wife keeps her EU citizenship (and if you can get yours all the better) and you keep notice of residency with the USCG on the vessel i don't think there should be any problem. I can be wrong though.

Hope the best for you and fair winds be to your backside as often as needed.

Michael
Old 15-12-2008, 10:26   #6

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36
Thanks, guys, I think Upside Down has reassured us. Fair winds to all your backsides too!

"Sex without love is a meaningless experience. As far as meaningless experiences go, its a pretty good one!" Woody Allen
caribcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 00:54   #7

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
I asked USCG in Hawaii about my Canadian Doc boat and that I'm Canadian and American. They told me I have one year then I pay import tax or have to leave and re-enter.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote