Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2016, 12:07   #16

Boat: KP44 #279
Re: Trying to get into Mexico but boat has an active TIP from previous owner

Oh yea, two other notes or maybe three.
1) At first they wanted an affidavit stating I lost the TIP. To get this they wanted me to go to the Central Police Station and make that statement and get it notarized. I couldn't even imagine what a nightmare that would be to accomplish so I ask them; "You want me to go to the Police and Lie and get that Lie notarized as an affidavit?" At first she said "Well it's only a small white lie" but then they backed off of that affidavit need.
2) Aduana wanted the boat physically there, Ensenada. I had to point out that I wasn't going to unlawfully bring my boat into MX without having a proper TIP. They also backed down on that.
3) You better hope that the PO checked out of MX or that might be a problem!
4) Smile, be happy and polite no matter how frustrated you get!
Dwain
dlentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 12:23   #17

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

Does a boat need a TIP from every port country to cruise the world?
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 12:30   #18

Boat: Seafarer36c

Some do for cars but I can't think of any others down south that do for your boat.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 12:38   #19

Boat: Hunter 44ds

Thanks all, who knew it would be so hard to get IN to Mexico

SV Prism (svprism.com) had a similar issue last year, at Ensenada they were able to just take the old TIP to another building, and get it cancelled, then they were able to create a new one in their name. However, i contacted Baja Naval Marina in Ensenada to try to verify that this would work, and they told me some scary news:
Regarding the TIP, before you could cancelled by showing the old TIP and you could get the new one. For reasons that I do not know the government change the rule to cancel the TIP. The new rule says in order to cancel the TIP you need to bring the departure document (check out), Original TIP, copy of passport of the person who imported the vessel and the person who imported the vessel has to be present(Owner).
This seems insane, and would block a lot of boats from entering Mexico... ever.

I'll be trying to get in contact with Latitude 38 folks and other people in Mexico to try to figure this out. Will report what i find.
SailAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 13:06   #20
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Here is what you DON'T want to do/try.

Don't just toss that TIP away and act like it doesn't exist and get a new one when you check into Mexico. Many things are not computerized in Mexico..but Aduana TIPs are and when you go to get a new TIP their computers will flag it and...Aye Mucho Problema.

We had one boat for sale in a Marina in Mazatlan while we were bringing down our new boat and when I tried to get the TIP...ChaChing....
So we had to import the second boat on under the my wife as Captain, since you are only allowed one TIP per person.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 18:53   #21

Boat: Hunter 44ds

Here's what I got so far:

To cancel the previous owner's TIP the boat must be in Mexico. This is because the boat needs to go through a "check out" process which the previous owner never did.

To complete the check out process I need to bring the boat, original TIP, Bill of Sale, Previous owner's passport copy (not sure why), my registration to either the Ensenada or La Paz port.

Cabo doesn't handle TIP's, so since i'd be doing the Baja Haha rally which stops in Cabo as the first official port of call, I could have the owner sign a letter stating that he allows me to use his boat in Mexican waters, and show that along with his TIP which will still be active. This way i can clear in Cabo, and then go to La Paz to complete the TIP cancellation and creation.

I think the best thing for me to do is to go to Ensenada and take care of this before I go to San Diego for the Haha start. This is dependent on weather etc. Otherwise I'll just go to Cabo and use the previous owner's TIP and authorization letter to clear into port, then go to La Paz, who wants to stay in Cabo anyway.

This was confirmed by Dick Markie of Paradise Village, Yolanda of Eco Naveria, SV Prism (who had this problem last year). I'm still waiting on Fito to confirm.
SailAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 19:36   #22

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailAllDay View Post
Here's what I got so far:

To cancel the previous owner's TIP the boat must be in Mexico. This is because the boat needs to go through a "check out" process which the previous owner never did.

To complete the check out process I need to bring the boat, original TIP, Bill of Sale, Previous owner's passport copy (not sure why), my registration to either the Ensenada or La Paz port.

Cabo doesn't handle TIP's, so since i'd be doing the Baja Haha rally which stops in Cabo as the first official port of call, I could have the owner sign a letter stating that he allows me to use his boat in Mexican waters, and show that along with his TIP which will still be active. This way i can clear in Cabo, and then go to La Paz to complete the TIP cancellation and creation.

I think the best thing for me to do is to go to Ensenada and take care of this before I go to San Diego for the Haha start. This is dependent on weather etc. Otherwise I'll just go to Cabo and use the previous owner's TIP and authorization letter to clear into port, then go to La Paz, who wants to stay in Cabo anyway.

This was confirmed by Dick Markie of Paradise Village, Yolanda of Eco Naveria, SV Prism (who had this problem last year). I'm still waiting on Fito to confirm.
I just asked my boatie partner about what he did. He confirms what you have stated but he did not need the previous owner's passport copy. You might need that, along with your letter and all the remaining paperwork to clear in in Cabo.

Tags
Mexico