Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-05-2013, 07:06   #76

Re: Traveling abroad without a passport

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Would you be kind enough to show me in this thread where it states that the individual does not have a valid passport?
Are you kidding? That's what the whole thread is about. Take a look at the original post. His passport either has expired, or is about to, and he doesn't want to renew it, because then he would have to pay the back taxes and child support. Regardless of that, he still wants to be able to travel internationally.

Yes, people are jumping to conclusions concerning some of these other issues, but still... Thinking that it is okay to travel internationally without a valid passport is just STUPID!

Old 28-05-2013, 07:21   #77
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Are you kidding? That's what the whole thread is about. Take a look at the original post. His passport either has expired, or is about to, and he doesn't want to renew it, because then he would have to pay the back taxes and child support. Regardless of that, he still wants to be able to travel internationally.

Yes, people are jumping to conclusions concerning some of these other issues, but still... Thinking that it is okay to travel internationally without a valid passport is just STUPID!
I belive he has a valid ,(soon to expire )passport..

Old 28-05-2013, 07:27   #78

Quote:
Would you be kind enough to show me in this thread where it states that the individual does not have a valid passport?
What This whole thread is about traveling without a passport,

Quote: My brother in law wants to know if it is ok for him to sail from Hawaii to the Philippines without a passport. However he will be carrying his Hawaiian state id and his birth Certificate from Hawaii. He is not able to renew his passport due to the fact that he owes child support and taxes.

https://svgoodonya.blogspot.com.au/
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 07:38   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I belive he has a valid ,(soon to expire )passport..
All countries around the world require a valid passport for entry, but a lesser-known requirement for some countries is that a passport must be valid for a certain number of months from the date of entry, or a certain number of months after the passport holder leaves the country. Each country makes its own rules in this regard, and the rules sometimes change, so it is wise to know before you go. For holders of U.S. passports, the expiration date is on the inside front cover, next to the passport holder's photo. After that date, the passport is no longer a valid travel document. Some countries, however, refuse to allow entry to anyone holding passport that expires in less than three or six months. Very often, the traveler will not get that far, since airlines and cruise ships routinely deny boarding to any travelers without the correct documents -- including those whose passports expire too soon. Customs officials tend to be strict about these requirements — a passport with five months and three weeks of validity would be turned away.

https://svgoodonya.blogspot.com.au/
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 07:50   #80

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Just to be clear, you can't be denied a passport for failure to pay all debts. Child support, along with repatriation and medical assistance are about it. Repatriation is what it would cost the government to send you back to the US and medical assistance is what your BIL would need after the Filipino cops beat the **** out of him. It's all here.
USA.gov: * Passports: Denials, Revocations, and Restrictions
Old 28-05-2013, 07:50   #81
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

I am well aware what this thread is about. I am merely trying to make the point that the individual currently has a valid passport.
The wording of many of the posts here indicates that many of the posters think that such is not the case.
The original poster first indicated that he did not think his brother in law could legally travel on a valid passport that was going to expire in July.
That has evolved into many posters apparently thinking this individual is flouting the law by travelling on an illegal passport.
Tain't so.
The individual in question has not gone anywhere on an illegal passport.
He may never do so.
Visa requirements were not mentioned in the original post, it was only about the passport. This thread has mutated well beyond the original subject.
Old 28-05-2013, 07:51   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Customs officials tend to be strict about these requirements — a passport with five months and three weeks of validity would be turned away.
Yep. Had a buddy who flew to Paris on business once and was turned back at the airport for this very reason. He was only supposed to be there for a couple of meetings--three days and then home--so he thought that it wouldn't matter that his passport was going to expire in a few weeks. It mattered. Believe me, that was one VERY awkward conversation with his boss, trying to explain why he wasted his time and the company's money, flying to Paris and back, and then stood up the client to boot!
Old 28-05-2013, 07:55   #83

And you can't get a visa with an expired passport.
Travel Visa - Apply for Visas to Worldwide Destinations
Old 28-05-2013, 08:26   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mai-tide View Post
...according to my friend in the Philippines you can enter and stay until your visa or passport expires.
Completely and utterly wrong! U.S. citizens traveling to the Philippines must hold a valid passport that does not expire for at least 6 months after the date of their arrival. So, it is already too late for him to be legally admitted to the Philippines.

I found this information, and other related restrictions, on a number of official government websites, with only about a minutes worth of googling. You might suggest to your idiot of a brother-in-law that it would be worth a minute of his time to avoid some very expensive problems later on.

And I agree with those who say that the captain would have to be an idiot, also, to allow anyone to join the crew who does not have a passport that is valid for at least 6 months out.
Old 28-05-2013, 08:33   #85

Actually I don't think he needs a visa at all if he has a return air ticket provided he leaves before the passport expires.

Nationals of countries which have diplomatic relations with the Philippines are generally allowed entry into the country without securing a temporary visitorís visa from the Consulate if their stay does not exceed twenty-one (21) days. Visitors availing of this no-visa privilege must enter the Philippine for tourism purpose and must hold a round-trip or onward travel airline ticket, which must be presented before Philippine immigration authorities upon arrival at the port of entry in the Philippines.

Philippine Consulate General in Los Angeles
Old 28-05-2013, 10:29   #86

I guess fsmike here is the only one that read my original posting correctly. Most of ya are way off the topic.

Update. Bil went and talked to cbp and they said as a united state citizen he is entitle to travel anywhere on the face of the planet. However being granted entry into another country is another thing.

We confirmed my bil will not have any problems returning back to the states even tho his passport is will expire by than. Heck even if you lost ur Id passport, all cbp is going to do is run ur fingers prints and id u there.

With all that said, my bil took off yesterday and is now headed to Guam with the intent to fly back to Hawaii. Paid for by the ship master.

Most of you guys don't here dont understand that we all are not upper class living the life of the rich and famous.

I have mad respect for my brother in law, for the man that he is. For him to hold down a porter job for 17 years making $11 bucks an hour and was still able to scrape by and take care of his son is amazing. He is long over due for a vacation. In face he has never left the island.

This stupid child support thing only recently emerged, it was when his son was only 2 years old and the mother of his child moved to Oregon for 3months there trying to start her life while there she went on welfare for those 3months. Now the state of Oregon wants there money back from my bil with mad interest. She actually received $300 a month which total out to $900 , with interest for all these years comes out to be $5700.

Which I think it's bs. Cause my bil raised his son from the age of 3y to now 21y.

Like fsmike said you guys can judge a person without being in there shoes.

Btw I'm married to his sister.

Quote:
I am well aware what this thread is about. I am merely trying to make the point that the individual currently has a valid passport.
The wording of many of the posts here indicates that many of the posters think that such is not the case.
The original poster first indicated that he did not think his brother in law could legally travel on a valid passport that was going to expire in July.
That has evolved into many posters apparently thinking this individual is flouting the law by travelling on an illegal passport.
Tain't so.
The individual in question has not gone anywhere on an illegal passport.
He may never do so.
Visa requirements were not mentioned in the original post, it was only about the passport. This thread has mutated well beyond the original subject.
Old 28-05-2013, 13:09   #87
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Traveling abroad without a passport

He should try Yacht Delivery at $5 an hour...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 13:33   #88

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
Then you will be safely a mile away and have his shoes.
Old 28-05-2013, 13:39   #89

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mai-tide View Post
This stupid child support thing only recently emerged, it was when his son was only 2 years old and the mother of his child moved to Oregon for 3months there trying to start her life while there she went on welfare for those 3months. Now the state of Oregon wants there money back from my bil with mad interest. She actually received $300 a month which total out to $900 , with interest for all these years comes out to be $5700.

Which I think it's bs.
Ah, that does not sound like a child support debt at all. Has the BIL tried to get a new passport??. I would think he could still. Debt to a state welfare office or for taxes is actually not reason for passport denial.

BTW I actually agree that child support enforcement is a little too aggressive.

Some of us here are quite poor, myself included.
Old 28-05-2013, 13:40   #90
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
I doubt the boat would be given clearance from HI, given the required documentation for each person on board. If the captain should fail to mention the BIL, he commits a Federal offense and will be subject to severe penalties.
Maybe I'm behind the times, but I didn't think that the U.S. normally does exit clearances. There was a thread recently on how hard it was to get one. There was a Mexican port requiring one to enter.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: