Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-05-2013, 12:59   #106
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Traveling abroad without a passport

I find it amassing that any vessel owner/captain would be stupid enough to take him along without a passport unless he pays dearly. Then the captain would not only be stupid, but greedy as well.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 13:01   #107
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1977 Pearson 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mai-tide View Post
I thought this forum is to inform people. By the looks of thing it's filled with haters, idiots and trolls.
That is what people say whenever they don't get the advice that they want.

Your question really boils down to "How can my 'brother-n-law' avoid his responsibilities and still travel as if he had?" The overwhelming answer was that he can't.

Yes, I hate people who do everything in their power to avoid paying their taxes and child support obligations are. No, it doesn't matter what elaborate story they whip up regarding the reason for the child support neglect.

Old 29-05-2013, 13:11   #108

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Read the whole thread, you will see that this bloke actually did the right thing by his kid.Bureaucracy has as well as some here turned him into a demon.
Old 29-05-2013, 13:16   #109
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnExCorp View Post
This is all very nice:

But, the the real truth is that there are Illegal's, in that of "Every Country," all over the World! "Albeit, they try to negate that problem as best that they can -with such measures as that so outlined - But, No country, big or that of small, has that of a Electric/other fence around its circumference!

Not that of an advocate - either way! But, this naivety, with regards to such, is utter nonsense - If your in the know, and you wish to be under the radar, with that of money/resources, there are all kinds of ways that an country may be that of: Exploited!

Domesticated, Civilized, and an obedient-populace - see the world in that of a rosy color -But, for that of Operatives/other, this world, for them, is a much different kind of objective: Having one's "specific" identity found - is not exactly, what their looking fore - But, for that of the Majority: They like "the feeling" of that of some measure of relative-Safety, and that of Security -For which, is quite right - In its "Objective!" But, for the most part - All to Elusive - And, what more, "they" already know it!

Obviously, he is not that of DEA, FBI, CIA, NSA, Delta force/Seal -KGB/cartel -other?

He's, this B.I.L., is just that of an innocent man -relitively speaking, with that of inncocent objectives, all the while, found with limited funding!

1 Example: Home State!

(
James Joseph "
Whitey
"
Bulger
, Jr. (born September 3, 1929) is a former organized crime figure, now fugitive, from South Boston, Massachusetts
)

D.T.
YVR -OGG!
I am certain that Whitey is not a fugitive, Anymore! lol
Old 29-05-2013, 13:18   #110
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'

I have friend that had a similar experience with child support people in CA, when he was starting out, had a family to feed, went out looking for work, in the meantime the wife filed for food stamps, until he got work. 50 years later, the state of CA came after him for child support plus insane interest, and he and his wife are still married, never divorced. He ended up paying $800, that he didn't owe, just to get them off of his back and tangling up his life. And his is not the only case I have heard of. Systems get put into place and then the people administering the systems are not empowered to adjust the systems to help the citizens, so it becomes punative regardless of the circumstances.
Old 30-05-2013, 21:01   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous7500 View Post
That is what people say whenever they don't get the advice that they want.

Your question really boils down to "How can my 'brother-n-law' avoid his responsibilities and still travel as if he had?" The overwhelming answer was that he can't.

Yes, I hate people who do everything in their power to avoid paying their taxes and child support obligations are. No, it doesn't matter what elaborate story they whip up regarding the reason for the child support neglect.
Friend, I think you are majorly mis-reading the original thread. The original question was can/should the BIL do this. From there it devolved into 8 pages of commentary on Child Support, Paying Taxes and the personality of the Bil.

Its hard to not to sympathize with his frustration on all the commentary about someone we know little/nothing about.
Old 30-05-2013, 21:19   #112

Boat: Beneteau First 38

Just a stupid question....
But doesn't the skipper have to check is crew out of the country, so he has departure documents when entering another country?
That's always been my experience

And if the BIL owes monies to some Gov. wouldn't his departure be denied?

Just asking

Cheers
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Caribsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 21:48   #113

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

he owes $5700 for child support and $3500 on back taxes when he won on a slot machine in Las Vegas back in 2010

I have mad respect for my brother in law, for the man that he is. For him to hold down a porter job for 17 years making $11 bucks an hour and was still able to scrape by and take care of his son is amazing. He is long over due for a vacation. In face he has never left the island.

scrape by, gambling trip to Vegas, while not leaving state?

none of my business, but the whole deal doesn't really pass the sniff test
Old 31-05-2013, 08:21   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribsailors View Post
And if the BIL owes monies to some Gov. wouldn't his departure be denied?
Nope. There is no requirement for U.S. citizens to check out when leaving the USA. Other countries, yes, but the USA, no.
Old 31-05-2013, 08:32   #115

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Nope. There is no requirement for U.S. citizens to check out when leaving the USA. Other countries, yes, but the USA, no.
So if they are a wanted criminal, due to appear in court or a bail jumper or just slipping away then they can just sail into the sunset, is that right?

When I was in Langkawi last year the FBI paid a visit to a very nice yacht in the slip next to me to arrest an accountant who had apparently done just that, allegedly with several million dollars of his clients money. Local officials did an "inventory" on the vessel after they left .... but they didn't seem to be interested in recording anything.
Old 31-05-2013, 08:38   #116
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Traveling abroad without a passport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous7500 View Post
He should definitely fight the back taxes from the Las Vegas winnings in 2010.

The porters that I have known made crazy money in cash tips....tax free.

I didn't know Las Vegas was on 'The Island' which BIL's never left..
Sometimes wonder how much actually registers with folks before they post... lol

Originally Posted by Mai-tide
I have mad respect for my brother in law, for the man that he is. For him to hold down a porter job for 17 years making $11 bucks an hour and was still able to scrape by and take care of his son is amazing. He is long over due for a vacation. In fact he has never left the island.

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 09:29   #117

Boat: Columbia 45 / Iroquois 30

Unless the IRS has filed criminal charges on the taxes it is not an Issue.

If the 5700 is the amount then he has to bring the amount down on the arrearage, not the fees and interest. And the amount is 2500 in back CS to not get a passport. Also if he can get the money most child support agencies can(not necessarily) will remove the fees and interest if he can come up with the arrearage.
Also extenuating cirsumstances such as letter of employment, family emergency, or if he has a payment plan set up and is paying to that plan can allow you to get a PP with an arrearage.
Old 31-05-2013, 12:04   #118

Boat: Alberg 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
A lot of posters seem to think this guy (the BIL) is the world's worst deadbeat dad. As far as I can tell from Mai-tide's posts there was one child involved, who is now 21 years of age, and no further child support is due.
The BIL is in arrears for over $5,000 dollars of child support, which should be paid, but over what I assume is a lengthy period of time isn't the worst payment record for someone who is a hotel porter who has recently lost his job.
One poster said he needs a different tax accountant for not having paid income tax on windfall gambling winnings. I daresay that most hotel porters don't employ tax accountants on a regular basis.
I think everybody should consider what it's like to walk a mile in that man's shoes.
Not always, if the kid is in university the obligation to pay continues.
There are similar rules for unemployed stay at home children.
Ironic since no obligation exists for either parent to pay if they stay together... then the kids can be left to their own devices to pay for it themselves.
Old 31-05-2013, 15:55   #119

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

The original question was easy - passport is needed. And the skipper should know that and check before departure or he will be held fully responsible at the other end - including the costs of deportation and fines. Which raises the question, if money is so tight, I assume the skipper is paying the return airfare anyway? Still, the answer is straightforward.

I think many of us react negatively to folks who ask what they can get away with rather than what is the right thing to do. Clearly the right thing to do is to deal with this debt - at some point he will have to so best to just face the music. Dealing with it may be getting legal aid and challenging it rather than paying it. But trying to ignore/avoid dealing with something as serious as this is not something that will garner much respect among a lot of responsible yacht owners. Please note that I didn't say anything about the source of the debt or whether it is fair - I don't care. Rationalize away, but the truth is that there is a legal obligation so either pay up or challenge it in court. Putting energy into trying to work around it instead doesn't cut it.

Greg
Old 01-06-2013, 09:56   #120

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by mausgras View Post
So if they are a wanted criminal, due to appear in court or a bail jumper or just slipping away then they can just sail into the sunset, is that right?
Yep.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: