Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-05-2013, 21:44   #91

Re: Traveling abroad without a passport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
Maybe I'm behind the times, but I didn't think that the U.S. normally does exit clearances. There was a thread recently on how hard it was to get one. There was a Mexican port requiring one to enter.
You are correct. American citizens don't 'clear' out when leaving American ports. You just raise sails and wave goodbye.(wave optional)

I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 21:53   #92

Boat: 1974 Westsail 32
Thumbs down Re: Traveling abroad without a passport

This guy sounds like a real piece of work.

Old 28-05-2013, 21:54   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Ah, that does not sound like a child support debt at all. Has the BIL tried to get a new passport??. I would think he could still. Debt to a state welfare office or for taxes is actually not reason for passport denial.

BTW I actually agree that child support enforcement is a little too aggressive.

Some of us here are quite poor, myself included.
If the BIL's credit report reads along the lines of "State of Oregon Dept of Health & Human Services - Division of Support Enforcement", then he'll likely have to hold the hands of the State Dept rep, because they're likely to just see it as child support debt. But I agree with you. He probably just has a jugdement, which is not at all a child support debt. His is akin to having an unemployment overpayment due. Certainly not a bar to passport issuance.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 08:07   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
Maybe I'm behind the times, but I didn't think that the U.S. normally does exit clearances.
The problem is not leaving the U.S. The problem is being admitted into anywhere else. Without a valid passport, with an expiration date at least a couple of months out, you are going to be turned away from almost every country in the world that you would want to visit.
Old 29-05-2013, 08:19   #95

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

He should apply for a passport renewal. If he doesn't have any felonies in his background check, most likely he'll get a new one! Mauritz
Old 29-05-2013, 08:57   #96

Location: Everywhere that you want to be! "And, some that you don't!??
Boat: Boston Whaler
Send a message via AIM to UnExCorp Send a message via Skype™ to UnExCorp

This is all very nice:

But, the the real truth is that there are Illegal's, in that of "Every Country," all over the World! "Albeit, they try to negate that problem as best that they can -with such measures as that so outlined - But, No country, big or that of small, has that of a Electric/other fence around its circumference!

Not that of an advocate - either way! But, this naivety, with regards to such, is utter nonsense - If your in the know, and you wish to be under the radar, with that of money/resources, there are all kinds of ways that an country may be that of: Exploited!

Domesticated, Civilized, and an obedient-populace - see the world in that of a rosy color -But, for that of Operatives/other, this world, for them, is a much different kind of objective: Having one's "specific" identity found - is not exactly, what their looking fore - But, for that of the Majority: They like "the feeling" of that of some measure of relative-Safety, and that of Security -For which, is quite right - In its "Objective!" But, for the most part - All to Elusive - And, what more, "they" already know it!

Obviously, he is not that of DEA, FBI, CIA, NSA, Delta force/Seal -KGB/cartel -other?

He's, this B.I.L., is just that of an innocent man -relitively speaking, with that of inncocent objectives, all the while, found with limited funding!

1 Example: Home State!

(
James Joseph "
Whitey
"
Bulger
, Jr. (born September 3, 1929) is a former organized crime figure, now fugitive, from South Boston, Massachusetts
)

D.T.
YVR -OGG!
Old 29-05-2013, 09:13   #97

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
He should apply for a passport renewal. If he doesn't have any felonies in his background check, most likely he'll get a new one! Mauritz
I'm pretty sure that past criminal history is no barrier to obtaining a passport. It may be a barrier to entering some countries. George W. Bush had to obtain special permission to visit Canada because of a US DUI conviction which is a felony in Canada.
Old 29-05-2013, 09:31   #98

Boat: wharram tiki 26

By no means am i advocating anything dodgy, but I am pretty darn sure there are a lot of people who make up their own minds about all the hoops they have to jump thru to get to places.

After all some cruisers are very resourceful Yes and before you say, they will spoil it for the rest of us, this may be true.

I often wonder if the perception versus the reality regarding border control are as efficient as is made out to be here sometimes. I suppose one would live in interesting times to say the least if you tried it on with some of our more paranoid regimes in the west. Australia and the U.S. come to mind.Yet they are not omnipresent either.

Then again those keeping a low profile for whatever reason, probably will not appear on forums such as this. The correct paper work and all requirement complied with to the 'nth degree may not be a true reflection of a persons character imho.
Old 29-05-2013, 09:52   #99

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

The USA is overfull with people from other countries here without visas/passports!!!
In fact, there is an entire industry for illegals, finding them, returning them, helping them, hiring them..
Not just the uneducated either, many come here for college and never leave as required.

I frankly think the BIL story is a fabrication but doesn't really matter.

It will not be pretty once governments have total control.
Old 29-05-2013, 09:59   #100
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1977 Pearson 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mai-tide View Post
I have mad respect for my brother in law, for the man that he is. For him to hold down a porter job for 17 years making $11 bucks an hour and was still able to scrape by and take care of his son is amazing. He is long over due for a vacation. In fact he has never left the island.
He should definitely fight the back taxes from the Las Vegas winnings in 2010.

The porters that I have known made crazy money in cash tips....tax free.
Old 29-05-2013, 10:24   #101
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless Again

A friend's father was a Filipino who stowed away and came to America without papers. He worked hard and became a citizen. However, given your BIL's track record, they'll probably kick him out.
Old 29-05-2013, 10:34   #102
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
The problem is not leaving the U.S. The problem is being admitted into anywhere else. Without a valid passport, with an expiration date at least a couple of months out, you are going to be turned away from almost every country in the world that you would want to visit.
I was responding to a side track about someone saying the skipper getting in trouble leaving Hawaii. Wasn't disagreeing about the passport.
Old 29-05-2013, 10:54   #103

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mai-tide View Post

Update. Bil went and talked to cbp and they said as a united state citizen he is entitle to travel anywhere on the face of the planet. However being granted entry into another country is another thing.
You mean Cuba is now allowed?
Old 29-05-2013, 12:02   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
I often wonder if the perception versus the reality regarding border control are as efficient as is made out to be here sometimes.
I don't think anyone has made out border control to be all that efficient. It is not. There are lots of holes, and lots of people squeeze through those holes. Everybody knows that.

And then there are some who get caught. Definitely the minority, but the consequences can sometimes be pretty dire if you happen to be the one.

So it is a matter of understanding the risks, deciding what you want to do, and then accepting the consequences. Congratulations if it works out and you don't get caught, but don't expect any sympathy if it doesn't work out and you DO get caught.
Old 29-05-2013, 12:50   #105

I thought this forum is to inform people. By the looks of thing it's filled with haters, idiots and trolls.

Bottom line it's clear that traveling without a valid passport is no bueno.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: