Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2018, 11:09   #31

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft
Re: Turks & Caicos stiffing it to yachters

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I used to travel all over the world due to my job, and even as a Retired Military Officer and of course a citizen, it was always returning to the US that was the most hassle and often had the rudest customs officials.
Actually they werenít bad when they were Customs, it was after the formation of Homeland Security and they became the CBP, that was when they got bad.
Being somewhat of a history buff, just the name Homeland makes me nervous.
We checked into west Palm Beach from the Bahamas as a Canadian vessel and found the CBP people courteous, efficient and friendly. A fun experience using the word fun rather loosely😊

Jim

Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:35   #32

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 40 ft "Camp David

First off let me say I love America and most Americans. Second if you live in America donít think you are over taxed. If anyone thinks that they are over taxes they are showing a true lack of knowledge of the world.

Lastly and perhaps most importantly YACHTS and Yachting have always been and most likely always will be, for the wealthy.

I have traveled a bit and I am sure nobody has it perfect. Not even The President of the USA.

Time to get real

Fletch

CampDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:41   #33

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
Any body remember when this forum was friendly, helpful and informative? Now it mostly attacks, insults and arguments.......kind of like our current administration.
No, itís honest like our current administration.

That is far more compassionate than the alternative.

Respectfully
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:47   #34
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Any body remember when this forum was friendly, helpful and informative? Now it mostly attacks, insults and arguments.......kind of like our current administration.
I'm still stinging from a couple of years ago when it got "too friendly" to really be helpful and a lot of the regular members left.

But this thread really was a rant from the start and I don't really know what response is friendly for such a thing.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:00   #35
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Turks & Caicos stiffing it to yachters

Quote:
Nope.. I've been a cranky miserable ole git since 2010.. and I've the posts to prove it.

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 13:07   #36

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Its hard to complain about a few hundred dollars when you live on a YACHT.

My local municipal marina feels the same way. We own yachts. We are so rich we have big pleasure boats. So we can pay. And pay. And pay. They aren't entirely wrong.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 13:50   #37

Cruise to countries that appreciate your business, like the BVI. Never been there but my guess is that Turks & Caicos can make more money ripping off two or three millionaires who arrive in there private jets than deal with a few dozen yachties. Yachties are just a nuisance to them. Have you checked on the ramp charges to park your Gulfstream for a week and refuel it with Jet-A?
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 14:01   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Cruise to countries that appreciate your business, like the BVI. Never been there but my guess is that Turks & Caicos can make more money ripping off two or three millionaires who arrive in there private jets than deal with a few dozen yachties. Yachties are just a nuisance to them. Have you checked on the ramp charges to park your Gulfstream for a week and refuel it with Jet-A?
Are you saying you think the BVIs is a cheap place to cruise? Overrun with charter boats, paid moorings fill the best anchorage, shoreline caters to vacationing charters with over priced meals and trinkets............
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 14:18   #39

Yes, Paul I am saying that. Moorings is down 140 boats and chartering in general is down 40%, if that's your only criteria for cruising. For the regularly people of the BVI tourism is their only economy and virtually all of the high-end resorts are down for at least a year and living on their business interruption and loss of income insurance. Well paying financial industries are mostly unavailable to locals. Many of the small charter companies have gone out of business. Most of the places that cruising yachties would like to go are up and running while crowds or down.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 15:12   #40
cruiser

Boat: 32 contessa
Thumbs up Re: Turks & Caicos stiffing it to yachters

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
So... don't go... and don't whine about it.

The Bahamas are $300 for me for a cruising permit--EVEN IF I STAY 24 HOURS. People go there all the time. We love TCI when we were there last year. It was worth it. We had a good time.
AGREE 100%
Robert Tilbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 15:14   #41
cruiser

Boat: 32 contessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
No, itís honest like our current administration.

That is far more compassionate than the alternative.

Respectfully
TRUMP
HOORAH !
Thank god KILLERY didnt win i would have been beheaded ,,,,, HAHAHAHA .
Robert Tilbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 15:40   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Yes, Paul I am saying that. Moorings is down 140 boats and chartering in general is down 40%, if that's your only criteria for cruising. For the regularly people of the BVI tourism is their only economy and virtually all of the high-end resorts are down for at least a year and living on their business interruption and loss of income insurance. Well paying financial industries are mostly unavailable to locals. Many of the small charter companies have gone out of business. Most of the places that cruising yachties would like to go are up and running while crowds or down.
I haven't cruised in the BVIs post the latest hurricane damage. No doubt it is less crowded, probably only temporary. We certainly enjoyed the BVIs, it just isn't anywhere near the top or middle of the low cost cruising countries list that we've been to.
Old 09-05-2018, 16:12   #43

Boat: Adios 33ft Burgess Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Nope.. I've been a cranky miserable ole git since 2010.. and I've the posts to prove it.
Yes, so am I. The world has sure changed and I'm kind of glad that at 74 I'll be off the planet soon. I think GPS/Sat nav allowed too many people to cruise, maybe even fibreglass too. What would Eric and Susan Hiscock have to say if they were still around ?..... there are many people cruising who have never heard of them, I've asked.
When we visited Jamaica 18 years ago it was free in and out but we had to pay protection money to Presley, Tony Macaroni, Leroy Brown and Moses !!!
picklesandjesse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 16:46   #44

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
The times they are a changin'

The '60s were a heyday for cruising. There were few blue water cruisers, and they were often met with generous welcomes. Also, cruising was affordable to the middle class, for the few who were willing. No one thought of charging for anchoring, or for many other services. And the Caribbean Islands became a tourist mecca as a result of the publicity and word-of-mouth of sailors. But those days are long gone, and while we may mourn the loss we have to live in our times.

Today, while it is easier than ever to go cruising, it is also more expensive - and less affordable to the middle class. Increasingly governments charge for their services - a trend begun (as best I can tell) in the U.S. with the Reagan administration, and spreading pretty much everywhere. For me the extreme example is the UK's Met Office charging for weather forecasts for a day or two out - really?? - but they are not alone. Now there are charges for anchoring, and establishment of no-anchor zones (often in traditional anchorages) to benefit nearby marinas and homeowners. Moorings are justified in popular anchorages so that more boats can enjoy them, but that has been abused. Customs fees and cruising permits are more common and more expensive than ever. That is just the reality of cruising today, and it stinks - but today is when we are living; there is no choice to go back half a century. And these costs are, for most cruisers, a very small part of the total for the enterprise. If you want to cry in your beer, and get commiseration from your fellow cruisers, fine. But this is the world we live in, so don't waste a lot of time complaining as it will do no good. There are now, and will be more in the future, places that are out of the financial reach for some or many of us - just reality. Still, cruising is a wonderful, and overall inexpensive, lifestyle so enjoy that.

The argument that we shouldn't have to pay fees because we spend money is pretty weak. On the one hand we do benefit from government services (including rubbish removal), and on the other we often don't spend much money. I admit that when finding overpriced restaurants I simply would eat on the boat, often with food purchased elsewhere, to no benefit to the locals. Certainly few cruising boats leave nearly as much money behind as a common tourist couple staying in a hotel, so why should they cater to us?

My advice is simply to avoid the places that are charging more than the expected experience justifies, and then pay and enjoy the places that are worth it (even if expensive, e.g. Croatia).

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 16:55   #45
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The times they are a changin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
The '60s were a heyday for cruising. There were few blue water cruisers, and they were often met with generous welcomes. Also, cruising was affordable to the middle class, for the few who were willing. No one thought of charging for anchoring, or for many other services. And the Caribbean Islands became a tourist mecca as a result of the publicity and word-of-mouth of sailors. But those days are long gone, and while we may mourn the loss we have to live in our times.

Today, while it is easier than ever to go cruising, it is also more expensive - and less affordable to the middle class. Increasingly governments charge for their services - a trend begun (as best I can tell) in the U.S. with the Reagan administration, and spreading pretty much everywhere. For me the extreme example is the UK's Met Office charging for weather forecasts for a day or two out - really?? - but they are not alone. Now there are charges for anchoring, and establishment of no-anchor zones (often in traditional anchorages) to benefit nearby marinas and homeowners. Moorings are justified in popular anchorages so that more boats can enjoy them, but that has been abused. Customs fees and cruising permits are more common and more expensive than ever. That is just the reality of cruising today, and it stinks - but today is when we are living; there is no choice to go back half a century. And these costs are, for most cruisers, a very small part of the total for the enterprise. If you want to cry in your beer, and get commiseration from your fellow cruisers, fine. But this is the world we live in, so don't waste a lot of time complaining as it will do no good. There are now, and will be more in the future, places that are out of the financial reach for some or many of us - just reality. Still, cruising is a wonderful, and overall inexpensive, lifestyle so enjoy that.

The argument that we shouldn't have to pay fees because we spend money is pretty weak. On the one hand we do benefit from government services (including rubbish removal), and on the other we often don't spend much money. I admit that when finding overpriced restaurants I simply would eat on the boat, often with food purchased elsewhere, to no benefit to the locals. Certainly few cruising boats leave nearly as much money behind as a common tourist couple staying in a hotel, so why should they cater to us?

My advice is simply to avoid the places that are charging more than the expected experience justifies, and then pay and enjoy the places that are worth it (even if expensive, e.g. Croatia).

Greg
A bitter pill with no sugar coating for sure.. for the newbies who've not found the crumbs remaining that I'm staying sthum about..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht