Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2019, 09:41   #106

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft
Re: Trump looking to simplify regulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailndoug View Post
The most accurate rule applied when dealing with Trump in discussion forums is the Dunning-Kruger effect< We're all f#(k~d!
In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people of low ability have illusory superiority and mistakenly assess their cognitive ability as greater than it is. The cognitive bias of illusory superiority comes from the metacognitive inability of low-ability people to recognize their lack of ability; without the self-awareness of metacognition, low-ability people cannot objectively evaluate their actual competence or incompetence.[1] On the other hand, people of high ability incorrectly assume that tasks that are easy for them are also easy for other people.[2]

There's something to this - just add an overdeveloped sense of fear, a homogeneous semi-rural life experience, and years of watching fake news. Unfortunately, most people really don't think for themselves. MAGA.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 09:52   #107

Boat: Trapper 300

Yeah, last summer I noticed that around Martha's Vineyard we have the USCG, Mass Department of Environmental Police, Local police, County police, and the Sheriff's Dept. all running around in there brand new "police special" inflatables. What a waste of money, to say nothing of their boating skills.....
heron237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 10:44   #108

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by heron237 View Post
Yeah, last summer I noticed that around Martha's Vineyard we have the USCG, Mass Department of Environmental Police, Local police, County police, and the Sheriff's Dept. all running around in there brand new "police special" inflatables. What a waste of money, to say nothing of their boating skills.....
One of the things that strikes me about American life is how heavily policed y'all are down there, at least compared to Canada. This is what strikes me when travelling in your wonderful country — just how common the police and military presence really is.

It’s little wonder this spills over to the water as well.
Old 17-02-2019, 11:10   #109

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser

Trump is going to create the best marine rules, the best that has ever been created. How will we know, he'll tell us.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 11:24   #110

Boat: Casacde 36

In all my years of teaching, sailing, as a USCG captain, Ive observed that you've generally got to be doing something blatantly stupid to attract their attention. So, why not just wise up and avoid the hassle?
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 16:50   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
Stumbling across this thread is like passing a particularly gory car wreck.

People who don't understand basic economics should not make fools of themselves by acting like they do. It's kind of like the marina go-fer starting to fix diesels because, hey, he has always been interested in them.

And no, watching Fox News or MSNBC does not qualify as learning about economics. Neither does listening to the guy two stools down at the bar or reading posts on your local right-wing/militia web site.

Ya gotta crack open serious books from the library, maybe go to school at night. If you don't, you come off as one of those dumb people who think they know everything.

Smart people know what they don't know. And they learn to ask questions until they understand.

Ya need to stick to sailing. Just saying.
I know enough to have retired at 50. I guess if I knew more, I could have retired at 40 or even 30.
Old 17-02-2019, 17:58   #112

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
Trump is going to create the best marine rules, the best that has ever been created. How will we know, he'll tell us.
...because he knows more about maritime rules than anyone...perhaps in all of history. [emoji6]
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 18:17   #113

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
One of the things that strikes me about American life is how heavily policed y'all are down there, at least compared to Canada.

Sadly you are correct and there are a number of reasons for this, and I apologize for going off topic. Three of the biggest factors are what we in the military call Mission Creep, the "criminal justice" industry, and the nature of bureaucracy.

Mission creep is when you are tasked with a mission, but the mission keeps expanding. In this case the mission is law enforcement, but the area of responsibilities and in particular the number of laws and regulations keep growing (much like a cancer!).

The criminal justice industry keeps growing thus it needs more and more police, judges, lawyers, and associated apparatchiks. In order to justify this they have to have more arrests and issue more tickets, so they can show us how they are "protecting" us. The financial benefits to the municipalities are tremendous and every agency has discovered this. The benefits include fines, overtime, more union jobs, etc.

The nature of bureaucracy is such that they are rewarded for growth, not for showing a profit, a savings, etc.

A great example of this is the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. They are responsible for the ports of NY and NJ. They have morphed into an extremely large (and out of control) organization that now includes airports, bridges and tunnels, bus terminals, etc. They have even gotten into industrial parks and real estate. Naturally, they need their own police force!

Originally the Port Authority police were only going to handle the quirky issue of law enforcement between NY and NJ. Unsurprisingly they now handle the vast real estate holdings of the Port Authority that were previously handled by the local police.

The events of 11 September 2001 provided a huge boost to the ever increasing police presence. Everyone received anti-terror funds and therefore they had to find some way to spend it. Why not get police boats? Why not get SWAT units? With these they then had to issue more tickets to show everyone how they are keeping us safe, regardless of whether or not the tickets have anything to do with terror.

I could go on (and on) but I again apologize for going off topic. I guess I can simply say that if the President simplifies regulations, hopefully it will result in a little less policing but I am not holding my breath.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 18:21   #114

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01kiwijohn View Post
In all my years of teaching, sailing, as a USCG captain, Ive observed that you've generally got to be doing something blatantly stupid to attract their attention. So, why not just wise up and avoid the hassle?

That's true to an extent, although it doesn't hold true for the random "safety" checks. I've also noticed that my power boat friends get stopped far more often than I and may sailing friends to.

I've also noticed that local police, at least by the city, I mean in the Northeast around NYC, are far more likely to stop someone than the USCG.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 18:43   #115

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
That's true to an extent, although it doesn't hold true for the random "safety" checks. I've also noticed that my power boat friends get stopped far more often than I and may sailing friends to.

I've also noticed that local police, at least by the city, I mean in the Northeast around NYC, are far more likely to stop someone than the USCG.
Yes, its rare to get stopped on a sail boat. My theory is that most sailors are reasonably knowledgeable and prepared...most small power boaters not so much.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 19:20   #116

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Sadly you are correct and there are a number of reasons for this, and I apologize for going off topic. Three of the biggest factors are what we in the military call Mission Creep, the "criminal justice" industry, and the nature of bureaucracy.

Mission creep is when you are tasked with a mission, but the mission keeps expanding. In this case the mission is law enforcement, but the area of responsibilities and in particular the number of laws and regulations keep growing (much like a cancer!).

The criminal justice industry keeps growing thus it needs more and more police, judges, lawyers, and associated apparatchiks. In order to justify this they have to have more arrests and issue more tickets, so they can show us how they are "protecting" us. The financial benefits to the municipalities are tremendous and every agency has discovered this. The benefits include fines, overtime, more union jobs, etc.

The nature of bureaucracy is such that they are rewarded for growth, not for showing a profit, a savings, etc.

A great example of this is the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. They are responsible for the ports of NY and NJ. They have morphed into an extremely large (and out of control) organization that now includes airports, bridges and tunnels, bus terminals, etc. They have even gotten into industrial parks and real estate. Naturally, they need their own police force!

Originally the Port Authority police were only going to handle the quirky issue of law enforcement between NY and NJ. Unsurprisingly they now handle the vast real estate holdings of the Port Authority that were previously handled by the local police.

The events of 11 September 2001 provided a huge boost to the ever increasing police presence. Everyone received anti-terror funds and therefore they had to find some way to spend it. Why not get police boats? Why not get SWAT units? With these they then had to issue more tickets to show everyone how they are keeping us safe, regardless of whether or not the tickets have anything to do with terror.

I could go on (and on) but I again apologize for going off topic. I guess I can simply say that if the President simplifies regulations, hopefully it will result in a little less policing but I am not holding my breath.
I once worked with a commercial lawyer who I enjoyed a morning coffee with before commencing work. One day the subject of early release of criminals on parole who re-offend came up. He explained to me that one of the reasons it occurred was that to the criminal justice system a criminal in prison was a wasted resource. The explanation that followed pretty well matched the reasons you gave in your post.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 19:34   #117

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Agreed. I’ve very rarely been “safety checked”, but I’ve watched power boats anchored right beside me, displaying no probable cause that I can discern, get approached and boarded by various LEOs, all while leaving me alone. There’s clear profiling going on here .

BTW, I agree with your analysis around the expansion of police. I think your characterization of the "criminal justice industry” is most apt.
Old 17-02-2019, 19:56   #118

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Hate to burst your bubble but the US standard of Syllabus and Testing for commercial Masters fall far bellow that of their European, Canadian and Indian counterparts, both in written and oral examinations.

Started after WW II when they really needed to build up the US Merchant fleet and lowered the standards to accommodate.
That was my point - the administration is dumbing everything down to a level that a child can understand and not making anything great. I see this happen a lot in my business - "easy" or "simpler" doesn't necessarily make something better. I didn't mean to imply otherwise.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 00:31   #119
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
That was my point - the administration is dumbing everything down to a level that a child can understand and not making anything great. I see this happen a lot in my business - "easy" or "simpler" doesn't necessarily make something better. I didn't mean to imply otherwise.
The saving Grace is that it is up to the individual to apply hard study and due diligence to become really good at their trade.
Mariners who just put in the bare minimum to qualify for a command ticket, then play the Company Game are just plain sad.

I have met many great US captains who never stopped learning and matured into outstanding leaders at sea.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
regulations, rum