Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2006, 18:15   #1
Registered User
Wahoo Sails's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marathon, Florida
Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
Posts: 353
Images: 16
U.S. citizenship

It's my understanding that anyone born inside the US remains a US citizen unless they renounce that citizenship. I have heard from countless people that to retain ones citizenship they must return to US soil every 6 months or year ... sounds like an urban myth to me ... yet I haven't looked into this .... anybody got the straight skinny?

Bob & Lynn

Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2006, 06:01   #2

Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 4,525
Global myth. There is something similar though... often when VISITING a country you are required to leave for a certain period of time. This is probably where the myth originates.... people from the US returning home after having to leave the country they were visiting.

ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2006, 06:13   #3
Moderator Emeritus
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 32,218
Images: 240
And, most jurisdictions require that you be present within the jurisdiction for a minimum of 183 days (6 months), in order to maintain residency* status.

* for tax & social benefit (etc) purposes
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2006, 10:48   #4
Registered User
cyclepro's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sailing Central America
Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien - 35ft
Posts: 102
Images: 7
Send a message via Skype™ to cyclepro
Green card holders

The 183 day rule also applies for Green Card holders. One has to either obtain a permit to stay away longer than 183 days or pay a fine when re-entering the U.S.
cyclepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2006, 11:15   #5
Senior Cruiser
delmarrey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Now in Blaine, WA
Boat: Modified Choate 40
Posts: 10,736
Images: 122
Actually, it's not a fine but the reentry fees. My wife holds a green card and if she is out of the country more then a year she has to re-apply for permanant residence.

International Travel
A Permanent Resident of the United States can travel freely outside of the US. A passport from the country of citizenship is normally all that is needed. To reenter the US a Permanent Resident normally needs to present the green card (Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551) for readmission. A reentry permit is needed for reentry for trips greater than one year but less than two years in duration.

As for US citizenship, that can not be taken away with out being baned from the country.
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2006, 19:14   #6
Registered User
BC Mike's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gabriola BC
Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Posts: 1,034
Images: 5

Domicile is a nebulis concept when applied to taxation.
Everyone has a domicile of origin when applied to citizenship, and can be applied for taxation depending on many circumstances. The rules are different for landed immigrants who are not yet citizens, than those who are citizens, and can be different for domicile of origin citizens, and landed immigrants who have become citizens. The US remains one of the few places ( actually I can not think of any other ) who refer to landed immigrants as green card holders or resident aliens, and who also require that the aliens register every January.
The 183 day rules are usually for taxation purposes. My domicile of origin is Epsom, Surrey, England. When I go to England they do not seem to care if I have been lost in wonderland for 4 weeks, four months or 40 years.
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 16:55   #7
Registered User
otgadventures's Avatar

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Maine
Boat: No boat at present
Posts: 76
Images: 22
Send a message via Yahoo to otgadventures
pirate Immigration forms needed? Vetted paperwork to avoid having to go in person.

Help please...
I know we need a $25 sticker on boat to come back to the good ol' USA, but I just heard about some sort of paperwork we can do to get a number that is somehow pre-vetted so we can just call in and not have to go to an immigration office? Any info? Thanks.

To study the phenomenon of disease without books is to sail an uncharted sea, while to study books without patients is not to go to sea at all.
Sir William Osler (1849 - 1919)
otgadventures is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thinking Cuba ? Think Again ! bobola Health, Safety & Related Gear 116 31-01-2015 06:38
S. Florida Clear-In GordMay Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 1 23-07-2004 03:40
Available - U.S. West Coast cbare Crew Archives 0 04-06-2003 07:02

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:10.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.