Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2006, 18:15   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
U.S. citizenship

It's my understanding that anyone born inside the US remains a US citizen unless they renounce that citizenship. I have heard from countless people that to retain ones citizenship they must return to US soil every 6 months or year ... sounds like an urban myth to me ... yet I haven't looked into this .... anybody got the straight skinny?

Bob & Lynn
Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2006, 06:01   #2
cruiser

Global myth. There is something similar though... often when VISITING a country you are required to leave for a certain period of time. This is probably where the myth originates.... people from the US returning home after having to leave the country they were visiting.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2006, 06:13   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
And, most jurisdictions require that you be present within the jurisdiction for a minimum of 183 days (6 months), in order to maintain residency* status.

* for tax & social benefit (etc) purposes

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2006, 10:48   #4

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien - 35ft
Send a message via Skype™ to cyclepro
Green card holders

The 183 day rule also applies for Green Card holders. One has to either obtain a permit to stay away longer than 183 days or pay a fine when re-entering the U.S.
cyclepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2006, 11:15   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Actually, it's not a fine but the reentry fees. My wife holds a green card and if she is out of the country more then a year she has to re-apply for permanant residence.

International Travel
A Permanent Resident of the United States can travel freely outside of the US. A passport from the country of citizenship is normally all that is needed. To reenter the US a Permanent Resident normally needs to present the green card (Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551) for readmission. A reentry permit is needed for reentry for trips greater than one year but less than two years in duration.

As for US citizenship, that can not be taken away with out being baned from the country.
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2006, 19:14   #6

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Domicile

Domicile is a nebulis concept when applied to taxation.
Everyone has a domicile of origin when applied to citizenship, and can be applied for taxation depending on many circumstances. The rules are different for landed immigrants who are not yet citizens, than those who are citizens, and can be different for domicile of origin citizens, and landed immigrants who have become citizens. The US remains one of the few places ( actually I can not think of any other ) who refer to landed immigrants as green card holders or resident aliens, and who also require that the aliens register every January.
The 183 day rules are usually for taxation purposes. My domicile of origin is Epsom, Surrey, England. When I go to England they do not seem to care if I have been lost in wonderland for 4 weeks, four months or 40 years.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 16:55   #7

Boat: No boat at present
Send a message via Yahoo to otgadventures
pirate Immigration forms needed? Vetted paperwork to avoid having to go in person.

Help please...
I know we need a $25 sticker on boat to come back to the good ol' USA, but I just heard about some sort of paperwork we can do to get a number that is somehow pre-vetted so we can just call in and not have to go to an immigration office? Any info? Thanks.