Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-05-2013, 17:56   #61

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)
Re: Traveling abroad without a passport

I don't think this guy wants to go to the Philippines especially, he just wants to go for the boat trip there and back. That's not American arrogance, but personal irresponsibility when he should be working to pay his child maintenance and taxes.
Any boat owner silly enough to take him is equally culpable because they should know the law. If they are caught, which is most likely, the best case scenario, after a "pleasant stay at the Manila Hilton" would be a hefty fine and deportation. The worst case scenario would be a long term prison sentence for everyone for people smuggling and confiscation of the yacht.
Yeah! !! Tell your BIL great adventure, go for it, sounds like he is the sort of person that deserves the holiday.

Old 27-05-2013, 17:57   #62
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Never realized our American brothers had to be debt free to get a passport !!!
Maybe more countries should do that.
I know in Italy if you have a police record you can't get a passport.
I also believe that arrogant people come in all shapes and sizes and all countries...

Old 27-05-2013, 18:24   #63
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Traveling abroad without a passport

Okay... lets get this clear... your looking for a skipper and crew to help you deliver a boat you've just bought on the W Coast and want to take home to Hawaii...
Your BIL wants a boat ride adventure to the Philippine's.. from Hawaii...
Can't you buy him a ticket to where you are then he can skipper for you to Hawaii.. that way he CAN go ashore...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 18:38   #64

Boat: Cooper 416

Might as well give it a shot. Seems like he's already won the deadbeat of the year award.
Old 27-05-2013, 18:56   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
A passport will not be issues if you have more then $5000 in back child support owed.
Under the original law passed in 1997 it was $5000 but it was lowered to $2500 In 2007 IIRC.
Old 27-05-2013, 18:58   #66

I doubt the boat would be given clearance from HI, given the required documentation for each person on board. If the captain should fail to mention the BIL, he commits a Federal offense and will be subject to severe penalties.

https://svgoodonya.blogspot.com.au/
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 20:21   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

A lot of posters seem to think this guy (the BIL) is the world's worst deadbeat dad. As far as I can tell from Mai-tide's posts there was one child involved, who is now 21 years of age, and no further child support is due.
The BIL is in arrears for over $5,000 dollars of child support, which should be paid, but over what I assume is a lengthy period of time isn't the worst payment record for someone who is a hotel porter who has recently lost his job.
One poster said he needs a different tax accountant for not having paid income tax on windfall gambling winnings. I daresay that most hotel porters don't employ tax accountants on a regular basis.
I think everybody should consider what it's like to walk a mile in that man's shoes.
Old 27-05-2013, 20:41   #68

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear, FSMike... what I meant to say was if you have gambling losses as well as gambling debts, you can write one off against the other. The difficulty is proving you lost! You don't need a tax accountant but once a year but unless you are sleeping with an IRS agent, you need one! Phil
Old 27-05-2013, 21:00   #69
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'

I'm with you FSMike, there seems to be a rush to judgement here, found frequently. I once overstayed my visa by one day in Australia, and it was noticed by the officials in the airport, it was due to a rescheduling by Quantis, I told them, they could keep me, but they insisted that I get on the plane.
Old 27-05-2013, 23:04   #70

This has nothing to do with the outstanding tax or CS, but about a person wanting to flout the law of his and most every other country, by traveling without a valid Passport. It does not matter why he has no passport, nor do I care. Where all cruisers that I know or have come into contact with, make a point of knowing all the requirements for the Port they are leaving and the Ports they will be arriving at. If some start to bend, or ignore these rules then we all can expect to be ridden a lot harder by the officials. At the moment in some country's your lucky if customs come anywhere near the boat.

https://svgoodonya.blogspot.com.au/
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 02:49   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mai-tide View Post
To Clarify for everyone. My brother in law is not a dead beat father, his son now is 21 y, he owes $5700 for child support and $3500 on back taxes when he won on a slot machine in Las Vegas back in 2010. Which he lost it all back the same weekend.
$3500 in back taxes on winnings. Why didn't he stop when he cashed in and use the money to pay the child support and taxes instead of gambling it all away again. If he owed $3500 in back taxes then he must have won at least enough to pay off his child support. It's just a case of misplaced priorities. Heck if he is a low wage porter the he should have stopped when he won instead of just loosing it all.
Old 28-05-2013, 05:37   #72

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
A lot of posters seem to think this guy (the BIL) is the world's worst deadbeat dad. As far as I can tell from Mai-tide's posts there was one child involved, who is now 21 years of age, and no further child support is due.
The BIL is in arrears for over $5,000 dollars of child support, which should be paid, but over what I assume is a lengthy period of time isn't the worst payment record for someone who is a hotel porter who has recently lost his job.
One poster said he needs a different tax accountant for not having paid income tax on windfall gambling winnings. I daresay that most hotel porters don't employ tax accountants on a regular basis.
I think everybody should consider what it's like to walk a mile in that man's shoes.
Not a dead beat... a bit of a tosser maybe...
You don't ever ever brick up the back door...
But then... I value freedom of movement and think 3-4 plays ahead.

Born To Be Wild
Old 28-05-2013, 06:35   #73
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
This has nothing to do with the outstanding tax or CS, but about a person wanting to flout the law of his and most every other country, by traveling without a valid Passport. It does not matter why he has no passport, nor do I care. ---
Would you be kind enough to show me in this thread where it states that the individual does not have a valid passport?
Old 28-05-2013, 06:44   #74

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

If he just wants to go to sea, how about to the mainland and back???
Old 28-05-2013, 07:05   #75

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Would you be kind enough to show me in this thread where it states that the individual does not have a valid passport?
Its not about currently valid... its about valid when he arrives in the Philippines or if they'll not just refuse him or the boat entry on arrival.. not everyone in the world thinks a passport is valid till the end date... regardless of the PRINT..
This was posted regarding the BIL in MaiTide's current ad for Skipper and crew...

By the way. As my ad stated I'm looking for a skipper as well. I'm not trying to pay the usual fees. I'm looking for a captain that wants more experience and to add more hours under their belt. I'm willing to pay airline ticket back to states and all provision while at sea.

So please don't pm me with your fees. I'm not interested, if I really need a skipper I can always take my brother in brother in law, he is a license 100 ton captain. I just don't want to owe him favors or hang out with him weeks at sea. Worst comes to worst my brother in law will skipper the sailboat with out me to Hawaii.

So... there's a little more at play here than meets the eye methinks..
Who wants to bet.... "Its another BIL"...

PS; no PM's from me... I don't do 'Internal US'... no work visa and not grinding an axe

Born To Be Wild

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: