Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2018, 20:27   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Trump looking to simplify regulations

Pres D Trump is looking to simplify maritime operating regulations....

Trump White House Seeking Public Comment on Which Maritime Regulations to Remove – gCaptain

There has been some comment in this forum about interference from municipal and state police on federal waterways in the US. This might be our chance to do something concrete about getting them off our water, in favour of USCG patroling.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 21:17   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Trump looking to simplify regulations

I am pretty sure the focus for the administration is to build up the US merchant fleet by making them more competative.
Easing manning and safety requirements to Asian standards plus judicious applications of the Jones Act for ships exporting US fuel and other US strategic products will be their direction.
I imagine tightening of homeland security (especially around Maro Largo) will be the effect on yachts.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 22:18   #3

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Mentioning trump invokes Godwin's law doesn't it?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 22:23   #4

Godwin's rule supposedly applies to any on-line discussion. It's rubbish.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 04:43   #5

I have a friend who honestly believed that within a year of his election Trump would open up concentration camps and start WWIII. So, very much unlike Hitler in that regard!

There. That takes care of Godwin's Law.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 05:06   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Denverdon

Everyone knows deep state is slowing things down.
Old 25-05-2018, 06:35   #7

Boat: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I have a friend who honestly believed that within a year of his election Trump would open up concentration camps and start WWIII. So, very much unlike Hitler in that regard!

There. That takes care of Godwin's Law.
I had a friend who honestly believed that Obama was the anti-christ, and his election was the start of the end times. I tried to tell her that the anti-christ was hanging out and doing tequila shots with santa claus, but she said santa claus wasn't real. Go figure...
Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 06:40   #8

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon

I think if they don't pass any more regulations they will be doing good. Just a thought ..

NO Santa hummmm.
Old 25-05-2018, 07:23   #9

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I am pretty sure the focus for the administration is to build up the US merchant fleet by making them more competative.
Easing manning and safety requirements to Asian standards plus judicious applications of the Jones Act for ships exporting US fuel and other US strategic products will be their direction.
I imagine tightening of homeland security (especially around Maro Largo) will be the effect on yachts.
That's a pretty good guess - I bet it will be reducing minimum manning/safety regulations + maybe removing some environmental restrictions around marine mammals/waste dumping in order to 'increase competitiveness'

Quote:
The White House’s Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs is seeking public input on how the federal government can reduce the regulatory burdens imposed on the maritime sector as part of the Trump Administration’s broad plan to deregulate American industries.

The RFI seeks public comment on how existing federal agency requirements affecting the maritime sector can be modified or repealed in an effort to “increase efficiency, reduce or eliminate unnecessary or unjustified regulatory burdens, or simplify regulatory compliance while continuing to meet statutory missions,” the request states.
Old 25-05-2018, 08:07   #10

Boat: Casacde 36

I suspect that their emphasis will be on the myriad of overlapping and redundant regulations concerning commercial traffic but, having said that, I hope they do expend some effort on these local, on the water, "enforcement" agencies. Oftentimes well meaning, but incompetent, operators attempting to justify the expenditure of public funds on an ostentatious patrol boat of some type, long lusted after by the head of such agencies.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 08:28   #11

Boat: OuterReef 80 and 32’ Armstrong Cat fishing boat

Many of the current requirements do not enhance operational safety but require operators to expend additional resources when compared to other nations maritime regulations.
Alaskancruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 08:47   #12

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01kiwijohn View Post
I suspect that their emphasis will be on the myriad of overlapping and redundant regulations concerning commercial traffic but, having said that, I hope they do expend some effort on these local, on the water, "enforcement" agencies. Oftentimes well meaning, but incompetent, operators attempting to justify the expenditure of public funds on an ostentatious patrol boat of some type, long lusted after by the head of such agencies.
I second this. Here in the NYC/Hudson River area we have numerous policing agencies that collected a lot of "anti-terror" money. They bought patrol boats to cruise up and down their little section of waterfront. They never stop to ask if we've seen anything suspicious but they sure do love to stop a family puttering along, minding their own business. They then justify the spending of the "anti-terror" money by showing how many stops they made. One day an acquaintance of mine, with his family, was stopped seven times on a thirty mile trip up the Hudson to go for lunch.

This is not an isolated incident although most people don't get stopped quite that often. Nonetheless, it is a waste of our time and out tax dollars.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 08:56   #13

Boat: Pearson 10M

Keep in mind that the government's version of "simplify" and the usual usage of the word may be quite different. To put it another way, " I am from the government and I am here to help you". Believable? You decide.

My experiences with the Federal government are:
1) Bad
2) Worse than that
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 09:04   #14
Marine Service Provider

The SHERIFF is the ONLY lawful police authority in the county because he is ELECTED. When someone works security for a corporation they are Rent-a-cops. Last I knew ALL municipalities are incorporated making all these rent-a-cops traitors for violating the Constitution. AND when was the last time they had jurisdiction, The law requires proof of jurisdiction to appear on the record of the administrative agency and all administration proceedings,” Hagans v. Lavine, 415 U.S. 533 ? Which makes ANY stop unlawful, meaning kid napping, aggravated assault, impersonating a peace office, declaration of an emergency when none exists, criminal threatening and fraud for using tax payers dollars for person gain.
wtmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 09:07   #15
Marine Service Provider

Also Trump should have Nikki Haley inform the countries of the world that all American vessels are sovereign and the captain and crew are within their rights to defend themselves from pirates using firearms and that those forearms will stay on the vessel so the host country is not threatened to be overthrown.
wtmf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
regulations, rum