Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2015, 17:53   #16
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Traveled to 9 countries without a passport

Now he was deported from a country he will never get in anywhere. Stupid.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 02-04-2015, 18:13   #17

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Sure he can, he doesn't use a passport remember?

I can say I have traveled to most of the countries on the list, and while I usually clear through immigration, a few times I have had officials ask bribes, and rather than pay I have become illegal entry. I just just explain to the next country and they don't see any problem.

I can say it would be really easy to go without a passport in any of the places mentioned and probably any country in the world.
Old 02-04-2015, 18:18   #18
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Got 110 countries under my belt and very few of them never asked for a passport. Not sure I see the sport in breaking local laws wherever you travel, not that hard doing it legally after all.
Old 02-04-2015, 18:28   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

He is only ban from Hong Kong for a one year period and must have a valid passport if he ever wants to enter Hong Kong legally.

Btw my bil did not break any U.S. laws, only international ones

I asked my bil why did he choose Hong Kong as the country to retun home to. He said that's the only country willing to pay for his return ticket back to the states. Hong Kong is more liberal I guess.

He also said the U.S. embassy would not provide any financial assistant unless your a victim of a crime or a fugitive of the states. ( must be wanted for a serious felony, (no parking ticket) to get a free ride back to the states)
Old 02-04-2015, 18:33   #20
CLOD

Boat: none

your bil is a bum
Old 02-04-2015, 18:53   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
your bil is a bum
I totally agree.

But this bum was able to travel the world for free and manage to get a free flight back to the states.

Durning his whole stay oversea, not once he ever reached out to me for some financial assisant from me. He would randomly send me email, stating he is ok. He sent me a few photos of the women he met in Thailand. Some were questionable as to why sex they were. But most were smoking hot. He stated to me that southeast asia has the most mazing food that he have ever tasted. Yup he tried dog and cats, rats, snakes, bugs, the whole shabang.... Pho soup is his favorite of all.

I don't know what the future holds for my bil now that he is back in the states. I would only imagine how hard it would be for him to conform back into the rat race here. Working 9-5 job.
Old 02-04-2015, 19:19   #22

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mai-tide View Post
I totally agree.

But this bum was able to travel the world for free and manage to get a free flight back to the states.
And probably not under the living conditions most of us would want, except maybe a few days, if that. As for the food, he must have a strong stomach. I carry Pepto Bismol by the gross every where in Asia, and use it at the slightest sign of indigestion. Most Americans are not use to tropical bacterias.

And he must be very lucky. Getting stuck in a foreign prison is not something I'd take a chance at.
Old 02-04-2015, 21:42   #23

Quote:
He is only ban from Hong Kong for a one year period and must have a valid passport if he ever wants to enter Hong Kong legally.

I asked my bil why did he choose Hong Kong as the country to retun home to. He said that's the only country willing to pay for his return ticket back to the states. Hong Kong is more liberal I guess.
I think countries with a lot of money don't mind to pay to deport people. I almost got deported from New Zealand, and I didn't do anything wrong besides have mold growing on my boat and rust streaks.

Are you sure he is only banned one year? Chances are this is true, after he repays them. Also depending on which country you are deported from, sometimes you are on a red list for other countries as well.

I wonder if Australia would pay also, chances are yes (cheapest long term option), so tell your bil to consider it a good target nation to finish his next adventure.
Old 02-04-2015, 23:38   #24

It is my opinion you brother in law is a tard. It is people like him that cause no end of trouble for the honest and law abiding travelers. So when visas become tougher rather than easier we know who to thank.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
Old 03-04-2015, 05:19   #25

Quote:
How my brother in law managed to travel to 9 counties without a passport.
By flouting the law and committing crimes. Yeah. Great way to do it.

It's pretty easy to do all kinds of illegal things if you are of a criminal nature. The real trick is not getting caught. Most get away with it for a while. Most eventually DO get caught.

Quote:
I would only imagine how hard it would be for him to conform back into the rat race here. Working 9-5 job.
Why would he bother to do that? He has already demonstrated quite clearly that he has a taste for the criminal life. That's not going to change just because he is back in the United States. Face it. He is not a "bum." He is a criminal. Despite your protestations it is pretty obvious that you admire what he has done. Admire a criminal. Wonderful.

Frankly, I hope that your brother-in-law gets caught one of these days.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:39   #26

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Quote:
Uhhh yes he did. He didn't pay his taxes or child support and then left the country.

Quote:
So he's a shameless free loader. Again good for him you must be so proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
your bil is a bum
Yup, but apparently that is a compliment now
Old 03-04-2015, 06:52   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
So when visas become tougher rather than easier we know who to thank.
You are completely incorrect. In fact, if you visit a country legally you have more chance of making visa requirements change. How could he? the authorities in all those countries don't even know about him.

Anyone who travels without a passport is not a criminal. It's like saying someone who doesn't believe in god is a criminal, or someone who doesn't eat meat is a criminal. I am none of the above but I respect people's opinions and believes and what they choose to do so long as it isn't hurting anyone else, and not using a passport doesn't hurt anyone.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:54   #28

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

I'm surprised anyone would take him aboard with no passport. That's just asking for trouble when clearing in or out (especially in). I certainly would not risk it. If someone approached me for transit without a passport that would raise red flags...what sort of legal issues do they have that prevents them from getting a passport? I would not want to find out at my expense. Most countries would view transporting undocumented passengers as a very serious offense.

I know people here in Central America who have purchased passports because they can't travel on their home country passport without risking going directly to jail. Certainly would not want to risk entangling my life with their problems.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:17   #29

Boat: Rafiki 37

I'm a little surprised everyone seems to be dumping so hard on this fellow. Yes, he shirked some responsibilities, although if his kids were grown (as I think was written), then that seems minor. Circumventing legal border entry is illegal, but it doesn't appear he harmed anyone. If he was willing to accept the consequences of being caught, then it's a choice that harms mostly just himself.

It sounds like he lived nearly free in this panopticon of a world we've created for ourselves. It's not something to be encouraged, b/c if everyone did it, it would lead to chaos and anarchy. But I'm a bit surprised at the harsh response from some people here. Isn't cruising a quest for (greater) freedom? This fellow is either gutsier than most of us, or perhaps just dumber. Either way, he seems to have lived freer (at least for a time) than most of us ever will. There's something to be admired about that.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:40   #30

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

=== Currently he is staying with me and have plans on writing a book about his adventure. (Don't worry for all you folks, there gonna be several chapters about his time working in the brothels ===

I wonder - is he paying rent? Is he working? How long are you going to let him live off your largesse before you deport him from your home? And if he doesn't want to leave, then what? His mere presence in your house is tantamount to a lease in some parts of the US. Good luck evicting him.

I agree that many responses have been a bit harsh. He is risking himself and little else. Yeah, he owes almost 6K to his ex-wife and children. I wonder how they feel about it?

Hows that old song go?

"Hallelujah, I'm a bum.
Hallelujah, bum again.
Hallelujah give me a hand out,
to revive me again".
Closed Thread